Synth as master keyboard. Suggestions?

You could also look at Argon8. It comes in 37 or 61, it’s supposedly pretty nice keys.

Ok, in which case:

• you don’t need weighted or even semi weighted keys
  • you don’t need any more than a 3 octave keyboard
  • you probably don’t need to worry about aftertouch
  • you’ll want an arpeggiator
  • you might want something that locks to scales / chords
  • 4 or 6 voice / polyphony is likely fine

Other questions from your initial list:

• it seems you want analog sounds and no digital?
  • when you say ‘master keyboard’, what else will you be controlling? Just the Modor?
  • do you use softsynths / want to integrate with a computer?
  • do you need multiple splits on your keyboard to control different things at once? (which will mean needing much greater dexterity with both hands)
  • do you have external effects, or need integrated effects?
  • I presume you already have a sequencer?

I would suggest something with a Fatar keybed. Options include: Matriarch, Grandmother, Pro 3, Blofeld, Digitone Keys, Prophet Rev2, Prophet 6, OB-6, Quantum, Prophet X/XL, Argon8, and probably others I’m forgetting.

The only non-Fatar worth mentioning would likely be the Hydrasynth and Summit.

Obviously a huge range of price ranges there, number of keys, synthesis capabilities and features, etc. Most two handed players are strict about having at least 5 octaves, while others can live with 4. Since this is meant to function as a master keyboard, I would suggest something with 4 or 5 octaves as opposed to 2 or 3.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s what I’m waiting on, but now I wonder if the Hydrasynth wouldn’t make a good tider-over.

Me, too, but if the OP wants a built in synth, our beloved SL mk3 doesn’t fill the bill. In fact, I’ve even mothballed my Novation while I’m seeing how well I can make do with a LinnStrument, which is also strictly a controller. Given its 128 keys and my SL mk3, I’m thinking a more compact controller, inexpensive and with an acceptable built-in synth might work for me. Sonically, though, I only find the Hydrasynth OK, and once the Osmose arrives (just six months out?) , I’m concerned that I’d end up storing the Hydrasynth.

EDIT: What?! The Hydrasynth has recently been updated for microtuning? That’s a dealmaker for me, but I see it’s currently out of stock everywhere.

1 Like

Considering you have asked for a synth as a master keyboard, to me none of the suggestions have what I consider full master keyboard functionality.

One example of a keyboard which has master keyboard functionality is the Yamaha MOXF, which has a definitive mode of operation where not only do you set up how it plays its internal synth engine but you can also setup and save things like splits, zones and layers for other MIDI connected synths.

But maybe that is not what you are looking for.

1 Like

+1 for the Novation SL MK3. Fantastic controller keyboard. Also, don’t forget Novation’s commitment to firmware updates.

2 Likes

Hmm maybe i have to re-evaluate my toughts regarding synths as a master keyboard

1 Like

I have no troubles using a synth as my “master” MIDI keys in conjunction with my Octatrack. It’s fantastic. I use the Auto Ch feature on the Octatrack to make it quick and easy to allow my Prophet’s keyboard to play all my other synths and even drum machines.

Out of your choices I would go for the UDO. A Prophet 8 is also a really good choice that might be more affordable. Its keyboard is long, you’ll have velocity and aftertouch, and not to mention you’ll also get a fantastic synth.

1 Like

I take it the cirklon can take the midi input from your keyboard and send it out to the synth of the currently selected track so you don’t have to change midi channel on keyboard, just change the sequencer track?

In which case probably any synth with a key action you like and an arp sent as midi out would do the trick. The disadvantage here is if you want to sequence the synth you use as the controller you can’t keep using it as a controller for other synths while the sequence is playing (unless its bitimbral like Summit or Prophet Rev2, disclaimer, pretty sure both of these are).

But if you want to play multiple instruments and more than two splits and layers from the keyboard you’re probably better off looking at a midi controller or something workstationy like a ModX. These things are often 16 part multitimbral so plenty of additional sounds to sequence externally from the cirklon on channels 2-16 while still playing the keyboard.

