Techno so stale and generic that originator don't know his own work

oh the irony ) i’m experimenting with industrial techno too. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
but i think, there’s a huge misconception, and proper industrial techno should sound like early einstürzende neubauten on acid.

3 Likes

Or Front 242 on nasty amphetamines.

2 Likes

Been there done that :slight_smile:

Mills is playing his decks and 909 as instruments like no other. Compare that to launching Ableton clips. Mills style now sounds dated to me but I completely enjoy his way of playing it.

Belgium’s gratest industrial/electro(nic) band!

6 Likes

It doesn’t sound dated but way more humanized techno mixes, combine that with the fewer later good techno tracks like some of Ben Klock, Dettmann, Tommyfourseven, must have some good old bangers and not always mix new shit! Saying this as a vinyl purist and hating computers and digital dj’s! I love the skill in playing vinyl, but nowadays no more skills just mixing in and out!

Front 242’s records have managed not to get too stale over the years, but I’m less sure about their live shows, not having seen them in decades.

1 Like

live still captures the drive, but sometimes bit cheesy/dated!

1 Like

I meant that the sounds and rhythms he uses sound dated to me now, not his playing style. I completely admire his playing skills still.

1 Like

For me music needs to be eclectic AND ‘really good’
So the genre comes secondary.
It could be a Davy Graham guitar track, Aphex Twin, Janes Addiction, Trad/Americana, Astral Projection, Ozric Tentacles, Miles Davis, Warp Records, DJ Shadow, Black Sabbath, Spirit, Beastie Boys, Shawn Lee, Carl Craig, cinematic orchestra, the Orb … or the series of A Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble.

That’s where techno loses me; it is so much more the swinging machine than the mojo of the man, that good nuggets are very hard to find.

1 Like

Still one of favourite listens.

I’m a bit of Jeff mills nut but have never seen him dj in a club. Only ever seen him play the arty shows - live soundtracks, orchestra set. I am always More interested in his sci fi projects.

Hope you didn’t miss goa gils birthday bash :partying_face:

2 Likes

Wtf… :stuck_out_tongue:

Bad trip bro.

I hate this thing so much <3

1 Like

Calling such a vast genre stale is stretching it. There exists generic techno of course., But there’s enough very interesting, beautiful, unique techno around. Just have to look past the old school revival and main stream.

Regarding Jeff Mills: it’s unfortunate and very strange of course. But I guess when you have such a big name people start to mimic your sound and possibly this could happen . I can’t imagine not being able to tell my own music from someone else’s even in that case, but then again it’s hard to imagine what it’s like to be in the position he is in and the immense amount of music he has created.

Shit happens. It’s not like he’s doing a Flod

3 Likes

And what does it mean in this context?

He managed to send tracks he stole from a producer to the label of that same producer.

9 Likes

lol that’s a bold move.

Waw!

Bold enough to do it but not smart enough to stop before getting caught. Seriously, how long can you expect such a business model to float…?

1 Like

Well, for ARTS Emmanuel it’s a good business model it seems.