Synthstrom Audible Deluge [inc. Open Source development]

I have used it, it is very handy for naming samples and making kits etc, I don’t use all of the features but it seems stable enough and works well at what I use it for.

You can find the W-04 cards cheaper than Amazon and eBay elsewhere, some physical shops with online stores have them (at least here in UK, I’d assume same elsewhere) I paid £30 for a 32gb W-04 a few months back, prior to that I had a 32gb W-03 which cost about the same around 2 years ago.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. Yes it looked like a very interesting feature. I had never even heard of a wireless sdcard before.

I read on another forum that prices are sky high because Toshiba sold everything to Kioxia and they aren’t being made at the moment. Maybe Kioxia will restart the production line and prices will become reasonable again. My credit card balance is very unhappy with me at the moment.

I ordered one from Aliexpress, and is working very good.

TOSHIBA Flash Air W 04 Memory Card 32GB 16GB wifi SD Card 90MB/s Wireless SDHC Memory Card Tarjeta sd WIFI Carte SD For Camera|Memory Cards| - AliExpress?

Actually wifi SD cards have been around since early 2000’s they used the SDIO protocol, for adding wifi to PDAs etc.

I think Downrush isn’t too well known about, which is a shame because it is very handy, the developer is pretty helpful too, I would recommend it to any Deluge owner.

3 Likes

Looks like there won’t be any last minute orders before the $100 price increase… it is now listed out of stock… https://synthstrom.com/product/deluge/

Glad I jumped in when I did!

Me too! Damn that was close, I wondered if they would be on sale over the weekend but didn’t wanna wait an take the chance. Phew.

Well… that cleared up my indecisiveness. I’d love to have one but the two outs don’t fit my currently under-construction workflow like OverBridge does.

Edit 1 : I’m not getting any out of stock messages.

Edit 2 : Wav file export is on the official list of possibilities. I might have to pull the trigger. Let’s see what Edit 3 brings.

@circuitghost Right on! Reading the manual, pg 60:

If multiple notes on the same step / column position total 100%, Deluge will play only one of the notes with a probability % on that column.

If multiple notes are set at the same %, example 65%, Deluge offers an additional option indicated with a dot, 65 & 65. The dotted option means the note will only trigger if the previous equivalent note triggers.

So you can put three notes, say with probability 50%, 25%, 25%, and one will get picked out of that distribution! Or 10 notes with 10% probability. And I think the second part says you can do chords with probability edit: it’s so you can create chains of notes that are triggered

Just another one of those cool Deluge features that’s pretty deep despite the basic interface of it. Thanks for the heads up :pray:t4:

@Rabban For most cases I prefer to just pull the card out and use my file manager but I haven’t explored all those uses of it. Just utility, not essential, or me. Moving lots of audio files is much quicker with a physical connection.

Wow! That’s awesome, I didn’t realize they had acknowledged it was (most likely) coming. MIDI import/export as well :slight_smile:

Here’s the reference: Please read first before posting — Synthstrom Audible

2 Likes

agreed it’s back in stock. 8 hours to go as we’re presumably on NZ time for the countdown.

1 Like

Likewise

1 Like

Ok, that’s even more awesome than I’ve been using it for. Gonna give this math exercise take on probability a spin later today.

Just bought my 3rd one…might keep this one.

3 Likes

Sadly, now leaning toward the conclusion that, for me, this is not the all-in-one box I was hoping for. I’m pretty sure, from dealing with other devices with 4 x 7-segment displays, that selecting samples on this box (and possibly other things too) would be a pain for me.

I’m sure everyone here has adapted to it, but I know others have sold it on with the display as the primary reason.

Still considering it for it’s sequencing aspects though … with that, considering the visualisation and the unlimited tracks, it looks unparalleled.

EDIT: I wonder if they’ve ever considered a screen like the one on the model:cycles … would allow them to display longer names … also visualisation of envelopes.

I guess it depends on how heavily you use samples. I don’t tend to have loads and loads so it’s not been too bad and easy enough to flick through the folder structure.

What I find a little bit it a pain is how recordings are managed and it’d have been great if you could have mounted the Deluge as a USB drive just to save some seconds in renaming things.