Or, if you’re game and can find one nearby, an old Ensoniq keyboard (EPS classic or 16+ and others too probably) have good keybeds with polyphonic aftertouch and can be set up to do up to 8 splits/layers. No arp though.

Clavia synths are deliberatly designed for performing with very good keyboards.

2 Likes

Some people say that the Novation SL has kind of stiff keybed…

I recommend Virus Ti kbd, but only if using the synth too. Anyway… the keybed is fantastic!

1 Like

Analog Keys. Very powerful both as synth and as MIDI or CV keyboard. Multi Map FTW :+1:

2 Likes

Reviving this old thread to ask suggestions about a synth to act as master keyboard.

I’m currently using a Wavestate for midi keyboard duties, but don’t like the feel of the keybed and I’m not gelling with the synth workflow either, so I’m thinking to let it go for a pure midi keyboard.

But the cheapest 3/4 octaves keyboards (keystep and similar) seems not a big a step forward from the Wavestate one, and given the price of the good proper ones (sl49/mpk) with all their added pads/encoders/functionalities that doesn’t interest me, as I’m sequencing only OTB stuff with a dedicated midi sequencer, I thought that for that kind of money I could get a proper Fatar or similar keybed with a bonus synth added.

I’m working in a list of candidates, I’d like some thoughts and suggestions from you guys.

Novation Ultranova
Blofeld Keys
Hydrasynth Explorer (minikeys)
Cobalt8/Argon8
Novation Bass Station II (short keyboard tho)

Are the cheapest synths I could find with a good, not too big keybed with AT.

On the more expansive side of things I though also about Virus and Elektron DN/analog keys

Other interesting machines?
Thx

The keybed on the DN Keys is very nice IMO, easily one of the best keybeds I’ve tried, and the whole unit is built super-well. I use it as my controller keyboard for my DAW now, too, replacing my Novation Impulse as it takes up less room on my desk (it has external mode that makes using it as a controller keyboard really easy). However, it isn’t many keys so if you are a player (I’m really not :joy:) you might want something with more octaves.

1 Like

Maybe flip things around concentrating on the features you seek. Do things like poly-aftertouch, MPE, keyboard splits, built in sequencers, arpeggiators, keyboard size / feel, controller features, CV, etc, matter to you ?

List out what you want and then picking will be easier.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Here’s a new option for keyboard “synths” that can also act as a controller. I quote the synth part, as it doesn’t become one until you complete it, but the nice part is what that synth is, is completely up to you ! And you can change that as you change as well.

The Cre8audio NIftyKEYZ.

I like the keyboard splits, multi-channel CV output, the arp and sequencer built in, and the price, among many things.

Even the Eurorack parts you add can be part of the controller.

…if it comes to really learning playing skills and weighted keys…

i hardly recommend some plain master piano keybed midi controler…
get used to that feeling once and for all…and be easily able to adept that to any other synth sound or real accoustic sounds, no matter from where it comes…

2 Likes

If poly aftertouch is your thing look at hydrasynth.

3 Likes

You’re right.

I’m no keyboardist at all, and I’m gonna use the keyboard to input notes into a proper sequencer, one instrument at time, so no need for splits/zone/sequencing features.
I’d like aftertouch, not necessarily poly tho.
No need a daw interface as I’m completely out of the box
Maybe I’d like to learn some piano skills along the way, but no major buying point for now

I’ll be probably good with a Keystep37 and call it a day, but as I’m getting rid of the Wavestate, the only midi keyboard in my setup at the moment, I though I could catch two birds and get a Synth with a nice keybed instead, mostly because proper standalone midi keyboards are roughly the price of used synths with good keyboards, like Blofeld/Hydra Expl/BassStation2.

The main question is I’d be good with a Keystep37 or maybe makes more sense to spend more money for a 3/400€ synth with a good keybed?

1 Like

Yep, the Hydra is really tempting, but how does its keybed feels? The minikeys are an hassle if you want to (learn to) play in a more “acoustic” way

Sequential Rev2 …

2 Likes