Teenage Engineering CM–15

The price point for me is how does it compare to other mikes with built in A/D (assuming you would only buy this if you needed that?) at this price point- I think that’s fair enough…its a mike and a A/D, so $ is relevant to sound quality ‘expected’…there are a lot of mikes that cost a lot more!

Another question is who is this aimed at- people recording into computers/iPhone who don’t have an A/D? Most field microphones actually record so you only carry one device?

1 Like

If I’m ever multimillionaire (lol not happening) I’ll buy one of these just for the aesthetic.

4 Likes

It would be interesting to see how the Røde NT1 reacts below 500 Hz…

I’ll buy two of the pre-amps and put them on rollerskates :wink:

5 Likes

does TE better than TE

2 Likes

A new mic by TE with a built in converter, interesting. I wonder what the price will be?

3 Likes

Probably would be close to the other lines. I’ve looked at the polar patterns for various comparable and well regarded LDC mics and they’re all quite consistent, it’s a hallmark of a quality mic design and something the CM-15 seems lacking in. It seems like even moving your head around while speaking towards it would have noticable colouration.

1 Like

Says $1200 on the web site?

1 Like

Seeems like this is not aimed at the pro level mic crowd with treated rooms etc but more to the content creator and home guitar player that do not already own a good audio interface. Don’t see the benefit if it does not sound up to par with akg or sennheisers

1 Like

Ha! Gotcha! I’m working undercover and I just busted you talking about price. For the remainder of your sentence, you can only comment on the “Has…Lost Their Focus” threads.

But also...

I can be bribed.

11 Likes

Here is my positive take on this:

• The materials are extremely high quality and look to be manufactured to extreme standards of both aesthetic and workmanship.

• Simultaneous multi-connectivity is a big benefit to the podcaster or someone recording an outdoor festival/ performance.

• The included adapter has multiangle tilt which is better for a captive mic which will not be recording only direct sound waves or room ambience.

• Falls well within thematic of the existing TE ecosystem and makes sense in line with their focus on field equipment.

• Will fit inside the pockets of tight little pants.

7 Likes

I can only refer you to Thread for complaining about prices - The Lounge / Other Gear - Elektronauts

:slight_smile:

See also thread on ‘people who prefer to charge up and connect 2-3 expensive devices ‘in the field’ to record things…’

1 Like

:policeman: Save it for the judge.

2 Likes

That would certainly launch you into “cool kid” status. Just need to get some handcuffs so you can attach it to your wrist.

I think it’s been brought up, but I think TE can alleviate some of the negative feelings their pricing creates if they gave an explanation about cost. Anyone know where their stuff is manufactured? I can understand the pricing if it’s manufactured in Europe, or somewhere with strong labor rights. But, of course they don’t owe anyone any of that. It’s the price, don’t like it, move on. All the memes seem to benefit them in the long run as they certainly haven’t had any trouble with sales.
I’m mostly interested in how it stacks up with other mics in the same category, whether they’re super cheap, or insanely expensive. I always enjoy that type of data.

Turn it into hanging lightbulb holder. That’s how a multimillionaire would do it anyways.

2 Likes

As someone mentioned it’s really for ‘hip’ podcasters, or as something to add to their clean and minimal setup to be shared on Reddit/instagram. But honestly if people are into the design and aesthetics of it and get joy from it more power to 'em. I’m just not that into it.

For people looking for an actual practical device for their music making / audio content creation, this doesn’t make much sense unless you’re extremely space limited I guess. There’s much better and more useful options for the gigging or home studio musician.

Who are you and what have you done with shigginpit?

1 Like

I wonder if titanium alloy wouldn’t have been a better choice as it is the go-to choice in high end cycling where carbon fiber cannot be fitted and magnesium alloy is not of strong enough metallurgical composition.

Perhaps there was some middleground for a crossover with marvel studios to rebrand adamantium?

I just hope the TP-7 is like a field recorder and not a case of having to plug the CM-15 mic into it.

2 Likes

Has anyone made a really good mic for phone recordings? I still want that.

They outsource all of their stuff to countries like Malaysia and Vietnam as far as I know.

In comparison, Elektron makes their stuff exclusively in EU, which already is regarded as a premium.

6 Likes