Teenage Engineering OP-1

Yep and that’s something I use every day! Haha, my memory’s useless, sorry for the bad suggestion!

1 Like

anyone use a Bluetooth transmitter with it for headphones?

Hmm just thought it might be useful for example if i want to record or resample live while tape is running. If im in track 2 and want to record radio on track 3 while tape is running i cant do it without forcing a split second solo on track 3… or am i missing something?

No indeed, I don’t think so.
OP-1 is full of similar “limitations” that are due to interface design… A trade for immediate Solo :slight_smile:

so can i play an op1 track out the line out thru some pedals and back in line in n record it back to a track using the ear “record what you hear”?
I’m new to op1 but that would be cool to get some long evolving ambient stuff.

You can do it when recording to tape. But use the mic input instead of ear. So headphone out to the external effect, end the out of that effect back into the line in on OP1. However it is not trivial to handle delays, if any. Moving takes accurately on tape is not easy.

1 Like

Hi there,

After seeing the price increase of MPC Live, I am considering buying an op1 to accompany my OT. This machine has always caught my attention, but you think op1 can really be a serious alternative to mpc. I have never been able to mess with any op1 and I have some doubts about its sound.

Thanks!

OP-1 is a killer synth.

mpc is a daw with quick access and pads.

1 Like

while the OP-1 can’t be compared to the MPC (mini digital synth with sampling and fxs VS real sampler and MIDI workstation without synthesis),

I think the OP-1 would be a more creative companion to the OT, as a creative soundsource and live keyboard,

I myself just received my OP-1. Digging the synths and FXs for now as I have no plan to use the tape tracks and sequencers.

1 Like

If/when you’ll find the urge to use the tape tracks and sequencer you’ll discover they are most of the fun of this little beast. Especially when used on its own. Otherwise I’ve always found that the OP1 sounds sit very well in a mix with other instruments (like modulars etc…). And the engines are quite fun to fiddle with !

1 Like

Agreed, the onboard sequencers lead to tons of happy accidents with samples and the onboard synths. And yeah, I’ve also been surprised how often I end up opting to use an Op1 sound in Daw based tracks in spite of having an AK, Dom1 and Ms20 sat around. Seems to fit in to a lot of mixes perfectly for what I’m doing :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have been watching some videos on youtube of people doing kinda lo-fi hip hop with the op1 and the truth is that I have been pleasantly surprised! There are very pro people out there!

I also ignored the Tape functions on the OP-1 when I first got mine, focusing more on the synths.

I did however immediately start messing w/ the Tombola sequencer. It’s really nice for ambient stuff. The Finger sequencer was released shortly after I got the OP-1 so I was having some fun w/ the animated gorillas and dudes.

The most obvious use for Tape is if you’re on the road somewhere and want to record an idea quickly, before you forget it. Beyond that, it came to life for me as I got into musique concrete-inspired production techniques. I’m still a beginner at that stuff but am having fun w/ it.

Anyway, take your time and have fun w/ your new OP-1. Its not like the Tape is going to get up and walk away from you if you don’t use it. It’ll be there for you when you’re ready for it.

3 Likes

Hey folks,

i got an OP-1 from Gear4Music today. Now i have a couple of days trying it out before i have to decide: This little beauty or the MPC Live :wink:

As i started it up it showed a Version 220 in the bottom Screen. As i had no clue if this is ok or not i simply downloaded the newest Firmware from their website and updated it - now it shows 218 on this very screen ^^

Have i just downgraded the OP1’s OS? Or what just happened? :slight_smile: Im a bit confused …

Hope you can shed some light in here. Thanks guys!

Yes. Contact Teenage Engineering so that they can send you the file for version 220.

thx Peter. Will do exactly this now :wink:

1 Like

Is your new OP-1 still working with 218? It seems people have problems with 218 on units released with 220… I couldn’t find any official news on this (as usual) but you should join Operator-1.com.

Read this… there is a link to 220:

3 Likes

thanks mate.

yep my OP-1 is still working with 218. i just booted it up again and it works fine. i notice clicks when using the Tape though. But it works perfectly.

In the meantime, TE replied to my Mail and sent me that new OS again. They said:

Attached to this email I will send you the OS 220.
You have a newer TE-Boot menu on your OP-1 and it will not work with OS 218

This is interesting. According to their response my OP-1 shouldnt work at all anymore :smiley:

Anyway, thanks for your replies guys. According to your Forum link @rephazer quite a few people ran into this issue already. TE should mention this in their Download Section i think.

1 Like

Interesting shootout between two very different beasts. Will be interesting to see which way you decide. Strange thing about the unreleased firmware update. Maybe some minor hardware change.

oh yeah, im interested in my decision as well @Hans_Olo :slight_smile: So far im quite happy with this new “toy” :wink: Gimme two more days - and i think i know what do do :wink:

1 Like