Techno so stale and generic that originator don't know his own work

To me it largely is all the same, and with a steady be it slow rate of deviance it would eventually not be techno. There’s a reason the same machines and sounds are widely used since inception, it’s good and it works. For a down to earth feel I’d say.

It’s the drum being hit and the dancing around the fire that is important, needing endless variety, in some ways, is just a symptom of unhealthy modern life with an excess of information and variations.

While I do love new sounds, and being taken to new places and appreciate all the innovation over the years, getting back to the basics is always a good thing.

So, a devotee, so to speak, submitting and being accepted by an originator and to have the originator mistake it for their own is kind of inevitable.

Mistakes happen, everyone is human, and all 909s sound alike.

To be fair the perspective of seeing it as ‘generic and stale’ is totally valid, just one of the multiple truths.

And if that’s all our friends from beyond are up to, well, geez, come on let’s see some proper fuckry!

4 Likes

This happens ALOT many times due to bad labeling from the artist that submitted the tracks to the other artist I got hammered when I sent a few of my songs for remix without my name on them the Dj was nice enough to write a long detailed email as to why one must label everything and the amount of music they recoeve & make he went in on this exact situation and how it could go down a # ways Jeff handeled this with absolute class wish it was me that this happened to lucky artist lol

also Jeff Mills was a part of the group that created Techno so there’s that him Juan Atkins etc he’s the reason the 909 is now a standard for techno

Wow that is a complete Jeff Mills style rip LMAO well done

1 Like

not in the Belleville Three though :sunglasses:

Pretty cool track! But i still don’t really understand how this could have happened. I mean i sometimes forget about tracks i made but when i hear them again after years i still remember how i recorded it and whatnot. Even if it’s monotone techno stuff. The chord progression of this track isn’t outstanding or something but i think i would’ve remembered playing or programming it. Nonetheless i love Jeff Mills and like how they dealt with this issue.

4 Likes

I know it kinda was said already but I feel like it need to be said(though more popcorn may be needed) since we are talking abut a pioneer, perhaps a history lesson is needed …

House is from Chicago
Techno is from Detroit
Hiphop is from the Bronx/NYC
Modern Graffiti is from Philadelphia
Disco has it’s roots in Philadelphia(though it get a little slippery…)

As for the track at hand… It sure sounds like a Jeff Mills track and to my ears that have been listening to Electronic music for over 25 years… and that sounds pretty stale to me… but I am only me… Maybe if I hadn’t heard this style of techno for years(like if I was younger or new to the music) it may sound fresh, so I wouldn’t say there isn’t a place for music that sounds like this out there, and staleness is the the eye(or ear) of the beholder.

As for not realizing that the track wasn’t his, again if you had me put on headphones and asked me to name the artist Mr. Mills would be on the tip of my tongue so I can understand how he may have thought it was his based off it being a CD with other tracks that were his… I definitely don’t remember everything I do or make and I am a nobody with no one else’s tracks to mix up. I think that putting it out there that he/his record label messed up and how they plan on dealing with cleaning up the mess is top notch!

Honestly if I was the artist I would be pretty happy/amused that Jeff Mills thought one of my tracks was his! Especially when it seems like I was trying to match his sound/same vein, since I was trying to get it released on his label… AND they are not trying to plagiarize, because that DOES happen a TON…

5 Likes

I agree with all of this.

As far as the origins, I would just say that. Those are the origins of those styles/genres of things.

As time progresses, things spread out, styles get adopted, they are no longer necessarily FROM there, though they still did ORIGINATE there.

I get what you’re saying, but some of the best modern techno (as a genre/style) no longer comes from Detroit for example, and the same with House. I think people are also pretty good about prefixing locales to things too like “German Techno” “Scandinavian Techno” “New York House” that sort of thing.

2 Likes

Agreed 100% I think I got a little cranky old man syndrome on my post:) Plus I am from Philly so we always have chip on our shoulders… lol. Just makes me mad when the music is called from one place when the ideals and location played a big part in the sound… That being said, like you said, once it left that place and went into the ears and minds of people around the world they and their locations changed and morphed the music into all the great and interesting ways and sub genres and whatnot that are out there today… it’s also what I feel keeps the music fresh as it always has been and seems to continue to be “world” music. …

2 Likes

I think there’s basically a limited amount of headroom for being creative when you’re making “techno” music for moving hips on the dance floor. If you have too much harmonic content, it might take away from the rhythmic, trance inducing part. They’re also trying to mix together an hour, two hours of music, seamlessly. Really helps the task if there’s not too much variation.

I guess that’s part of the reason why there’s a difference between the best communal club music, and great tunes for shaking your ass at home with a beer in your hand.

well, try to listen to some goa trance from 90s :wink:

techno approach to induce trance is not the only possible one.

Yea, it was kind of silly, never mind.

Please God no.
I live in constant fear of the Goa trance revival.

8 Likes

yes, i am God, but how did you know?! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

It will come, you can be damn sure about it. Everything comes in waves.

1 Like

Especially goa trance. At my first goa rave i felt like i was floating on a wave going up and down for hours. Yes i was on substances. :smiley:

2 Likes

@Squadron yes. it will. i’m working on that myself :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’ve had it the other way around. Listening to some stuf scattered around in my music folder thinking it was someone else while it was in fact my own stuff. I’m not blaming substance abuse, but I am blaming substance abuse. Luckily my ears are fine but my memory is a little less accurate :grin:

4 Likes

Go(a) on then. Hopefully it’ll wipe away the million guys and girls with “black/white,moody and serious looking,standing in front of a warehouse” press photos, which whacking a distorted kickdrum on anything and calling it industrial techno.:sleeping:

2 Likes

He was the fastest good old fast Bpm style techno dj, sometimes with 3 decks and 909, saw him few times at I love techno and Kozzmozz in Gent, Belgium. I really love his style of messing with faders, scratching, fast mixing, eq, crossfader, mixing inbetween beats for double beats, mixing with 2 of the same vinyl for that flangy vibe, lots of skills! He sometimes made a little mistake but that’s what everyone could forgive him! Miss these days of good old mixing. Nowadays it’s all digital or when playing vinyl mixing the whole track flawlessly cutting. It has to be entertaining mix and not just plane stale like nowadays! But that’s time wise, don’t think he is technogod anymore, mixes way slower now! At that time I also like Paul Damage, Dj Rush, Adam Beyer, Lekebush, Surgeon,…

And of course he has plenty of classic tracks that still works on a dancefloor:
-the bells, the alarms, the dancer, step to enchantment, I9, the extremist, … Katmoda ep is probably his best ep, and the waveform transmissions
5 Likes