Take a bow Nine Inch Nails

I saw them in Perth at the Big Day Out in 2000. I’d barely eaten all day, my friend was impatiently waiting for RHCP to come on (and thus we didn’t have a great spot for NIN) but I have memories of it being amazing. I’d love to hear Even Deeper and No, You Don’t live again!

setlist

..and again in 2009. I remember this was just after the highly produced Year Zero shows with the huge screen, and I was initially disappointed that he’d abandoned that idea in favour of a more stripped back approach, but it ended up being an awesome super high energy rock show and equally mindblowing. Huge encore too.

setlist

..and then in 2014 for the NIN/QOTSA tour. They played a couple of HTDA tracks with Mariqueen as well. My friend and I had the best spot for this, right in the middle of GA, which meant I dropped my glasses a couple of times because it was almost the moshpit, but it was excellent. QOTSA’s screens were ridiculously bright though.

setlist

1 Like

Those all sound fantastic! It’s really great hearing other people’s experiences of the gigs.
I really like the stripped back show production. It lets the music and musicians do the talking, and the lighting guys for this tour are amazing (not my pic)…

I had the pleasure of seeing NIN twice last month at Boston Calling - they had stepped in to headline after Taylor Hawkins from the Foo Fighters passed, and then were a “last minute” replacement the following night when a member of The Strokes tested positive for COVID.

Friday 5/27 set -

Saturday 5/28 set -

1 Like

Sadly only saw them at Brixton on the Fragile tour and it was pretty immense.

So cool The Perfect Drug is played on recent tours

1 Like

I saw them when Pretty Hate Machine came out at the Astoria in London; my first-ever stage dive was a complete and literal flop; I jumped just as they finished, the lights came up and I fell flat on the floor as the crowd moved away from the stage.

3 Likes

Seriously Ilan Rubin is a beast drumming on that

@DoS Ouch! We’ve all been there though right…?

1 Like

That’s a bruising opening 4 tracks!

Ilan Rubin doesn’t get enough recognition IMO.

I also saw NIN twice previously - in 2015, and (more memorably) 1994 at the original Boston Garden. Security were pricks; there was (for a brief period) assigned floor seating. I say brief, because eventually the crowd decided to “remove” the chairs LOL. I was in a cheap seat, but it was fun to watch from on high…

1 Like

Yeah! I couldn’t believe they went in that hard from the outset.

Also, Trent delivered a rather poignant soliloquy that night:

1 Like

He’s super talented. Was playing keys and guitar and doing vocals too at the NIN gig. Wouldn’t have been surprised if he’d busted out the cello too!

Man I could listen to him talk all night. I’ve experienced some of what he’s been through myself. There seem to be quite a lot of poignant onstage moments this tour, it’s fantastic to see how open and genuine he is with the audiences.

1 Like