Teenage Engineering EP-Series [ The User Thread ]

You’re supposed to buy all three to get all the features that they don’t share. Don’t break capitalism!

1 Like

I’ve had zero luck with looped single cycle wavs so far.
just to check these worked for you in KEY mode?

im sick and using the time to bust out some tunes. surprised myself with this one, sampled synth sounds off the op-xy onto the ep133 and some of the leads really rip.

11 Likes

exactly why I asked I know your taste :grin: , perfect summarization too thanks

1 Like

Just put the Single Cycle Waveform in the sample slot, and switch the sound type to KEY (press and hold SHIFT+SOUND for 3sec to save it), also press the KEYS button to play it on the pads. That’s it.

1 Like

Broken already… Too late. Buy just one you like the most )

1 Like

is it possible to download the samples to the computer?

thanks, are the envelopes working for you for SC wavs (both sound and fader?) , might be user error, working for longer samples.

Yes, with this TE tool:

1 Like

Making bass samples in Ableton and loading them on the EP40, then playing and messing with stuff and crash…

Start making some more beats then crash…

Get going again for a minute or two and crash…

Lets try this again… crash…

Hey maybe this t… crash…

But I just want to make a be… crash…

A, for form factor and features so far, E, for initial user experience.

Well let me get back t… crash…

I had a go today with resampling loops by bars in the vinyl timestretch mode. I finally figured it out. I don’t know if it’s a bug or a user error, but after you resample, the new sample appears silent. I wasted a load of time before I figured out that resample was actually working.
Basically, I needed to go in and enable time stretch (and maybe some other parameters) to get it to play. I figured I’d mention this in case anyone else runs into this.

On the bright side, I’ve confirmed that you can really dirty up drum samples this way. I like that after the resampled thing is time stretched and back up to the tempo I want, I can go in and adjust the pitch while it’s locked to a certain number of bars to try out different sounds.

Also, pro-tip: The thing you resampled will revert back to its original state unless you do the save parameter function. A big time saver to save the parameters once you get it how you like it (time stretched, pitched, etc).

3 Likes

if you’re into dirty drums, ko2 adds nice flavour if you upload double (or even 4x!) speed drum loops and pitch it down

3 Likes

Thanks, yeah, I saw that one. I tried drums at 2x when importing a loop yesterday and can confirm you can also achieve nice results with just resample and pitching with the Riddim’s vinyl time stretch algo, resampling, and then time stretching back to original tempo by locking to bars. It also works well adding a bit of distortion and mod to add more artifacts before resampling.

I’m really happy with the sound out with the Riddim, and I think I’m closing in on having all the basic functions down. Still a few more things on the list to cross off. Very cool little machine!

3 Likes

I never realized the potential of this new LOP mode until exploring chops today.

So if you have a two-bar drum break going, you could have drum chops in the same mute group with it and use those as little fills, to do a kind of real time remixing of your main drum groove because the main loop drops out for the one shot and then comes back in on time at the normal position it would be at in that sequence since the loops aren’t retriggered, just automatically muted and unmuted. It will require a bit of planning, but once set up, it’s dope. You can even have certain chops time stretched to much longer length than they are, so you can do those old school d&b-style time stretch breaks, and then the beat comes back in on time. I’ve never seen this kind of thing on a sampler before.

8 Likes

legato mode
moving farther away from the door

1 Like

I say sell it. If you’re not 100% in then you’re already out.

Or
Keep it and buy that stupid mini mixer when it comes out and have three some.

1 Like

The other thing I realized about this and just confirmed is that this means you can sample silence to a pad and use it to sequence drop outs/mutes into your beat. :sunglasses:

While the manual says “one shots” it works with the key mode as well, btw.

I still have about half a dozen things on my list that I still need to learn, but my impression after using it for a few days is that this may be my favorite sampler after my SP202.

2 Likes

Really strange doesn’t work my end

I haven’t tried this, but are you using your own single cycle wave forms or the ones that @sm7x7 linked to in this thread ? I believe he said the files have to be prepped in some way to work.

Anyone seen the factory samples from the EP-40 uploaded anywhere yet?

The EP-133 stock samples are some of my favorite samples to use in other boxes. Such high quality.

1 Like