Teenage Engineering EP-Series [ The User Thread ]

you can do this with these settings

1 Like

nice but would be nice having instant change and quantized change alternate options direct for performance. but cool it’s an option.

you’ve been using it a while @schoolbabyboy , any features y ou’re after?

1 Like

yeah that would be nice, i keep my ep133 in the ā€œend of patternā€ mode but often do want to do a quick switch while making tunes.

if i had one wish for the ep series it would be to improve the sync capabilities between two ep units. at bare minimum i just want to be able to switch scenes on two units with a single button press. i could see myself having another ep if they worked together better.

3 Likes

you’d think program change could be linked to scenes for whatever the loaded project is… i know PC is implemented : ā€œuse bank select to reach all sounds 1-999ā€

would be nice if this had alternate mode we could trigger with a code!!

i’d love synced scenes at different time signatures for polyrhythms!

1 Like

haven’t sent it back yet, haven’t even opened it up yet… the only reason I initially got it was because I wanted the ting Mic…you know how rappers are :smile:,
but the ting mic from everything I’ve seen so far is not up to the quality I was hoping for and I’m also thinking those extra buttons on the mic might get in the way of how I want to use it… but more than anything else the speco mic that I got/posted in that photo earlier in the thread arrived the same day as the riddim and ting… and the speco is great, super cheap and I wanna get 2 more of them.

so now what’s holding me back from returning the riddim is really the fact that it has better features than the original EP and more memory… still contemplating.

2 Likes

what if…they implemented something like that when they introduce that lil mixer???

:fire: :fire: :fire:

it’s my fault for misreading the riddim’s manual, but i’m a little bummed out that there’s only one global master effect send that can be used at a time for everything

my misinterpretation was that it was possible to choose an individual effect send per group (maybe this will be possible in the next ep release lol)

still very fun to use though, pretty impressed with how easy it is to make cool stuff with just the factory sounds

anyone know of a good source for cumbia samples?

I finally had a proper play around with the Ting and, for someone not in love their voice, I’d suggest turning the gain trim all the way up. You can really overdrive it and the effects seem much more pronounced as well to me.

Also, the shake thing is actually pretty interesting if you lean into its strengths. For the delay, short staccato words spoken fairly loudly will basically repeat for a really long time (endlessly?) if you keep shaking.

The robot voice is cool as well now that I know that a short press of the big button gives you a deeper sound and the more you depress the higher the pitch your voice becomes. On the deeper settings it sounds sort of like a disguised voice in a crime documentary or something.

Edit: It works great with the 404mkii as well. Way less hiss than on the EP, and it sounds good with all the input effects and MFX. It will be a cool character mic, and will probably be even more useful when I personalize the onboard samples.

5 Likes

if the riddim didn’t come with the ting, would you keep it?

1 Like

Yep! I really dig it! It’s really in my lane though in terms of my music tastes. I deleted all the loops and really identifiable stuff (most of the vocals, all the skanks, etc), but all the remaining stuff is great and will fit well in my music. The synths are all very retro analog-inspired stuff that will be great for adding that extra sauce to tracks without having to break out another device. I’ve always wanted a dub siren and this is plenty good for my needs. I also like the effects and punch-in effects.

I will most likely use it as a module to use with my SPs. I’ll keep a core collection of drum, bass, and effect samples on the EP.

Even if I don’t do full projects on the EP, I can see myself building up drum patterns and then sample by bars onto the SP to process further and add stuff on top of. Also, I rarely need anything too crazy for bass in my tracks and this basically has me covered for all those times I just want something quick.

So, in a nutshell, I think it will be fun to mess with on its own, and will also be a real timesaver for me not having to go looking for basic stuff every time I want to work on a track. Plus, it has its own vibe, so I will be able to get stuff I couldn’t get from an SP, which you probably have already experienced with the OG KOII.

6 Likes

It does when you’re in live performance mode (sound + main) I think it’s even called vinyl mode in the manual

1 Like

Thanks for pointing that out, I sort of glossed over that in the manual, as I’m still learning all the features.

I just tried it out on a track made on the machine and it sounds good!

So, from what I can tell so far there are four ways to temporarily mess with finished tracks for live performance beyond jumping between scenes.

  1. Live mode: Allows you to temporarily adjust tempo, with a vinyl pitch effect, and instantly revert back to original tempo by exiting the mode (you can also disable functions in this mode so as not to accidentally mess up your beat while live jamming). As the name suggests, you should be this mode when doing live performance to avoid accidentally messing up your tune.
  2. Punch-in effects: Seems like multiple effects can even be layered by holding down multiple buttons. Sounds great. Are these different punch in effects from the KOII OG?
  3. Time Slip Looper mode: A live looper based on the OB-4 looper
  4. Pitch bend your sequence using the +/- keys while it’s playing in main or live mode.
  5. Maybe not worth mentioning, but live playing Supersounds (for instance, dub sirens) that are not sequenced in the beat over the top of the beat while it’s playing could technically fall into this performance category I suppose. Live playing samples too, but that’s pretty obvious.

Am I missing any?

Side note, since banks all share the same FX send amount, one organizational workflow I was thinking about today was instead of grouping types of sounds into banks by type (bass, drums, lead, samples), maybe it’s better to group sounds by how much effect you want. For instance, a dry bank, a mildly effected bank, a medium effected bank, and a heavy effected bank. I’ll need to give it a try and see how it works in practice.

1 Like

Yes, I understand that. On the EP-133, you get a similar effect by pressing the -/+ buttons during playback. What I wanted to know is whether the EP-40 has the same time-stretching that keeps the pitch constant, like on the 133.

yes time stretching is the same

2 Likes

has anyone found a way to temp lock current Punch in FX pressure on an EP?
i tried a few obvious combos like pressing main while pads are held, but nothing got the result i was after. all cleanly turns off/resets punch FX.

hoping some fun exploits will start surfacing soon…

main reason of asking is i believe the flow is looper → punch in FX.

The Fader, XY knobs and punch in FX pads have real potential when all used in combination, but i run out of fingers quickly. trying to change the XY with one hand whilst fader/punch in FX with the other can look ridiculous and has little precise control.

A way of latching the punch in FX would allow focus on the other modulation controls, switching between them for precise changes is where we want to get at. maybe it’ll become more muscle memory after long term use.

SHIFT + FADER is a neat tool to reset your scene after some changes.
I’m still trying to confirm 100% if the virtual fader positions are per scene or project, and if these are part of the commit per scene, or global across all scenes, think the latter. would prefer the former!

per project / global unless you record fader automation

yesh so fader automation is per scene and stored in a commit?

And I just time stretched some drums and confirmed it is as @doparoma said. No pitching when time stretching. The description you posted above must be referring to the live mode mentioned. I can also confirm that live mode effect is different from the +/- thing you mentioned. Both are available on the Riddim.

1 Like

Thanks, that’s good to know! :pray:

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the video, super helpful. The first one seems to work the same way as on the 133. The second repitch mode is really light on CPU, so it’d be nice if the 133 had it too.

1 Like