Tascam Model 12

Spreadsheet is a WIP! :wink:

Comparing:
the various Tascam Models (24, 16, now 12)
Soundcraft MTK 12 / 22
Presonus ar12c / 16c
Allen and Heath Zed / Zedi
Samson s10
RME 400, Babyface
MOTU Ultralite mk4
Focusrite Scarlett line, etc.

Key variables:
Price, Channels, Stereo Channels, AUX pre/post and routing, USB I/O, Fader length, Fader automation, DAW control, SD card recording, busses, inserts, and so on!

I have not too much more than $600-$800 budgeted for this. I was leaning towards getting a Zed 14 and coupling with a focusrite, giving up on multitracking via the mixer, but now…Tascam 12 might just do it.

6 Likes

Had a model 24 for a minute and use one at work still… wonderful modern board With great sound and nice sd recording functionality. this model 12 is just what i need, very excited to get one!

3 Likes

Thank you! Did you ever use it as an audio interface? If yes, any problems?

Wonder how well it would work for a “dawless” workflow; recording, overdubbing with sync to add a new track on top, looping…

1 Like

I did and had no issues

The addition of midi is great i didnt even see that!

2 Likes

Looks really nice. I wish we’d see more nicely specced smaller mixers with four stereo channels, at least two aux sends and two stereo returns etc. though…

Here are two threads that might give you a little insight:

1 Like

Yes if they can get the midi sync to line up perfectly with the audio it could be a winner.

amen. best one is Mackie 1202. wish there were a step above that though, quality wise.

4 Likes

Nice. Real nice.

1 Like

This looks nice. Too bad I just bought a Motu Ultralite MK3 a few months back. Otherwise I’d be all over this!

There’s a not-hugely-informative video here: https://youtu.be/0gLuxj4_sMw

What did you think to the build quality? Better or worse than a Mackie?

Definitely - 4 mono, 4 stereo channels and 2 returns would make it very hard to resist

1 Like

the build quality was excellent for the Model 24

1 Like

haha! so… the Faderport you’re talking about has one motorized fader. the Model 12 has 8 channel faders, plus three more in the main section. a better comparison would be the Faderport 8, which has 8 faders and is also the exact same price as the Model 12 (though it’s just a MIDI controller).

long story short: motorized faders ain’t cheap.

3 Likes

This looks interesting. I dismissed the earlier two models as they look better suited to recording bands, but I’m torn now. Thought I’d decided to just get a Yamaha mixer for the returns, group tracks and stereo channels but Tascam reeling back in with the midi and DAW control. Does seem like a perfect fit for a small hybrid home studio as well.

This press release suggests that’s at least the intention:
“the audio interface simultaneously with the multi-track recorder, click output and MIDI equipment to create perfectly synchronised arrangements of multiple sound sources.”

3 Likes

looks great :slight_smile:

surprising lack of videos for it’s predecessor the Model 16 and the ones i’ve come across regarding the 24 seem to be from Tascam or shops. would be good to find out some honest appraisals since their initial launch.

Anyone know if all the specs per channel are the same as the 16 and 24? I.e., the inputs, preamps, da/ad, fx, etc are all the same as the larger versions, there are just fewer channels and the midi ports added?