Teenage Engineering OP-1

Don’t call it a toy. :smiley:

2 Likes

xD thats why i put it in quotation marks :wink: its a toy, in a way - and an amazingly powerful tool in another … hard to describe :smiley:

1 Like

I’ve had so much fun with my ‘toy’ the past 6 years, still keeps a full battery charge and keeps my creativity charged everytime I play with it!

3 Likes

hi there, just curious to hear if one of u is controlling an op-1 with OT via an audio interface?

I got an op-1 which is offered for sale, but if I’ll keep it that would be interesting to know if I can make use of the OT sequencer. Personally I’m running a Steinberg UR44 which has midi in and out. So that should work to, or not?

what can be done beside sequencing the synth engines, did you explore some crazy stuff yet?

thanks

Midi towards OP1 is a bit limited…
You can use it as an average synth, or drum machine.
You can also use the 4 CC MIDI LFO to control up to 4 parameters of the synth engine, FX or ENV.

Limited, but doesn’t prevent you to find other way to use both OT and OP1

1 Like

You need a usb midi host like the kenton.

I have one but never really use it, find it more fun to just use the OP1 as a sound source.

2 Likes

so the steinberg ur44 can’t do what the kenton host does? did you try or is that your guess? thanks!

No, it’s not a USB host.
You need something like a Kenton indeed, or a larger (and not much pricer) USB hub such as MIO4…
Anyway, if you have plenty of gear that can plug in USB, it’s rather interesting to have such a tool at some point
:slight_smile:

1 Like

I successfully control the OP-1 with an OT using the Kenton MIDI USB host.

Unfortunately, I have also ran into issues. Any “quick” knob movements or menu changes on the OP-1 results in the encoders locking and becoming unresponsive. A restart is the only thing that fixes is it. This only happens when using the OP-1 with the Kenton and a midi device such as the OT or DT. Its as if the OP-1 can’t process everything and gets overwhelmed.

Not sure if this is unique to me, I’ve heard nothing but goods things about the Kenton MIDI USB Host.

Add me to the group of previous owners who bought one again.

I really missed it. And with an OT this time around, I can do more with it.
Also, in mixing, and mastering my OP-1 album, I learned from a few mistakes made. Looking forward to another go around. Glad I still have my USB midi host!

5 Likes

What made you miss it the most? What was it about it that pulled you back in again?

1 Like

I hope to join you in the OP-1 reunion club. It combined with my DT + iPad will make the cutest little studio terrain.

3 Likes

The portability.
The “I can use these brief 20 minutes I have to create something to be proud of.”
The playfulness.
The focus on melody and composition because so much of the programming is under the hood as the synths just sounds so good 90% of the time.
The endless sequencer.

9 Likes

Yep this is why I love my OP-1 too, and the display and design of it just makes me want to use it every day.

Also it’s the only polyphonic sampler in my setup, use that instead of the synths most the time.

Drum sampler sounds great, love resampling stuff from tape. Pitching stuff in there can sound a lot like a vintage sampler.

The FX are crazy too, especially the CWO.

1 Like

I get that everyone has their tastes, but from the first day 7 or so years ago, I’ve loved it. It isn’t in my current primary workflow, but to me, it’s the kind of box that anyone can find a use for given its wide range of possibilities/approaches all in a small and well designed box. Further, most of the main features are super intuitive and there’s an immediacy that is so special.

Unless there are money reasons, given its compactness, I can’t imagine why anyone wouldn’t hang on to it.

1 Like

Nor was it mine when I sold my old OP-1.
But I wasn’t in a place financially where I could afford to keep gear that sat unused.

Since then, I got a better day job, with better benefits. Less time to work on music (hence my desire for such an immediate device), now, but more freedom to hold onto an OP-1 even if I don’t touch it for a month or so.

Also, sometimes you don’t know what you’ve got till it’s gone.

5 Likes

For me, it’s the ultimate travel/roadtrip synth ever made - try pulling out anything else to play with on one of those airplane food trays!

2 Likes

I let go of mine a few months back and except for polyphonic sample playback I haven’t looked back. It was great to have one while I did, but I don’t lead the kind of nomadic life that would have warranted keeping it. Everything that appealed to me the DT does better for me. I think it’s a work of beauty, even art, and I admire people who put up with it’s old school tape vibe, but for me it was just cumbersome and error prone. I do wish that somebody takes the concept further, though and if Elektron or TE ever come up with something like a portable, battery powered, polyphonic DT style sampler/groove box with an Elektron style sequencer and a few synth engines I’ll buy three for myself and one each for my kids.

1 Like

You might wanna check out the Deluge.

Assuming this was aimed at me. The thought has crossed my mind, but strangely enough looking at the Deluge doesn’t get my juices flowing. Not sure why that is, but it’s good to have peace of mind at least sometimes. I’d rather buy one of them bad ass battery packs to use my DT on the run if portability was what I’m after.

3 Likes