Teenage Engineering OB-4 (update)

I can’t detect any latency when I play instruments through the OB-4 aux input. The OB-4 is a great portable speaker.

1 Like

Liam Killen has some good videos on the OB-4 … this one notes the latency issue at the 12 minute mark … but if you check the comments on the video, Liam noted in a comment one month ago that the latency issue was resolved in the latest update …

So yeah, I think I will be getting this … may need to fill out some job apps for a side job this weekend :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: too many deals going on right now!

1 Like

So @grahamenglish, I fear you made some of us happy with something that’s not possible? exporting loops with the app? or am I overlooking something?

1 Like

As far as I can tell, Instagram is the way Teenage Engineering announces (i use that term loosely) updates for the Orthoplay app. This is per a post 2 weeks ago after Orthoplay version 3.0.7 (released 11/13/22)

never lose a loop again. save your loops in disk mode with the new OB–4 update. head to the orthoplay app to download.
what’s new:
- added disk mode that lets you play your stored loops
- play white, pink, and brown noise in disk mode
- two bluetooth connection settings: simple (default, one connected device at a time) and party (multiple connected devices at a time)

Orthoplay version 3.0.9 Instagram post (released 11/19/22)

OD-11 now with airplay 2! play through multiple speakers and enjoy more reliable streaming with airplay 2. simply download the latest firmware update via the orthoplay app. to facilitate extension of your existing system please enjoy our limited promotional price.

But the Apple App store has notes that Version 3.0.9 adds OB-4 support, but Teenage Engineering only references OD-11 on Instagram.

Teenage Engineering could maybe just release detailed notes so we don’t have to go on scavenger hunts.

It seems like the save loop feature is a pretty big recent addition.

3 Likes

Should be fun way for me to monitor stuff on the fly and jam outdoors plus the cool loop features. I’d get the TX-6 if it was not so tiny now that TE added the recorder feature to USB. So I’ll get a small Tascam recorder for $200 vs $1200 for portable audio recorder interface.

No silly sounds from the OB4

1 Like

Picked one up now. Looking forward to pumping Christmas music thru it by the tree.

1 Like

I’m getting this for similar reasons … on-the-go good quality speakers in a compact form. I had been using iLoud micro monitors when outside my studio, which are nice, but kind of pain to travel with and not a good option for setting up outside. I’m glad the latency has been resolved … I needed to confirm that before buying. I’m looking forward to figuring out all the features it has.

I guess I should start to do some research on field recorders … what Tascom model are you interested in?

1 Like

Looking at getting the Tascam DR-40X recorder and audio interface. Small, portable and under $200.

1 Like

Would be awesome if you could export loops via the app one day, but my main reason to buy it is to have a good portable speaker for on the go setups

1 Like

From the Engadget review of the OB-4: “The volume dial also hides a secret (or two). Beyond the mundane function of controlling the loudness of your music, it also syncs with the volume on your source device when connected via 3.5mm or Bluetooth.”

So, the speaker is using the volume changing impulses from the phone to change its main volume on the speaker itself when connected via a 3.5 mm jack? Then what happens if you connect a Syntakt? I guess no automatic volume changing on the speaker itself will take place then?

In general, I don’t like it when the speaker is allowed to change the volume on its own. What happens if there’s some static electricity sent via the cord that gets interpreted as volume changing impulses (this has happened to me on numerous occasions on my phone when using wired headphones) and you happen to have your ear right next to the tweeter? This can potentially lead to hearing damages!

yes, but then engineer’s made it work.

so it works

This is a helpful video produced by an audio engineer from Sweden who goes by the youtube handle Shimmery.mp3

Real good information on different types of microphones, placement, room choice and how to record the OB-4 on them.

1 Like

haha yeah I saw this one. kinda sucks that this is necessary haha.

1 Like

yeah … but there is still roughly a 5% chance (in my mind) that it may do exports since there have been 2 updates in November with little info available on what those updates do (fingers crossed) or may do exports in the future (seems possible via app if saving loops now exists) … I’m not counting on it, but I will know more in a week on what its current functionality is.

If not, it will finally push me into mic recording which I can then also apply to my acoustic guitar. I’ve also been interested in field recording in general for generating samples I can use.

The part in the video for using condenser mics in hallways and other rooms / areas for natural reverb also intrigued me. It could be that I start thinking “what if …” everywhere I go for sound recording possibilities and end up making lemonade from small lemons.

I just got the shipping notice from Sweden yesterday! I will do my best to share what I learn and hopefully others can use this thread as a better resource in the future. Thank you for starting it! :content:

2 Likes

I use my OB-4 daily both as bluetooth speaker for when I’m in the kitchen/shower and as an amp with my bass guitar or synth instruments/whatever when I just need to have a quick sitdown and jam. For some reason I haven’t used the orthoplay app with it even once so I didn’t know there were updates out for it. (Thanks!)

It’s not miked up or anything but here’s a clip/phone recording I made from a few days back: https://youtu.be/FSqKUMKIk2o

Also; the red limited edition was the same price as the black/regular one at the time of purchase.

edit: Love the matching look!

6 Likes

Haha, you are right, I don’t think loop export will be possible. It might also be a legal restriction since you can sample radio. And even if thats not a restriction, it would mean data transfers over bluetooth, don’t see that happening any time soon.

So might as well look at the microphone recording options. I have a zoom H5 and a Electro Voice RE20 lying here (never used) so good excuse to start experimenting!

mine is set to arrive tomorrow! i’ve got the black one, but must say the red one looks dope too.

1 Like

Damn, this thing sounds good. Unpacked it this morning and been listening to music on it for hours. The gimmick parts are fun, sure, but it’s just a damn good portable speaker, no doubt.

EDIT: Couple of hours after the afore mentioned hours, I’m starting to love this thing. Goddam it sounds great. And it’s L O U D.

5 Likes

Well, OP-1 and OP-1F allow for sampling off the radio. I don’t think that’s a restriction at all. And firmware updates are sent over Bluetooth so it might be possible to receive data.

Who knows. It seems like the main purpose to being able to save loops would be to transfer them later but we’ll see. I got the OB-4 to be a good Bluetooth speaker and it’s definitely that.

I wonder if it can send fm as well as receive it, could have same chip as the op-1 field which can do both?