Teenage Engineering EP-133 K.O. II

Hi KOII gang!

Is everything ok with midi sync in ep-133? I’m on 1.23 and I can’t sync it with any groovebox via midi…hmmmm

Saw this in another thread on Facebook:

6 Likes

to be honest I still prefer the Roland P6 to the TE KOII when it comes to small portable sampler- P6 is almost perfect

3 Likes

Curious why you think so. I have both but have used them very little. Interested in your the thoughts.

P6 is far better in some ways, but not all in my opinion, they actually complement each other quite well.

P6 - better fx, more sample parameters, more portable, USB midi and audio, trig conditions, bit more hands on for tweaking, mutes.

KO2 - velocity(ish) pads, longer sequences, better at capturing threshold sampling, slightly better polyphony.

8 Likes

Thanks for clarifying.

Hi,
I have the firmware update problem on my new EP-133… I was trying all possible solutions I’ve found in the net, and nothing… RDY mode is shown on the screen, boot loader mode in upgrade utility do not reacting.
It get stucked during the firmware upgrade and I have no clue how to move forward. Can’t do anything!
Is there some other way to reboot the device insteead of turning on/off and hard reset from this place?
All recommendation are aprecciated!

Which browser are you using? It only works well with chrome

I’m using Chrome with the latest update, as it was recommended. The main problem is that I can’t do any action because of RDY “mode” on, as it will be connected with computer (even it is not!).
Are there some keys combination to make a reset/ and reboot the device?

Thanks in advance!

Try to force the MIDI API flag in Chrome.

  1. Open this URL: chrome://flags
  2. Set ‘Use Windows Runtime MIDI API’ to ‘Enabled’
  3. Restart Chrome and try again to install the firmware

2 Likes

Thanks Bernie for your solution. Unfortunately it doesn’t work neither. When turn on the device the RDY is on the screen, looks like it being connected to update utility in bootloader mode, and finally the rebooting is not working. I was trying different options (Mac, PC), and nothing works. All key combinations (shift/erase, enter/erase, REC/turn on) didn’t give any positive action.

More ideas to check, or shall I send it back to TE…?

What are the chances that your USB cable is broken or is a power only ,no data cable? Try a few different ones anyway.

Also, when I’ve done the upgrade the usb had to be plugged directly into the PC and not through a hub or it wouldn’t work. Even then I left it for a couple minutes before it fnally recognized the device in the browser, took patience.

Edit to add I used Microsoft Edge browser as it wasn’t working in Firefox.

2 Likes

Defo worth trying different cables. Cables that still work flawlessly on other devices (eg; external harddrive and charging laptop) caused issues on my KO2.

Watch here: https://www.reddit.com/r/teenageengineering/comments/18kn9gr/nonfaulty_ep133_but_firmware_update_wont_work/

I forgot to mention step 5:

  1. Use Chrome
  2. Use a USB cable verified to transmit data
  3. Go to chrome://flags/ in your browser and search for MIDI
  4. Ensure “Use Windows Runtime MIDI API” and “Web MIDI” is set to “Default”
  5. CRUCIAL: REBOOT THE COMPUTER AFTER STEP 4
  6. Try to update
  7. If this fails rerun step 3-6 using “Enabled” for each of the settings alone and combined.
  8. Comment if it worked,

hyped on this tune i made on the ep133 in 10 minutes for the final day of jamuary. did the lunch break speed run, organized the samples i was gonna use in the appropriate banks and freestyled it from there. finished it up on the 404 after work.

6 Likes

Boring question, but what about an update? Teenage Engineering please, have some love for the people that can’t afford the op-xy and still want to use the ko2 in a little bit more advanced setup. Midi input Channel support would be a great start

2 Likes

There hasn’t been an update for the EP-133, but there was a very minor update for the sample tool recently. It doesn’t seem like the product has been abandoned.

2 Likes

I get the impression, regardless of product, people EXPECT updates every 4-6 months or they feel neglected. LOL

2 Likes

I don’t feel neglected, I just want a minor feature for convenience that opens a whole new way of working. Like a midi channel per Bank. This would be so nice for external sequencing! And it’s an easy thing to implement, I think

2 Likes

KO2 was an unexpected hit for TE. And that revenue allowed them to develop other things. And so less time spent developing the KO2

Its not rocket science. The Dirtywave M8 being a great example. One company - one product. And that one product gets developed endlessly

TE have their hands full with the OP-XY this year. Sorting the bugs out and developing new features which keep the social media lot busy promoting the new features to sell more units for TE. Also bigger ticket items like the TP-6 and the mixer still have a road map of dev to keep shifting units in 2025.