Take a bow Nine Inch Nails

Oh man. Remember the Wig & Pen! Never went there for night life, just food and drink in daytime.

1 Like

Yeah. So true. I left Cornwall 30 years ago as I couldnā€™t ever see myself owning a place to live and having work opportunities. The situation has not changed, for all the reasons you mentioned.

2 Likes

I was just thinking yesterday while looking through setlist.fm that their shows seem to have a better lineup of songs now than theyā€™ve had in years. (Down in it, SiN, Only, The Perfect Drug etcā€¦ fucking Everything and Even Deeper???)
Canā€™t wait for them to come back to Scandinavia again.

1 Like

Likewise. I left Cornwall for university in '93 and didnā€™t return due to the lack of opportunities. I work remotely now so in theory I could go back. Doubt I could afford a home there though. Also, Iā€™d be considered and emmet (tourist) by the locals 'cause I talk funny.

Sorry for going off-topic! Would have loved to have seen NIN at Eden. Such a great venue.

2 Likes

Sorry - venting spleen!! I grew up in SE Cornwall, near a couple of villages called Kingsand and Cawsand. I remember going there as a kid in Autumn/Winter and it was lively. Pubs, people and fishing boats. All my cousins moved away to university, I went too. I remember coming back in October, after a long time away, and those villages had become ghost towns. There had been a long tradition of the young ones coming back from university/jobs to teach, start businesses etc. However the link had been broken, with rich Londoners buying 2nd homes and property speculators pricing the young out of the area. The young that stayed were pushed inland to areas/towns that were heavily deprived and we never came back. In Cornwall you have the rich and those that maintain the properties of the rich (during winter when there is no tourism). Central Cornwall was identified as one of the most deprived areas in the EU, let alone Britain. Although I yearn to visit/go back, I also find it pretty depressing.

2 Likes

NIN at Glastonbury is one of my all time favourite Glastonbury experiences!!

1 Like

Why would he need to fake it? Sounds like it was some loops heā€™d built up either earlier in the song or before, with live playing alongside it.

I can really relate to that sentiment and have mixed emotions about Cornwall, having seen both extremes of wealth and poverty. One primary school friend lived in a mansion, another was the child of a tenant farmer. I have vivid memories of the latter being beside himself with joy when his parents gifted him a tennis ball for his birthday.

2 Likes

Donā€™t forget Atticus Ross is a Cornish boy

Edit - this is FAKE NEWS! I got it wrong

1 Like

I mean - I donā€™t think he was faking it - but he was basically just blowing one note.

Yeah I hear you - I live in Falmouth, which is a bit of an outlier though - a lot of good stuff happening here despite the housing situation being fucked

1 Like

@Boxymusic Is he really - didnā€™t;t know this!

@sfritzon If there is another UK tour I definitely need to get to at least 2-3 shows. The back catalogue is so strong, many of the shows only had 4-5 songs in common night to night. Each show had special unique moments and performances like the Manchester crowd finishing Every Day is Exactly The Same while the band watched. Unforgettable!

1 Like

@Boxymusic had no idea Atticus was from Cornwall. I am from Falmouth myself, family still live there (and in area). As you say, the town is an outlier, still high cost of living and relatively low pay/opportunities.

As @Native_Layer mentioned, best option used to be get own business up and running, there are better places to do that nowā€¦ Visit in the summer and it seems glorious, winter is a different matter, all the homes are empty between October and March and seasonal work goes away. Sad and grim.

Like @jamesstiff I have mixed emotions. I live in Plymouth and visit Cornwall/family often. Iā€™ll most likely never move back and in making this choice I have broken a very long line of heredity/connection/history in the Falmouth area.

Back on topic: I also agree with @subduct based on the setlist variety, will need to buy more tickets next tour.

Edit I am sorry - it seems I have misinformation, I am sure he had a Cornish connection, but Iā€™m totally wrong. Heā€™s a Londoner and Elton boy apparently. Sorry!

Shame, had a mental image of the NIŠ˜ band sleeping over at Atticusā€™ between Eden gigs, sleeping in his old bedroom, fighting for the top bunk.

2 Likes

Atticusā€™ family probably own Cornwall. :wink:

1 Like

I have only seen NIN once, at Glasto. I looked it up, back in 2000!
Last time I could jump over the fence.
Even though I was there mainly for the dance stuff, this blew me away - never thought I would ever see them as a teenager.
Set list below:

3 Likes

I was working at Glasto that year but unfortunately missed NIN. I would have been stuck in a sweaty portacabin, frantically picture editing and/or providing technical support for inebriated music journos. Going to have to check my archive for photos.

1 Like

Banging setlist there (as always)!

1 Like

Odysseus: Take. The. Bow.
Trent: I think there has been some kind of misunderstanding!

1 Like