Synth to pair with Octatrack?

That Elektron style sequencer in the Circuit Mono is what got me into Elektrons in the first place. I loved patch flipping and the way I could live or step sequence ANY knobbed parameter on the CMS, so I ended up getting a Digitone so I could have even more of that style of workflow. Been in love with the Elektron Way ever since.

So yeah, the CMS will definitely have a bit of a familiar feel to someone already versed in Elektrons, totally agree. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yea, for sure! I’d owned Elektrons but that was a selling point for me (also the overdrive and distortion on board which both sound pretty great to my ear). I don’t know if that helps the OP at all…but I love the Circuit Mono Station, at the price point I don’t know if I’d recommend another mono synth to a beginner (unless they wanted a particular vibe).

2 Likes

For me. No.
A good mono with unique and high quality FX is what I prefer. Dreadbox Typhon.

That way you can just use OT EQs and compressors. It’s efficient.

The more I use other instruments with great FX, or samples with great FX baked in, the more I can use OT comps and EQs and not have to lean on outboard or plugins. And the final result sounds real good, considering how little gear is actually being used.

Plus, I’d rather p-lock an EQ and a compressor than fire up a dynamic EQ plugin that will only make my tracks sound as good when there is a computer in the chain.
YMMV.

It’s an exercise worth trying out, if you haven’t yet. Use FX on the way in, and only EQ, comp, maybe a tempo sync’d delay on the OT.
P-lock them all, and hear how much more you can dial in your mix with the OT as the mixer.

7 Likes

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions, to narrow it down I quoted you with your questions,

Polyphonic? - Yes, 4 will do but preferably 8 or more.
Analog or digital? - Digital will do, but VA or just analog doesn’t really matter.
Synthethis?- I’m kind of open for suggestions here (:grinning:), I think what I want is probably a “jack of all trades”-type of synth.
Keys? - mini-keys or desktop will do, but a small form factor is a plus.
Internal FX - Not a must, I’ll probably resample it through the OT before I’m done.
Presets - as I stated in my OP, I’m not really that good at creating my own sounds, so I prefer to load up sounds and tweak them to my liking.
Also the ability to store many sounds and also load up/buy new presets/banks is a main feat for me.
Control/Knobs - I prefer to have a “one-function-per-knob”-type of control (not really into menu-diving - hence my somewhat mixed relationship to the Menu-diving I use on the Blofeld, I had the MC-101 for a short time and that one ticks a lot of boxes above, but the menu-diving is hedious!)
Price range - about 800EUR/950USD is my limit, but preferably lower. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

SH-01A would suit those needs, and cost you less than half of the budget.

6 Likes
3 Likes

I love that someone has to chime in and say (basically) this in every “what should I get” thread. the “new gear police…” don’t ever buy anything new! always learn every corner of everything you own first! :rofl:

if someone’s not getting the results they want from a synth they have, there’s nothing wrong with seeking out a new one. maybe that synth just doesn’t work for them. or maybe they’ve exhausted all they can get out of it. there’s a ton of great gear out there. life’s too short to force a synth to work for you just because it’s there. move on. find something that inspires you.

anyway… my personal suggestion would be Digitone. you already know the Elektron workflow so you know half the machine already. I normally say it’s not great for newer users but if you’re more of a preset tweaker, it’s great. it’s a deep machine but there’s a TON of great presets, and tweaking them just a bit here and there is very clear and accessible.

4 Likes

SH01a is a good call if mini keys + portability for gigging is up your alley. Otherwise, some desktop units that roughly fit your budget and needs (and get rave reviews) include the Minilogue XD, Prophet Rev2 8 voice, and Novation Peak. I’ve had the OG minilogue and currently have the Peak and can attest they’re both very versatile and very knob-per-function (though certain things on the minilogue and peak do require a level or so of menu diving, most of the daily stuff is right there)

2 Likes

I was only offering advice from my own experience.

Because that is the appropriate time to say, “maybe get nothing.” It’s not gatekeeping it’s more like those warning signs outside underwater caves.

Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 8.20.30 AM

Ok, you won’t die. But if you are just buying synths thinking that you are missing some key ingredient (ie if you are starting with a OT/Blofeld/Microfreak which is a dream setup), that does lead to suffering. It’s an unattenuated feedback loop with disappointment being the primary motivation for purchasing until disappointment is dealt with in the mind or the bank account empties out. It’s obviously preferable to check yourself before you wreck yourself.

That said, if you have the means and you are collecting synths because you love them and want to catch them like pokemon please follow your dream. I’ll happily admire your wall of synths.

4 Likes

There was a great thread on Blofeld’s ability to make “analog” sounds - people couldn’t tell the difference between the analog synth and the Blofeld. The Blofeld is really all one needs - I would try some new presets to freshen it up for youself.

https://waldorfmusic.com/en/blofeld-software/product/41-analog-voltage

4 Likes

I don’t understand why it has to be one or the other: either you buy nothing, or you buy a wall of synths. I’ve been playing music my whole life; not every purchase I made was perfect (I bought an MC-303 for chrissake!). sometimes you just don’t like something and want something else. it happens. replace the thing you don’t like with one you do.

to YOU. but apparently not for the OP. that’s why they asked for our help!

1 Like

I think the Modal Electronics Cobalt8 that you mentioned in the very first post hits everything on your list just perfectly. Plus, there’s a very small desktop version if you already have keys to play it via midi or a larger keyboard version. I’d try that one out :slight_smile:

(The SH-01A @AdamJay mentioned is also great for a simple sweet spot synth, but 4 voices max)

2 Likes

The Blofeld is great, but not for everyone. If you’re not getting the sounds you want out of it at this point then my suggestion would be to sell it and maybe try a Virus B or C. Previous warnings about endless GAS are very valid however.

As for the rest I love my Digitone, but I like it more for arps, leads, textures and percussive sounds…the pads always left me a little cold. Minilogue is OK, but again I think a Virus sounds better. Just my two cents.

2 Likes

Did I say that? Because I’m pretty sure I just said it can happen not that is inevitably will. I chose someone collecting a wall of synths as an extreme example to demonstrate that your motivation is the important part for your mental wellbeing.

If OP had a 32k 5U modular, a CS-80, and a Fostex reel to reel tape recorder with a stack of every Roland space echo from the 1970’s and early 1980s THEN they would have my personal dream set up.

1 Like

Have you checked out some of the Blofeld patch packs?

Worth looking into. Often new gear isn’t the answer to creative problems.

That said, and as @SouvlakiPlaystation mentioned:

I think with OT, it is most ideal if you want to sequence it and sample it, and move on. It kinda rules for this, but then again a lot of plugins do too.

It is not ideal if you want to set up a multi for each Part on your OT, and be able to bounce around from part to part, multi to multi. Since you love tweaking presets, and Blofeld doesn’t make copies of them to be tweaked in the multi (without overwriting the original patches), it requires some organization, employing naming conventions so you don’t start editing patches in one part/multi that are dependent assets elsewhere. Again. Not ideal.

2 Likes

I’ve not owned but have been recommending the Blofeld a lot lately (based on friends owning it). It seems really powerful with a good sound and I remember there being preset packs available beyond the factory presets (quick google search says there are a few around).

When I had a DSI Evolver I was not a huge fan of the matrix style programming but the screen on the Evolver didn’t give much or easy to understand information about what was happening. The Blofeld is probably at least marginally better at this. Matrix programming was defo way better than deep menu diving.

Though someone did suggest the Roland Boutique SH-01 remake. Again, not used it, but I fell in love with the sound of it a long time ago when I got my first DAW and downloaded my first free VSTs having downloaded a well known free software version of the synth.

Having a remake of that synth is high on my want-list.

1 Like

This combination would be right in the OP’s budget.

2 Likes

Appreciate the effort from everybody pitching in with their thoughts and suggestions. :grinning:

I’m going to explore sound banks online further for both the Microfreak and the Blofeld and see where that gets me.

I also have a Cobalt8 - Desktop version on its way to broaden my setup, should arrive on Friday. :grin:
I’m always on the lookout for other ‘mates’ for my OT so whatever’s on top of mind, please use this “topic” to keep filling it with other great suggestions! :blush:

4 Likes

I think you’ll like the Cobalt. I have an Argon 8 which I also really like and it sounds like we were looking for something similar.

1 Like