Syntakt USB Ripcord

You need to know if it delivers 12 volts…Not all power banks will.

Have a good one,

3EO

2 Likes

It says PD output 12v=1.5a

Is that enough?

Thanks for any help as I’m lost with this

12V/1.5A is what my little one delivers and that’s enough for the Syntakt. The Syntakt itself says it wants 2A but I haven’t experienced any power shortage here. So, I think you’re good with that one.

2 Likes

Hmm that’s actually a pretty smart idea, haven’t considered a case being a possible solution. But would it fit the headphone cord sticking out of the backside while staying in the case?

Ahh, forgot about that😅 Would probably have to drill a hole…

2 Likes

My thinking was to just screw a flat plastic or metal plate on the underside and just velcro the battery underneath it. Plate to avoid sticky glue on the Syntakt itself and to dissipate some of the heat. Not very elegant maybe, but since I never take this thing outside of the house, it should be sufficient.

2 Likes

Have you tried the 3M/Scotch Dual Lock products? I’ve been using it on pedals and synths (and all sorts of other shit tbh) for years and find that the adhesive side peels off pretty much everything without leaving goo or pulling paint. It also kills hook/loop velcro in terms of holding strength and attach/remove longevity.

2 Likes

Looks like this one will work as there is 12V/3A. Hopefully these figures are reality

Just chiming in that I received my 12V USB-C PD Birdcord yesterday, and it works perfectly with the Syntakt! I’ve got multiple USB-C PD batteries I can pair it with, but yesterday I was using this very cheap ($20ish) one that worked fine, and probably has about a 1 - 2 hour runtime:
INIU Portable Charger, Small 10000mAh Power Bank USB C In/Output 22.5W

I also have the official one Songbird FX recommends as well, and it obviously has a much longer runtime, as it is a larger battery with twice the capacity.

Baseus Power Bank, 65W 20000mAh Laptop Portable Charger, Fast Charging USB C 4-Port PD3.0 Battery Pack

I also have the Analog Cases Pulse case and the Syntakt + battery fits nicely in the case. I will probably keep the battery in the slip cover it comes with to keep it from rubbing against the side of the syntakt too much during travel. I also keep an extra piece of foam in the Pulse case pocket to help make the Syntakt fit a bit more snugly, as without that it will move around inside the case.

I’m still hoping to someday find a battery that fits within the vertical ‘thickness’ dimensions of the Syntakt, so I can dual lock tape it to the side to make the whole unit feel more portable. Thus far the USB-C PD batteries I have are all too wide for this, so I’m on the hunt for a more narrow one.

I have that case, a Syntakt, a lid, and the Baseus power bank recommended by Birdcord. The power bank fits beside the Syntakt (and I use the foam separator that comes with the case to stop the battery rubbing the Syntakt).

If you use a lid on the Elektron, it’ll push the mesh pocket too close to the inner surface of the case to hold (most) batteries. Personally, I wouldn’t carry the instrument without the lid; I also wouldn’t want a battery rattling around the case without a lid. But I’m picky :wink:

Maybe if the headphones have a right-angle connector. The same goes for the power cord. I usually take all the bits out of the case, even on 15min train journeys.

Sorry!! I didn’t see you had replied!!

2 Likes

I have not and appreciate the advice! Need to figure out where that is sold in Sweden now…

https://www.3msverige.se/3M/sv_SE/p/d/b40068898/ has a ‘Find a Dealer’ section.

What about one of these? I use it with my Syntakt, perfect angle, perfect size. You could just velcro the powerbank hidden underneath…

1 Like

And I’ve just glued some rubber strips to the ‘feet’ to stop it slipping

Does anyone have any input on getting a Powerbank + Birdcord vs Powerbank with AC?

Not sure if needed but I made a new topic on the subject:

1 Like

His gives me hope. I saw my powerbank only does 1.5a at 12v so i was a bit bummed(it says 2a on the syntakt). I wonder if anything could make it “spike” higher… maybe that analog circuitry in action?

I thought i would also point out this cable, adafruit is a great supplier of electronics components and this cable rated up to 5a so that is a ton of overhead for the syntakt(assuming your power bank is capable) its way better priced than the birdcord esp if you are in the US but i often see this cable sold out too(but also often restocked)
USB Type C 3.1 PD to 5.5mm Barrel Jack Cable - 12V 5A Output [1.2m long with E-Mark] : ID 5450 : $7.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits

Also i know there is a company out there that makes portable 12v rechargeable battery packs for electronics, they are called talentcell, that might be another option.

2 Likes

I just tried this and it did not work. I plugged the adafruit cord into the Syntakt and a PD battery and when I turned on the Syntakt, a sound I can only describe as a klaxon alarm came through my setup from the Syntakt. I can only guess that Elektron built in some sort of warning when using a problem power source.

Luckily, the Syntakt seems fine when I connected it back to the regular power supply.

welp, color me contrite. After y’all’s suggestion about the battery being the issue, I tried the Adafruit cable with a Baseus and it works great with the Syntakt. Tried it outside in the park for a 2 hour jam with no warning sounds from the Syntakt and no heat off the cable.

1 Like

You should provide details about you power bank, it may be the problem here, not the cable.

this msg is removed because i only have expirience with running DN of a dc converter.