Long term, I’m not sure the Deluge is for me but it’s been a wonderful device to learn so far. I’d prefer they focused on improving what’s already in there feature wise than continuing to cram more in. Some big workflow/sonic improvements could made.

2 Likes

I agree with @J0n35y here - only thing getting me real excited about 3.2 is the sequencer features. I don’t need Wavetables and I’m not sure the Dellie’s engine will handle them all that well (but we’ll see, won’t we?) And MPE support is great, but it’s an engine that’s somewhat lacking to begin with.

However, that’s all good. Deluge is a fantastic sequencer, once you get into multi-sampling and either make your own great packs or pick up a gem, it has fantastic presence. Filters, amps and stuff aren’t great for transforming them into something else entirely and find completely new sweet spots, but for source material suitable for solid composing and recordings into samplers for further mayhem, I’m finding it excellent. So Deluge and a couple of @rephazer packs, write a song and record it into the Blackbox where I’ll mix it up with field stuff, Blackbox own filter, pitch and mixing, and then resample through a few pedals and all into the SSL Six for final summing.

Yep. That’d be about enough for me. So if Synthstrom worked the sequencer even harder, put even more love into the Arranger and stuff, that’d be something.

3 Likes

I think that’s nearly where I’m at with it: get a couple of multiple sample packs and then go off on a writing journey and see where I end up coming out at the other side.

1 Like

Yeah I agree with you two fine gents too, the synth engine has a few shortcomings, the envelopes and LFOs are a bit basic for my needs, the display is pretty cryptic - and isn’t fully used like for example when changing a value, no numeric indication sometimes.

I think they done crammed too much in, and keep cramming more in - I can understand why, they want to keep customers happy, and try to break arbitrary limits that other manufacturers apply to their boxes - however it isn’t always a good thing to do that IMHO.

Still, not forgetting that it does really have some outstanding features and functions, for me it is a keeper mainly for the sample playback (nice visual drum grid etc) very good arranger, and 100’s of other little nice things in amongst the 100’s of other things it does that I don’t use/need.

Ironically the next update looks to have some great sequencer stuff coming and some stuff which I won’t find much use for, I hope that usability and accessibility of the new functions are good/simple.

I often think of the Deluge as trying to be all things to all men, which can be a risky strategy as you may end up pleasing no one, but so far I have found that I can forgive it and Synthstrom, who are awesome people.

3 Likes

If nothing else, it’s an amazing blueprint for whatever hardware they’ll come up with next. For a first product, it’s outstanding.

If I’d single out its major areas and settle for just one, as in the Deluge can be this and only this - it’d be the sequencer.

I’d go for the sampler next, and the synth third and last.

But if it was just a sequencer, and did all things it does but only as a sequencer, and whatever Synthstrom came up with was to only refine it as a sequencer, I’d still keep it and probably never leave it.

1 Like

As a mere lurker here and not a user, that’s the standout for me.

1 Like

Yes, as a sequencer, it’s not just good for being part of an overall groove box package, it is simply outstanding - if you’re into the way it does things. I’m easily choosing this over the Pyramid or the Cirklon for its sequencing powers alone.

The sampler has great converters and a very “interesting” on board microphone, so as a raw recording instrument, it’s also top class.

But for me - and this is a very personal experience - it starts to fall apart when you work sounds and synthesis through its inherent engine. Play stuff straight as is, synth or samples - they sound great. Keep playing a synth voice, and you’ll want to look for that subtle organic variation and movement which is characteristic of an instrument which feels like it sounds the same all the time and yet you never tire of it. And the Deluge tools don’t have enough nuance to bring this out. Same goes with its sample treatments. Filters, on-board eq, pitch algoritms, time stretching - it’s all good, can def compete with a few boxes out there, but your ears will eventually pick up that it’s not great. And as soon as you come across samplers or synths that just do these things way better, you’ll know and you’ll miss it too much to settle for the “but it’s all in one box”-argument.

Again, this is a personal experience. People make full albums on this thing. I don’t. So who am I to talk, in the end?

2 Likes