Teenage Engineering OB-4 (update)

I noticed that there is no dedicated topic on this device on this forum.

Were are all the OB-4 owners at ;-). Share your love and hate here.

Also, I noticed there was a rather quiet update 2 weeks ago that allows the device to save loops! quite cool!.

4 Likes

I noted in the HW Deals thread that this is 20% off on Teenage Engineering’s website right now. I too would be interested in opinions on those that have used this.

2 Likes

I got one when it came out, and while I loved the sound and design, it was very limited software-wise. Since then, they’ve updated it several times, and the most recent update allows you to save loops and export them via the Orthoplay app. I’m happy with it.

3 Likes

wait what? you can export them? how and to where?

2 Likes

I’m thinking the OB-4 would be perfect for an on-the-go setup. With a Syntakt, Micromonsta, M8, a small MIDI keyboard, a power bank, and a compact mixer (maybe an iPad and AUM can do this … just got a lighting to USB adaptor and need to play with what possibilities are available this weekend).

If I just take the Syntakt and one synth, I could feed that the audio from the synth into the Syntakt and forego a mixer to simplify things.

Throw everything in a padded briefcase and I should have decent vacation / travel setup. Thoughts?

5 Likes

Was not aware of an update. Will have to do this to mine, but I can’t find my charging cable. Haven’t used it in some months because of this. :man_facepalming:

They is a perfectly fine setup in my estimation.

1 Like

I don’t have one yet, ordered it now that there is a discount.

really stoked if its true that you can export loops!

1 Like

This video shows how to save loops … I don’t see anything on how to export

I saw on the OP forum that you can save 70 loops (if you add #71, then it deletes the first loop saved, so 70 is the max per the forum)

1 Like

within Orthoplay you can access the loops under „disk“ press play until there’s „loop“

the OB4 shows the number of the loop selected but there’s no way other than a mic’d OB4 to resample or export.

the OP-Z can be accessed by iCloud Drive but orthoplay not. that should be possible to easily add I think.

but it’s great and I like the saving process which is basically 1:1 and therefore not disturbing.

6min loops would be dope

ah so there is no way to export the loops except recording the audio from the ob-4 with a microphone? then the app is useless

The app is used for updating the ob-4.
So useless it is not. And it looks good .

How do you export the loops?
I don’t think OB4 can do this atm.

How is the latency? I emailed Teenage Engineering a while back and asked about it and they said it was 18 ms when using the aux port. That seems to high for me for playing synths/piano in real-time through the speaker.

No latency with the OB-4 using the aux input after an update awhile back.

3 Likes

Oh, that’s really interesting news. I might take a second look at this speaker then.

Question: Does the speaker emit different sounds for different events (for example when the battery is low or when a Bluetooth connection is lost)? This is something I hate :stuck_out_tongue:

The OP forum thread discusses latency … I will link the thread below … here is a comment made on March 29th in that thread by user “jacobs” :

…

hey,
these are the most recent changes:

• fm fine tuning added (hold play and rotate tape wheel)*
  • lowered audio latency (5 ms line in → audio out)*
  • improved audio quality*
  • various bug fixes*

thanks, jacob

…

Some others make comments that they cannot detect latency with their ears … I’m 90% ready to buy this.

Does anyone know how long this sale is going to last? I didn’t see anything on the TE website.

1 Like

Bought one today on sale to use for portable battery powered jams and monitoring with my OP-1, pocket operators, Roland SP 404 MK2, iPad, Roland TR08, TB03, and dude mixer. Now can jam at pool, parks and ocean.

1 Like

Not sure saw deal today on the TE website. Just pulled trigger on one instead of a Bose speaker.