Taking Elektron gear on a flight

What is your expierience with taking Elektron gear on a flight? Do they heavy investigate music electronic devices? Could they take it away from you ?

Ive done it, no problem. Put it in a sturdy carry-on bag. Maybe a checked bag if you have a sturdy pelican case or something (and insurance for loss!!)

Security may ask what it is, but simply saying “musical device” has always been a good enough reply to pass. They see a lot on a day to day basis; a synth isnt really going to be seen as that suspicious of an item with which to travel . A few times, in NYC, I had my bag swabbed for explosives, but that is prob because I had bag full of gear: a theremin, home made stuff; etc. Once, the TSA agent was a fellow musician and was stoked to check out my stuff

I’ve taken all kinds of gear on planes last year and it depends a lot on the airport and how bored the people at the luggage control are. Just make sure everything’s out the bag before so they can see it coming, explain it is a music instrument, and get ready for a full interrogation if you encounter a security agent that plays an instrument :slight_smile:

Also make sure you get there with plenty of time, sometimes they can take your stuff for extra controls and it might take a while. Don’t want to miss a plane because of that!

once my Rytm was checked with a brush for traces of TNT

1 Like

Should be obvious in hindsight but make sure the front is well protected. I put my MD in my hand luggage rucksack, thought I’d been careful but I didn’t have anything solid protecting the front and two of the encoders got pulled out of their mount :frowning: Had to send it back to Sweden to get it fixed though I could probably have got it done more cheaply locally had my A4 not also needed an (in warranty) service

I’ve taken my Novation Circuit to China a couple of times and had a rechargeable battery in with it which they took as it was over the capacity size they allow.
The security there don’t seem to be aware of airline guides, they just won’t allow it though if deemed too big.

Just have it out in the open on your X-ray tray, I do it all the time.

It’s my axoloti diy prototypes with nests of soldered wires and crudely sawn project boxes that cause more concern

WMD eurorack modules can also raise an eyebrow with security

1 Like

http://i.imgur.com/UBRBwHv.jpg

11 Likes

I previously worked for the complaints and claims department of a large international airline. Knowing what I know, I would never under any circumstances put anything like this in checked luggage.

4 Likes

:rofl:

The real problem is keeping your weight to a level that will not result in your gear being placed under carriage at the last minute. 7kgs is the weight but you can probably stretch it to 8 kg on most checkins.
An individual unit is about 2.5 kilos, so you can probably get away with 2 units on the plane in a rugged bag. If travelling with a partner willing to help you, you can then perhaps take 4 in two separate bags. I use one of those magma dj trolley bags that can actually fit 4 elektrons sideways up, but it is just too heavy. So whenever i travel, i keep it to two only. Hard to decide and leave em behind!

1 Like

I have had the dark trinity with on flights with me in the cabin.

Not saying its not possible but when you have 3 elektrons, as well as the bag weight, some airlines will insist on putting your bag in the cargo due to being overweight. Just something to be aware of when traveling.

Please elaborate. Curious here.

1 Like

This is not Elektron gear in particular but I’ have to take my Eurorack + other midi stuff out for xray all the time. I’ve realised if they’re asking a lot of questions, an answer of “I’m a DJ” usually works wonders and I can get through without issues, even if I’m nowhere near being a DJ. :laughing:

1 Like

Without wanting to get in to jargon, maximum liability for the lost or delayed bag rarely exceeds a maximum amount of around £1,100.00. This limit applies to a bag delayed or lost forever. This changes every week based on a neutral unit of currency. Sometimes it can be lower. It’s more of a currency conversion change than a totally different amount. Also the vast majority of airlines will not cover electrical equipment in terms of damage or delay as they are not legally obliged to. This is generally stated in their terms and conditions of carriage. This differs slightly for US residents. There is also no legal liability for loss of earnings, e.g you’re playing a gig, your bag is delayed and contains items you need to play the gig. There have been occasions where they have paid for rental of equipment but for obvious reasons, it’s not an ideal situation to find yourself in and the limits still apply.

It’s unfortunately the nature of the airline industry that bags get delayed. It can happen for so many reasons and it is not always the fault of the airline. There are missed connections, tags left on bags from previous flights., tags get caught in machines and come off. There are even scenarios where the wrong bag is taken in error. Also, like the postal service, a fragile sticker isn’t worth the tape it’s written on.

I dealt with a lot of it due to it being my job obviously. The vast majority of passengers will probably never experience a delayed bag tbh.

All the above applies to dealing with complaints for an airline flying in and out of one country so the above info will be different for other airlines and other countries covered by different conventions and laws.

Never put anything of value, essential medication or anything you will absolutely unable to do without in your checked baggage.

Bet you wish you hadn’t asked now lol

3 Likes

Happy i did actually :slight_smile: Will think twice about checking any gear in and look at shipping alternatives and/or extra insurance. Not sure whether my current gear insurance covers these situations.

2 Likes

I work parttime as a customs and immigration officer and confiscate any music gear I come across. Even things like the Rhythm Wolf or Behringer stuff.

So just in case you’ll run into me, make sure your travel insurance covers your gear :yum:

2 Likes

Means, i dont see my Rythm back ? No dreams of international success possible this way? I have to drive to Portugal it seems.

I was just joking about the first part, but be sure you insurance covers your gear. As for confiscating it that would be very rare.

Make sure there’s no missing screws because that apparently is a thing nowadays. At least for laptops. As if some terrorist wouldn’t put all the crews back… The logic goes beyond me.

If you wanna be 100% certain call the airline and the customs of the country you’re going to. Or pack your things in a suitcase that you check in. Carry on luggage is usually checked a lot stricter.