Techno so stale and generic that originator don't know his own work

Emmanuel [label head at ARTS] aka Confucio at his lark, ripping off tracks. Tresor puts the foot down!

Like I could skip, a bunch, hit play, and I couldn’t tell if I missed anything.

I guess it’s time to raise the famous XKCD411

xkcd411

11 Likes

That’s the Tresor fraud I talked about earlier this thread. I was shocked about the impudence of this guy but his defense about the whole issue was just insane.

What baffles me most is that lots of great artist I once respected still releasing on his (f)ARTS label, knowing the guy is a thief and a fraud. Integrity doesn’t mean anything these days.

1 Like

Yea it’s insane to me that people still submit work to the label. Just shows ya, if the platform is big enough people will continue to want a release and still book a known thief for their party’s. The excuse about using someone else’s studio and not saving the project was laughable never mind YouTube rips from a mate.

1 Like

wouldn’t mastering involve having separate stems for the individual parts of the songs? so wouldn’t it be a huge red flag that he only has a final, single file for the song in question?

that said, I don’t make techno and I don’t know whether the mastering engineer would need stems or not. I just know it’s not abnormal to master in that fashion.

No, usually a mastering engineer only gets the mixdown in form of a single file and as a service provider it’s not really his/her business to judge over the originality of the material as long as he/she gets paid. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

That’s mixing to me… but hey… it’s electronic music, it’s not like we have to do things a certain way.

stem mastering is certainly a thing though. mastering using stems of sub-groups of like instruments. not every individual part. that’s mixing, obviously; so I wrote that wrong above.

This story reminds me of another one that circulated back in the day, circa 99-ish, where Aphex Twin was comissioned a remix to someone’s track. Later on, that person showed up his door asking for the remix, which he never produced. So he went up, looked for a random project of his and handed over the “remix”

4 Likes

^A Mercedes commercial.

Jeff Mills is choosing tracks for his new album, a carefully curated set of individual tracks that come together as a coherent whole, perhaps communicating a theme or story, or designed to contrast and interplay with their neighbour tracks. Decides to include a track he forgot he made, cos it just somehow fit. :+1:t3:

That’s not ballsy, that’s just plain stupid and I don’t think you can go lower as a musician. How could an artist realistically expect that this could fly and that nobody would notice ? It was before the era of the all-knowing internet, but still… Sad.

Also works the other way round (see JM Jarre / Orb / Toxygen)

" “Toxygene” was originally commissioned as a remix of Jean Michel Jarre’s “Oxygène 8” from Oxygène 7–13 .[1] However, The Orb “obliterated it” and reassembled only a few fragments for their remix, much to the chagrin of Jarre, who reportedly “threw a fit and refused to release it”.[1] The Orb released the track themselves under the name “Toxygene”, which further irritated Jarre, to whom Paterson retorted “The French are always five years behind us, anyway.”[1] In statements made after the release of “Toxygene”, Jarre denied the reports: “It’s not that I didn’t like it, but I wanted the first wave of remixes to be linked to Oxygene’s theme and textures.”[2]"

2 Likes

I was listening to Aphex Twin last night when I realized it was actually in fact my music I was listening to, and not Aphex Twin. Then I realized that the last album I released was not actually my music, and was actually an old Duran Duran album. I always thought that my lyrics to “Gio” sounded familiar - “Her name is Gio and she dances with the band”.

12 Likes

There used to be an interview online with the sadly deceased Pete Namlook about this whole affair. But I can’t find it anymore.

It was nuts, because Pete Namlook had collaborated frequently with both Inoue and Atmo for various releases on his FAX label.

At the time this led many to speculate that it was some sort of super “in joke”, but Mille Plateaux were definitely not amused.

1 Like

Not necessarily. All my tracks lately are hardware only, 1 take recordings of my mixer’s stereo main outs. So I couldn’t hand over individual channel stems. Of course this doesn’t hold for DAW productions.

I waited a little before posting, I find that some person here lacks a little respect. So maybe it’s a question of musical genres, or tastes and when we are in another musical style, other styles do not matter to us. I don’t know, anyway…

Without developing too much, I think we will see more and more things like that, and that’s why I think personally that we need to protect ourselves as a musician-composer. You want to use sample collections, if you sign an EP make sure you have read the user agreement and have paid the rights to use the samples. Optionally, play the instrumental parts that you can not do yourself by a friend or pay someone to do it and make sure you have a write authorization that you can use the recorded part as part of a release. There are rules, like mentioning people who rightly contribute to a piece of music (singer etc …)

In computer music, you have to be very well organized - and the more you use elements that are not yours, the more this organization must be infallible. It takes time, a little thinking, habits, a little money for the purchase of several hard drives but it costs much less than when we receive a letter of attorney with a possible assignment.

This reminds me of the history of the preset “groove la chord” available (possibly I have not verified that) on the TI virus with the dispute between Aril Brikha & Shlomi Aber…

Personally I find that copied is good to learn but quickly if you are not able to express yourself alone without the help of anything, it is that maybe you have nothing to say in music. On the other hand, nothing prevents you from having fun as a hobbie. And maybe at some point, you’ll be able to :wink:

Otherwise you contact the original artist and ask to make a rework, or a remix… rather than forcing things …

Who says that the artist refuses compulsorily. Also, a musician may be transparent with a label, the label may take care of obtaining or negotiating certain rights. You just have to be aware of things and do the right thing.

I think everybody needs to learn to relax and do the opposite to what you said. Make music for yourself and do it the way you want to do it and if somebody steals it fuckit. Lile somebody above said there’s so many people making music now you have to compete im a sea of voices to be heard… OR just retreat from it all alltogether and make music for yourself.

Nobody can take that away from you

1 Like

I think that this mistake could easily happen. I’ve gone back to months old projects and had no recollection of making it.

So Imagine if you’re a pioneer whose influenced others to try and sound like you and use the same instruments as you. I imagine you could easily mistake another song for your own.

That being said, I think he needs a better filing system to avoid such confusion in the future.

1 Like

It’s a nice track, anyway! Haven’t really heard many Jeff Mills tracks, since I can’t seem to buy them digitally - so can’t comment on how similar it sounds to his style. Intrigued though!

1 Like