Teenage Engineering OP-1

I can see the appeal of that. The Deluge is a strange beast.

Adam you use the OP on your DU albums?
i have to stop reading thisā€¦. is making Extra Gas for an OP-1

Only on the Corpora DU album.

Maxia Zeta was all Elektron gear.

2 Likes

Thanks Iā€™m listening - dissecting the albumsā€¦ā€¦ i hear the Elektrons presenceā€¦ go for the OP parts

Last questionā€¦ You use it as a sampler or the synth engines or both? =)

Good Work!

For the Corpora album I used the synthesis, the sequencers, and the tape.
I also sampled an iPad Air running Patterning for drums on a few tracks.

OP-1 can do it all, but I would say itā€™s core strength is in the sounds it can create with the different synths and, for electro, the ā€œendlessā€ sequencer.

Iā€™ll certainly go back to some composing and sketching on the tape deck again this time around, but will utilize the Octatrack MKII to sample the tape tracks and make realtime final arrangements (4 outputs will make mixing the final product easier).

Hi Big Respect and Thanks for sharing some info about your workā€¦. Iā€™m considering buy the OP-1 :smile:

I think what I prefer in OP-1 is smashing two Finger drum sequences once against another and obtaining very complex rhythms out of it. This with instant octave up/down, you can have alive beats extremely quickly.
Same goes for little POs btw.

There is something in TE UX that is just joyful to play with, it just liberates the creative juice.

9 Likes

The two finger drumming is some of my favorite too. And the arpeggiator is great.

iā€™ve finally pulled the trigger too as need the instant ā€œiā€™ve got a tune in my head and need to get it downā€ rather than wait until tomorrow when I turn some equipment on and itā€™s gone, itā€™s portability and size big for me too

just waiting for next batch of UK deliveries

1 Like

My old friend has come back to me for the holidays. Such a dear.

Remembering all the old tape jumping tricks was instant. As if it never left.

4 Likes

Hello OP, my old friend
Iā€™ve come to talk with you again
Because a vision softly creeping
Left its seeds while I was sleeping
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains
Within the sound of Endless!

7 Likes

Iā€™m really regretting not grabbing my op-1 for thanksgiving travels. Theyā€™re simple and quick travels but it would have been nice to have while lounging in my old bedroom where I started doing shitty tape music nearly 25 years ago.

1 Like

mine arrives tomorrow, what is the go-to youtube tutorial thatā€™ll get me up ā€˜nā€™ running, I appreciate I need to RTFM too :sunglasses:

Teenage Engineering has a series of short videos.

3 Likes

cool thanks, just checking out cuckooā€™s at present iā€™ll get onto these next

Have to chime in here and say how much I too love the op-1. I wanted a portable groovebox and looked at a couple of options like the new electribe and the circuit. So glad I went the op-1!

For me the radio sampling has been a bit of a revelation. Completely random sampling has really opened my eyes to being able to create interesting and useable sounds from material I would never have usually gone out to sample.

Have yet to set up a midi host - what are people using? Initially I was trying to track down and op lab but they are now too expensive.

2 Likes

I was using a Kenton USB host, but I just bought a bigger mio4 which does the same + lots more stuff.

1 Like

Iconnectivity midi4+ works great for my midi hosting needs

3 Likes

Yeah Iā€™ve only heard good things about the iconnectivity stuff. Thanks!

Might wanna double check which iconnect model if you go that route - my understanding is they donā€™t all operate standalone. But if you get the right one (I had the original which is no longer made), theyā€™re outstanding