Teenage Engineering EP-133 K.O. II

resampling anyyy day now :skull:

2 Likes

The 2025 shall bring us all the faders that will not wobble, firmwares that stay strong and give us new features cathered with miracules, full pleasure of joy to build beats upon the long days and nights. OTiii, Tonverk, OPXYZ and all the stars above. Behold the new and brave world of 2025. :partying_face:

2 Likes

Happy new year all! I’ve been checking in on this thread a lot, and at this point i’m curious why they chose to announce that the cpu was only using half of its cores. It makes the current limitations around polyphony and effect routing seem arbitrary and due to poor optimization, and the lack of features like resampling or sample playback modes (loop, reverse) feel less like purposeful omissions. I have the 1320 and I really like it, but knowing that there’s a firmware update looming that will unlock its true potential makes me feel like I have an unfinished product and distracts me from just enjoying it as is. Also would love to see options for the arp direction someday :sob:

6 Likes

a year in and im just now starting to use this to sequence other gear. getting a template set up for when my midi hub arrives. does anyone know what CCs it sends? the chart in the manual is just a checkmark, im imagining its just mod and velocity CCs. as long as i can send mod with the fader im excited to try some weird mod mappings on the sh-4d.

We don’t know that at all.

1 Like

Based on replies from TE David, I think it’s safe to assume a firmware update is coming at some point

Tomorrow!!! Today!!! YESTERDAY!!!

The guy (TEDavid) has been such a reliable source, I’m certain it’s been out for a while we’ve just missed it.

I know my KO2’s unused cpu cores have been emitting a slight buzzing sound since a few weeks ago, I think they’re eager in anticipation as well, maybe already receiving an update from Teenage Engineering via their OS-1T all-aluminium, custom-made satellite system.

Ah yes.

1 Like

There’s a difference between ā€œa firmware update coming at some pointā€ and ā€œa firmware update looming that will unlock its true potentialā€.

There’s absolutely no guarantee an update will use an additional core or increase polyphony, and ā€œmakes me feel like I have an unfinished product and distracts me from just enjoying it as isā€ is a very silly self-inflicted problem

It’s a finished product. If somebody doesn’t like that product, that’s their problem

That’s your opinion, and you’re entitled to it as much as the other person is entitled to feel disheartened at desired and hinted at features not being available, yet :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s self inflicted, yep, but understandable some people may feel this way sometimes.

i just dont understand how anybody cares enough about this fabled update to have any level of emotional reaction at all. go make music

just gonna have to go ahead and mute this thread too. nobody knows how to absolutely murder a thread better than TE update absolutists.

6 Likes

I really like this device and use it often. I’m also mindful of a desire and wonder at what else it could do. IMO that’s an understandable feeling to have, especially in light of this thread’s content over the last year+ :man_shrugging:

Anyhow, apologies if my contributions have upset people here.

1 Like

I feel I’m being talked about :joy:, so let me publish an official statement from the person with an emotional response:

Dear fellow humans,

Thank you for your concern. I want you to know that I am fine. Don’t worry, it wasn’t really me, it was the adderall. I wasn’t myself. That said, I would never get emotional about products, I get emotional about the companies that make them and make statements that are either exaggerated, lack truthfulness or never come to be — especially during hype phases when people decide whether to buy or not and statements are made with heavy confidence by such companies’ alleged representatives about the product — in particular when such statements are accompanied by emojis.

I now realise I was wrong and I apologies if I hurt anyone with my actions or statements. It was never my intent. The last thing I want to do is hurt or disrupt someone who enjoys making music with their KO2 to take time out of their busy productive day enjoying their KO2 to write me to shut up and just enjoy making music on my KO2. I’m not like that, I have friends who love the KO2. I would never want to disturb these good people in their comfort.

I understand now, I have to do better. Please accept this apology and rest assured that I will be sleeping with my KO2 next to me in bed tonight. What I did was wrong. What matters now is what comes next.

I also hope TE-David can forgive me. He’s done nothing wrong, except tell a truth that unintentionaly became subject to a a significant time delay for it to unfold it’s truthfulness. I understand this too. Leave TE-David alone.

Truly yours, truly

The emotional guy who spent eight months of his disposable income to buy his KO2 expecting to fly to the moon with it upon the unleashing of its extra cores with a firmware that just hasn’t come yet, but whose problem with that is entirely his own problem and no one elses.

Thank you.

7 Likes

I’m sure there’s a mutual aid fund you can donate to.
/s

1 Like

What has been turning into a good learning experience for me is this: Never toot your own horn and talk about 2nd cores. People will build expectations of mythical proportions. Itā€˜s quite the lesson.

I’m sure a significant update will come to the KOII, I’m also sure it hasn’t because they don’t want a $299 device having feature parity with the $2300 OP-XY, at least until they sell the first run of it to early adopters.

1 Like

I mean, TE is the company that made the OP-1 Field 32 bit for some reason, hyped that it was 32 bit, and then proceeded to do nothing with that capability other than make it extra annoying to open its files up in apps that don’t support 32 bit files. Hype is definitely a factor.

That said, the KO2 might be one of the best values in music making gear right now even if it receives no additional updates. When they were on sale at B&H I almost bought another one for literally no reason.

It also sounds great. I spent an evening last week just listening to vinyl through the KO2. I was planning on digging back in to learning the sampling and chopping workflow, but I ended up just listening to like 5 records because they sounded great loud in my headphones just touching the compressor a little bit. Chops tomorrow I promise.

Anyway, there are pros and cons, but mostly pros. Love and good vibes to all my sample-based musician friends here in 2025 :joy:

9 Likes

Still love the koII, it’s goated, but I havent used it much since the Roland P-6 came along.

Both sound unique and are fun to use but
I think having audio/midi via usb-c keeps me cooking with the P-6.

A song mode isnt going to do much for me, but cant wait to see what te-david and co have been conjuring up in the lab regardless.

4 Likes

Saved me typing similar

Sure it will be part of one big strategy to maintain highest sales amongst all products! Imagine Elektron def do same

It seems like all these companies have chosen to not focus as much on updates and instead reiterations of the same products instead, or different products that share OS parody.
Not saying it won’t happen… but the timeline has obviously slowed since COVID has been forgotten… now just profit, profit, profit!!

1 Like

Definitely. Elektron segment their products egregiously.

What do you mean your newest sampler/drum machine doesn’t have lazy chopping across 16 pads? Zero polyphony modes? No arp or classic note repeat? To protect a 15 year old machine you just won’t modernize?

Why can’t I use 8 of the Digitone tracks for sample playback when it’s literally the same hardware and has stereo inputs?

1 Like