Syntakt USB Ripcord

As I said above, 1.5A at 12V is fine, I’ve had no issues whatsoever here.

Excellent, and now that someone has “guinea pigged” the adafruit cable i can go ahead and order one myself!!

Kidding of course, i was surprised to hear the issue with the cable since they say it’s rated for up to 5a, well beyond the stated 2a let alone the actual consumption reported here at 1.5a.

Glad you got it sorted out as being a battery issue… Sometimes u just wanna get away from your desk for some inspiration :slight_smile:

I know exactly what you mean… these things ain’t cheap! Nor should they be. I went ahead and got the cover and the case as well and found the same thing, I wouldn’t want to just toss it in the case without the lid. Also not much room for cables with the lid but at the end of the day we’re trying to protect the device not carry everything in one unit.

1 Like

Hi.

I know there is a lot of talk about it already but I was wondering if someone could help me out with this. I initially thought most of the cables recommended, like the birdcord, actually convert 5v to 12v. Which is not the case I guess? How do you guys know that power bars like the ones below support 12V? I can`t see anything indicating that it would support 12V?

https://www.amazon.se/dp/B09G39KZM2

I bought the cable from adafruit and I own this power bank. But I have the feeling that won`t work?

Did actually anyone tried it with a step up 5v-12v converter cable? I got one which when checking the specs should actually work, it supported 2A but didn`t work after all.

I think the magic thing you want is USB-PD. Not an expert at all, but my understanding is that no conversion is involved. Instead, what USB-PD is is the battery and the device communicate over the PD protocol to directly set the output to the right settings.

That’s what I kind of thought as well. the Powerbank I ordered has USB-PD, but doesn`t say anything about 12V. It just says 5V 3A for the USB-PD output. :thinking:

While you do need USB-PD support to get 12V out of a power bank with one of those USB-C adapters, 12V support is not standard.

The original spec included 12V, but this was replaced with 15V as they added higher voltages to later revisions of the spec.

So you really need to check the power bank spec/manual to see if support is included.
Many popular brands, like Anker, often do not include it.
And if they don’t present that information, I would err on the side of assuming it is not supported.

When I was looking for more affordable options with 12V support, some of Belkin’s PD banks did include it in the spec - so that may be an option for you. But you still need to check that specific model on their website to be sure.

I have a myVolts Ripcord, and can confirm it does not work with the Syntakt.
I then bought one of the PD 12V cables only to find that my Anker power bank doesn’t supply 12V.

But I haven’t got around to buying another power bank/cable yet.
I might, now that I’ve found the Belkin options, but it’s an expense I don’t really need right now.

I see. Thanks a lot for clarification. Seems like its not that easy figuring out which power bank supports it, as even on amazon most of the time there is not much information about it.

Thanks again.

I find it’s much better to check the manufacturer’s website or the product manual to find this information than an Amazon listing.

And if it’s a generic/random brand (which is a plague on Amazon these days), where that resource does not exist, I wouldn’t trust that it’s engineered to appropriate safety standards to use anyway.

For what it’s worth, I looked up that INIU power bank and if this is the same model, it appears to support 12V 1.5A: INIU 10000mah 3-Port 22.5W Portable Charger With Built-in Phone Holder

But that website doesn’t fill me with much confidence in the brand.

2 Likes

Hmm… Dang. I just tried this exact cable with an Apple USB-C 61W charger and neither my Syntakt nor Digitone will power on which is different than the results that others are getting with this cable.

The above step was performed after trying it with a 20,000w power bank and that not working either, btw.

Have you checked if the Apple charger and the Powerbank support 12V?

For the record, I use two of these:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0B9FDZX7P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

one for the Syntakt, one for the Push2. They work.

I use them with a generic USB-C charger and with this Powerbank:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0B7B8644M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Powerbank powers the Syntakt for 4,5 hours continous play.

1 Like

I use this adapter with a PD USB-C cable and it’s been great! The only problem is the barrel plug can be kinda loose, but it’s never been knocked out while in use (it just kinda spins around a bit more than I’d like)

1 Like

Looks like it doesn’t include 12V support:

Output:

• 60W USB-C Power Delivery 2.0 (5V/2.4A, 9V/3A, 20V/3A)

You are right!! I mean, you knew that already… but I also just learned a few minutes ago from the local electronics store that these things need 12v regulators to work. Seems obvious now.

Edit: This was all spelled out for me on the page that I purchased the cord from, darn it.

"Inside the cable is a PD sink negotiation chip. When plugged into a proper PD Type C adapter that can provide 12V it will chat with the PD source chip in the power supply and tell it “Hey please change your output to 12V thankyouverymuch!” and ta-da, you get 12V out on the DC barrel jack. Do check the side of the adapter you are plugging into to make sure it is a PD source - the voltage and current capabilities will be listed on your adapter. We have a demo image up top for what it will look like if it can support the desired output.

Note it is not a boost or buck converter - if the power supply only can do 5V or 20V it will not magically convert it to 12V - we do have USB booster cables if that’s what you want. Voltage output will often be 0.25V to 0.5V higher than the rated voltage so that at high current draw the voltage drop across the cable will still keep it at about the desired voltage at the tip."

1 Like

I case it helps someone. I got this combination of cable and Power Bank working.

I got the adafruit cable (USB Type C 3.1 PD to 5.5mm Barrel Jack Cable - 12V 5A Output [1.2m long with E-Mark] : ID 5450 : $7.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits) and this power bank
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B09CZ6TY7F?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
Under specs it says: USB Output 12V/1.5A, which, even others confirmed already, works fine for me as well.
Most important really is that the Power Bank supports at least 12V/1.5A

10000mAh is not a lot though. I think I won`t be able to keep it running for more then 2hours. But that’s sufficient for me.

1 Like

I’d suggest buying 2 amp minimum. Actually it would be good if someone measure exact power draw with digital meter at maximum performance, say, when all tracks play and cranked up volume.

That has been done already and found to be bellow 1.5A

1 Like

Oh, ok, even better - less load on batteries

Where they ship from? US or EU?