Synthstrom Audible Deluge [inc. Open Source development]

How is it accessed?

Edit: It’s found under FX and “model” when you enter settings on a patch.

It’s not very usable for me, for now. The reverb tales are very long, even in the smallest room size settings. And it gets cut off after a while (seems like the tale never stops by itself). But looking so much forward to the stable implementetion. Big news with new reverb algorithm!

2 Likes

https://synthstromaudible.github.io/DelugeFirmware/

Thanks, but I was referring to the reverb.

And yeah, it’s more of an ambient type reverb. It does sound interesting but it’s weird that on the lowest setting it still has like a super long reverb tail.

But it does sound cool with side chaining applied to it.

I’ll probably revert to the more stable release I’m getting a weird thing with the stutter effect where after awhile I just lose control of all the buttons. Audio still plays but nothing works anymore. I think it’s happening when I’m pressing stutter and then trying to trigger a scene but not entirely sure, it happened twice now. Probably related to the Stutter Effect modulator which seems like a cool feature but you still have to hold down the stutter knob which takes away some of my excitement.

So I think the Deluge going open source is revolutionary and has proven itself to be a resounding success. I am wondering about the wider impact of this on the music hardware industry.

Is anyone aware of another manufacturer being influenced by this decision? I.e., they went open source because they saw how successful it’s been for Deluge?

Or, is anyone aware of an example where someone has made this point on a support forum and had the developer push back for whatever reason?

I am trying to anticipate what that pushback could be since “Deluge proved this can be done” seems like a strong argument.

I think it’s more like “Deluge proved this can be done with their own code base after putting a lot of work into their own code base to get to the point where it was possible".

Doesn’t necessarily mean that anyone else’s code base is ready for this approach. If you’ve seen a manufacturer who very rarely updates firmware for a product, it might mean that code base is not easy to change.

See also “It should be simple to code”

But yeah, looks great for Deluge so far, and I sincerely hope others take the same approach.

1 Like

Ya I guess I wasn’t thinking of this in terms of a manufacturer that doesn’t update frequently… I was moreso thinking in terms of a developer who is a single person. They are constrained by what a single person could accomplish. For instance, the M8 but I’m sure there are many examples where the company is 1 engineer doing the coding.

The pushback I would anticipate is that they’ve spent XX years putting their blood, sweat, and tears into it so why would they just “give away their intellectual property”. To me, this is the argument that the Deluge example demolishes. Deluge proved that they didn’t give away the IP, open sourcing became a force multiplier that I don’t think anyone could have imagined.

Such a success story seems like it would motivate other 1 engineer companies but I’m just not aware of any which is why I asked here.

1 Like

Wondering what’s in the Deluge Community Firmware’s Nightly build which will make it into our next Official Release? We got you!

We made a change log which summarizes all the changes since our first Official Release.

Our next official release will be version c1.1.0, currently codenamed Beethoven (codename subject to change).

We invite anyone looking to try out our Nightly Build and wants to help us out by providing feedback and reporting bugs :)!

Cheers and thanks from your friendly Deluge Open Source Development Team <3

9 Likes

Awesomeness.

2 Likes

Hi Sean,

• Updated AUTOMATION VIEW for MIDI Clips to load the Parameter to CC mappings from the MIDI FOLLOW MODE preset file MIDIFollow.XML. These Parameter to CC mappings are used as the quick access MIDI CC shortcuts dislayed in the Automation Overview and with the shortcut combos (e.g. Shift + Shortcut Pad).

But what if I’ve mapped a midi controller to the default set of xml CC’s (for midi follow), but the synth I’m controlling using a midi track uses different CCs? Or have I misunderstood?

I admit having more fun at the moment learning the deluge again, I was on 2.XXX firmware.

Now I was wondering would the community firmware see something like export stems option, I have an idea but then I would love to finish this in Ableton but it seems a pita to track everything out.

Stupid beginner question too, I have a maschine expansion kit, its a folder full of wavs. How do I create this in a kit?. I know there’s an app called kit-maker but love to know if there’s an alternative way.

Plus got a synth line, how do I p lock certain notes to say add vibrato, still trying to figure lfo using the screen too which is more difficult to implement due to the screen.

You can still use scroll to select that midi cc’s

The template here is just to make it easier to find cc’s you want quickly by associating them with a deluge parameter shortcut which can also correspond to the same type of parameter on the external instrument you are controlling (eg cc74 is associated with the deluge LPF freq shorcut pad and cc74 also corresponds to LPF freq on your external instrument)

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation Sean!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Does the stutter FX automation work in the nightly build… is it just a case of recording as usual in clip/ song mode?

I had some issues figuring it out as well, and it doesn’t work the way I had hoped.

Only way I can tell to record it is to pull up the automation view and click the button for it, which isn’t labeled but around the middle upper part of the shortcuts (I’ll try to get a picture of it later).

Then you can draw in automation. The only thing is that you still have to hold down the stutter effect button for it to do anything but it will change the stutter time based on what you set up in the new automation view. I was hoping it would stutter the whole thing hands free which would have been really cool for sound design.

I’ve also noticed it seems to bug out. The bug I’ve had happen twice is basically the whole deluge locks up, it will still place music and you can still press the stutter button but you can’t press any other button, including saving, and a power cycle fixes it.
Should probably tag @seangoodvibes so he sees that. I think the only thing that might be what I did was try to stutter and press a note at the same time, but I haven’t dived in deep enough to replicate it by force, just had it happen twice.

1 Like

Hey, sorry I meant to respond the other day.

The automation for stutter at the moment is just of the stutter rate. Not the automation trigger as you figured out.

Automating the stutter trigger is a whole other beast altogether. Basically in the Deluge right now we have a sequencer for Notes and for Parameter Nodes. We don’t have a sequencer for Triggers (basically anything that you need to do manually right now - such as pressing on an encoder, changing synth mode, filter types, etc.).

I would like to look into building that third sequencer layer, but that’s for another time :).

As for the crash / bug you encountered, I’m not sure that’s related to automation view, but it could be related to automating the stutter rate. There may have been a reason that automating stutter rate was blocked previously.

Stutter in general seems to lock up the deluge and prevent you from doing other things. Which just further complicates the desire to automate it.

1 Like

Yeah I couldn’t tell for sure if it was actually because of the firmware or not because I don’t use the stutter that much to begin with, and in these instances I was jamming on the stutter control.

That makes a lot of sense when you explain why the stutter trigger doesn’t work the way I’d expect, thanks for the explanation.

I started to implement a chord style keyboard view, stealing heavily from the chordset available in the Roland J8… when I got to the “sequencer” aspect of that (which on the J8 is a glorified arpeggiator with set rhythms) I got a little stuck as I didn;t know where to plug in to the tempo/ arpeggiator classes). Where’s the best place to seek help on this?

Dev chat on our discord is the best place to ask any and all questions about the codebase.

Also, fyi there is an open PR that has implemented chords and chord memory in the sidebar that may be helpful for you:

1 Like

Has this been merged yet? I never saw it before? Sounds great