Synth as master keyboard. Suggestions?

Clavia synths are deliberatly designed for performing with very good keyboards.

2 Likes

Some people say that the Novation SL has kind of stiff keybed…

I recommend Virus Ti kbd, but only if using the synth too. Anyway… the keybed is fantastic!

1 Like

Analog Keys. Very powerful both as synth and as MIDI or CV keyboard. Multi Map FTW :+1:

2 Likes

Reviving this old thread to ask suggestions about a synth to act as master keyboard.

I’m currently using a Wavestate for midi keyboard duties, but don’t like the feel of the keybed and I’m not gelling with the synth workflow either, so I’m thinking to let it go for a pure midi keyboard.

But the cheapest 3/4 octaves keyboards (keystep and similar) seems not a big a step forward from the Wavestate one, and given the price of the good proper ones (sl49/mpk) with all their added pads/encoders/functionalities that doesn’t interest me, as I’m sequencing only OTB stuff with a dedicated midi sequencer, I thought that for that kind of money I could get a proper Fatar or similar keybed with a bonus synth added.

I’m working in a list of candidates, I’d like some thoughts and suggestions from you guys.

Novation Ultranova
Blofeld Keys
Hydrasynth Explorer (minikeys)
Cobalt8/Argon8
Novation Bass Station II (short keyboard tho)

Are the cheapest synths I could find with a good, not too big keybed with AT.

On the more expansive side of things I though also about Virus and Elektron DN/analog keys

Other interesting machines?
Thx

The keybed on the DN Keys is very nice IMO, easily one of the best keybeds I’ve tried, and the whole unit is built super-well. I use it as my controller keyboard for my DAW now, too, replacing my Novation Impulse as it takes up less room on my desk (it has external mode that makes using it as a controller keyboard really easy). However, it isn’t many keys so if you are a player (I’m really not :joy:) you might want something with more octaves.

1 Like

Maybe flip things around concentrating on the features you seek. Do things like poly-aftertouch, MPE, keyboard splits, built in sequencers, arpeggiators, keyboard size / feel, controller features, CV, etc, matter to you ?

List out what you want and then picking will be easier.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Here’s a new option for keyboard “synths” that can also act as a controller. I quote the synth part, as it doesn’t become one until you complete it, but the nice part is what that synth is, is completely up to you ! And you can change that as you change as well.

The Cre8audio NIftyKEYZ.

I like the keyboard splits, multi-channel CV output, the arp and sequencer built in, and the price, among many things.

Even the Eurorack parts you add can be part of the controller.

…if it comes to really learning playing skills and weighted keys…

i hardly recommend some plain master piano keybed midi controler…
get used to that feeling once and for all…and be easily able to adept that to any other synth sound or real accoustic sounds, no matter from where it comes…

2 Likes

If poly aftertouch is your thing look at hydrasynth.

3 Likes

You’re right.

I’m no keyboardist at all, and I’m gonna use the keyboard to input notes into a proper sequencer, one instrument at time, so no need for splits/zone/sequencing features.
I’d like aftertouch, not necessarily poly tho.
No need a daw interface as I’m completely out of the box
Maybe I’d like to learn some piano skills along the way, but no major buying point for now

I’ll be probably good with a Keystep37 and call it a day, but as I’m getting rid of the Wavestate, the only midi keyboard in my setup at the moment, I though I could catch two birds and get a Synth with a nice keybed instead, mostly because proper standalone midi keyboards are roughly the price of used synths with good keyboards, like Blofeld/Hydra Expl/BassStation2.

The main question is I’d be good with a Keystep37 or maybe makes more sense to spend more money for a 3/400€ synth with a good keybed?

1 Like

Yep, the Hydra is really tempting, but how does its keybed feels? The minikeys are an hassle if you want to (learn to) play in a more “acoustic” way

Sequential Rev2 …

2 Likes

don’t have much to add here, but last time i looked into this, it was to use a nord lead a1 as a controller. it may be possible, but folks in the forums pointed to the meager capabilities in the manual and basically said it is not worth it. by the same token, it’s always funny to see matt johnson’s videos where he uses a prophet 6 as a controller. it would probably be worth looking into some of the dedicated controllers already mentioned here and elsewhere in threads unless you really need another synth with keys.

1 Like

Thanks a lot, I guess I’m sold on the Explorer.
For the price it seems to be a really cool synth and pretty straight forward to sound design on it, and the added keybed quality and aftertouch possibilities makes it a no brainer to replace my wavestate.

Love the guy’s tattoos and accent too! :slightly_smiling_face::grin:

Edit to add, DSI and Clavia stuff is really really great but we’re speaking of a totally different tier, either price and sizewise,

I would play on it first before making the conclusion it has a better keybed quality. I played on it a few times and wasn’t really keen on the keybed, I liked the keybed of the Minilogue XD better for instance. And they still are mini keys, not comparable to a high quality (semi) weighted keybed.

Youtube also states that the review contains paid promotion, so probably has a slightly more positive outcome of the hydrasynth capabilities.

2 Likes

Aren’t the Explorer keys semi weighted as well?
The consensus around the web seems to praise the Explorer keybed as a really good one, clearly a step above Arturia’s controllers, at least from some random skimming over forum/reddit threads.

I guess other contenders could be the Argon8/Cobalt8 with Fatar full size keys, don’t know if weighted/semi weighted or neither the two.
They’ve got aftertouch too, but not poly.
They are probably better on the keyboard aspect, I don’t know about sound and UI, relative to the Hydra.

Fact is I’ve got a few synths, including also a Peak, so maybe something completely different like an Hydra could make more sense as an addition to my setup compared to other gear similar to what I have* already

*(Peak, Micromonsta2, Microfreak, Sh01a)

If I had enough space I’ll probably sell the Peak too, and buy a Summit, but it’s really too big for my space

They are, but they still are mini keys, so not really comparable to semi weighted regular sized keys.

I ended up with little cutie!
I’m in the honeymoon phase, but guys, this thing really delivers!
I didn’t believe it could have such a deep, beefy lowend, and the pads… Loving it already!

The keys are a bit weird at first, I guess I have to be used to the minikeys, but the poly AT is nuts!
I was able to drive Peak, Micromonsta2 and Microfreak in minutes, without even open the hydra manual, the setup/menus are really straightforward and make completely sense to me.

Thinking that I basically flipped a slightly used Wavestate for this thing brand new sounds like a steal. Incredible value

2 Likes

Could you get more specific with this ? Weird, how so ?

I am used to the Wavestate keys that are bigger, this are tinier but I guess same as every minikeys keyboard like Arturia Keystep for example.

I’m not a keyboard player, but the keys feels better to me than the Wavestate ones, more “alive”. I guess that’s because they’re semi-weighted and more refined from a pure build quality perspective.
But you have to be more precise 'cause of the smaller dimension. The black keys seems to have a rather short throw.

All in all it’s a an enjoyable keybed to me, and really pleasant to the touch, just not something I’d buy if your serious about shredding or proper piano work.

1 Like

I’m gonna have to give the hydrasynth explorer a go at some point… I do have to say on the regular hydrasynth I found the keys to be a bit of a let down in feel coming for a dsi semi weighted fatar board, personally I would take a good feeling board over polyaftertouch but I’m willing to forgive more in minikeys. I wanna give they hydrasynth deluxe board a go also at some point even though I have no room for it.