Synthesisers v Holiday

Everytime I go on holiday I just think of the synths I could of bought instead.

55 Likes

Just buy more money.

35 Likes

same;
But i have now enough synths (or the ones i want to buy are far more expensive than holiday now)

Where is that? Jw so i don’t accidentally go there :joy: jk

Mexico’s going to cost me a Waldorf quantum MKII, but you can’t replace those priceless memories of drinking overpriced beer on the beach getting cooked by the sun :woozy_face:

2 Likes

Well I have taken many nice holidays and trips and got into synths with covid and bought lots of gear. Now I am at gear saturation and investing in home repairs, gym and may take a nice vacation this year or next instead of buy new gear. Would love to see Spain, Italy, Portugal, Germany, Czech Republic and many places in Scandinavia and Europe.

3 Likes

Pffft, can’t afford either at the moment, just got deep in debt. Also don’t have time for vacations and barely have time for synths.
Problem solved.

3 Likes

Paradoxically I’m much more enthused by, and creative with, synths after a good holiday.

New vistas and experiences = inspiration

9 Likes

I don‘t do Holidays

15 Likes

Every time I go on vacation, I realize I have wasted far too much money on synths that I don’t need when Ableton works just as well (for me). Experiences over things.

11 Likes

This why I bring my laptop and controller during holiday. I can start designing patches at the beginning of the day. Go for a walk and come back to the hotel to do some more carving. Afternoon pint and back to more sightseeing, come back to the room to change and keep mangling the patch. Save the patch before bed and start from init the next day. By the time I come back home I have photos and patches I made on the most basic VA synth that I can fine tune when I return. It’s so amazing to travel.

2 Likes

well then you’ll only receive a lump of coal on christmas morning.

2 Likes

I agree on the principle – but reversed. Like, I paid about 700 € for my Syntakt, but would never pay that much for a holiday. I have my house in the country, that’s fine for me.

As usual I brought music gear (not the Elektrons but laptop with Ableton and ipad with synths), and as usual I ended up doing nothing with them. Because long walks in the forest and reading by the fireplace is so much more rewarding on a holiday trip.

6 Likes

That’s enough to power a miniature steam engine hooked up to a generator to run an Octatrack for a good afternoon jam session. Sounds like a great gift.

1 Like

Same here. I’ve set up a life that revolves around exactly what I’ve always wanted. Comics and music are my thing. I am the office manager of my lifelong favorite comics publisher and I spend all the rest of my time making music and being present with my cherished friends and family. I don’t do anything I don’t want to besides drive in traffic so why would I spend a bunch of money to get away from this? I’ve been trying my whole life to get exactly where I’m at!

That being said I do love to travel. A dream would be a legitimate reason for me to be playing music on a tour of Japan for instance.

17 Likes

Can’t do either

2 Likes

The closest I’ve ever had to a holiday was when I went to California and returned by way of Phoenix because the synth I wanted was a “local pickup only” sale in L.A., and my buddy in Phoenix was offering me his Fender Rhodes on my way back. My wife went with me and visited family. I stayed in a hotel and played with the synth. That’s good enough for me.

7 Likes

My wife is constantly trying to con us into going on fucking holiday.

She’s got a meeting in Wales in a couple of weeks which has now turned into me and the kids going on “holiday” with her.

To Barry fucking Island.

12 Likes

One of my most creative periods in songwriting was all caused by a single trip to Austrian lakes and mountains in summer with friends where I sat down, looked at almost cliché it was so beautiful countryside, and wrote lyrics. Got probably a dozen of my best songs out of it. Should probably get out of London and do it again sometime.

In other news this thread’s lead video is wonderful and made me laugh.

4 Likes

grim :joy:

[my missus is half Welsh]

1 Like

which is like any xmas morning ever

1 Like