Syntakt PCB

The Digitakt and Syntakt boards looks like Google Earth pics of suburbs pre- and post-gentrification.

7 Likes

More like bending over backwards!

had no idea elektron were using FPGAs i assumed it was DSP. wild!

Oh yes, looks very dense! Way denser than other PCBs Iā€™ve seen in the wild for sure. No wonder it runs hot with so many components (some of them to drive the analog circuits) and so close to each other.

1gb +drive?

The Nanya 2102 NT5TU128M8HE is DRAM, could potentially be used as the drive as the board seems to plenty of battery power as well. Not sure if the +drive is non-volatile/volatile (meaning it gets erased if power is lost), and the Nanya 2102 chip is probably used for general DRAM purposes as well.

Didnā€™t find any non-volatile memory modules from the photos, but some of the labels are hard to read as the pictures are not super high quality.

Whatā€™s the spartan?

Xilinx Spartan XC3S200A (https://www.digikey.es/en/products/detail/xilinx-inc/XC3S200A-4FTG256I/1756141), a FPGA (Field Programmable Gate Array), basically hardware you can program to fulfill different purposes. Tiny little embeddable computers in short :slight_smile:

5 Likes

FPGA means higher clocking then DSP correct?
The Oxford Oscilators on Peak an Summit are FPGA, right?

Edit:
reading up on Peak it seems like FPGA is a more powerful processor then normal DSP.
Peak Explained | Novation (novationmusic.com)

2 Likes

Humbled
Thanks for explaining it

1 Like

BTW, I would love Elektron would publish articles like that, diving a little more deep into the why and the how of these instrumentsā€¦ (yeah, this specific article is more marketing than anything other, but you know what I mean)

1 Like

Absolutely!

as a novice regarding these sort of things i found it really interesting to read a more in depth explanation of the actual components.

1 Like

Looks like a cirrus adc/dac again

1 Like

FPGA means higher clocking then DSP correct?

Usually, yes (but not always). Biggest difference is the workload they can handle. DSPs are more like traditional CPUs in that they accept general code (youā€™ll write C code for them normally) and can handle anything a CPU could handle (although they are much smaller and slower usually, than the one you have in your computer), while a FPGA are just hardware gates that you happen to be able to control via software. DSPs are usually limited by physics + the software, while a FGPA is just hardware signals so they usually run much faster (only limited by physics).

The ā€œNewā€ Oxford Oscillators are FPGAs it seems yeah.

5 Likes

Donā€™t tell Stimming.

7 Likes

Iā€™d love this as well, but based on the following answer, it seems unlikely to happen, sadly :ā€™(

1 Like

no company ever does such thingsā€¦ for obvious reasons

This really explains the higher price, did not expect 2 Coldfireā€™s and two Spartanā€™s.
Itā€™s also packed so no battery mods for this one.

The Nanya NT5TU128M8HE is a 1Gb(= 128MB) DRAM chip.
There are two, so 256MB memory total. Maybe room for some samples?

The two Coldfireā€™s are the same as the Digitone, probably for digital sound generation.

I guess one of the FPGAā€™s could be for USB communication, at least thatā€™s how RME and MOTU also use them. It allows to debug USB communication from the interface side, and thus making stable communication with crappy USB controllers possible.
edit: probably not though, since DT doesnā€™t have one.

FPGAā€™s can be used for anything digital that you can imagine, but theyā€™re not magical or very fast.
Theyā€™re actually pretty expensive and slow compared to general purpose CPUā€™s.

Where they shine is on performing very small specific tasks, which can be much faster than on a general purpose CPU. But if you turn an FPGA into a normal CPU, performance is abysmal.
For example, just an Atari or Amiga CPU needs a pretty powerful FPGA to implement.

I doubt that they used C for this, my guess is on assembly.

The fire at AKM probably didnā€™t help.

6 Likes

Sorry, I didnā€™t want to imply I know what language they used to program the thing with. Eventually itā€™ll be Assembly for the DSPs indeed, although annoying to write by hand when C can (in most cases) do just fine, but judging by past Elektron staff replies here on the forum, Iā€™m doubtful weā€™ll ever know for certain. For the FPGAs itā€™ll be Verilog HDL with 99% certainty.

Wow, looks like Elektron went all inā€¦, with the chipsā€¦
okay, very bad jokes aside, anyone know if a second set of outputs is possible? I almost talked myself into the Syntakt today but realized there is no way to get a separate out for the Kick without sacrificing stereo out for the rest (standalone mode, obviously OB is an option but not for what I need).

I feel like Elektron still hasnā€™t come up with a proper SideChain solution. I ended up buying some SuonoBuono nABC comps to get the sound/workflow I wanted but seems like the syntakt wonā€™t fit the bill.

I just wanted to make sure that people donā€™t think adding stuff or fixing bugs is just changing a couple lines of code.

A while ago I had a conversation on this forum that made me aware of the way that DT handles memory management. Canā€™t remember what itā€™s called, but it only made sense in the context of assembly.
For the FPGAā€™s itā€™s HDL indeed.

1 Like

I could be wrong but I remember someone saying the Rytm has FPGAs in them and they are just for rerouting the analog components for the different machines so no actual digital audio processing going down with them like creating oscillators.

3 Likes

Routing analog signals with a digital chip would be impossible, but using one as a digital controller for the analog components makes sense.

If you look at the PCB of the Digitone it looks like the FPGA is used to bridge/control/combine the two Coldfireā€™s. Maybe it allocates voices to each one?
On the Syntakt PCB thereā€™s one in almost the same position as DN.

So, two Coldfireā€™s, each with 128MB memory, bridged by an FPGA. Another FPGA for control of the analog components, and a flash drive. Thatā€™s quite a technical accomplisment.

Totally forgot, for the USB audio part, there are a lot of hints towards usb-audio/Ploytec Microchip reference designs like this: USB2.0 Audio JCT2.10 lowest possible latency soundcard

1 Like

Ess said about the Spartan in the DN exactly ā€œhandles the communication between the CFsā€.
The other Spartan probably implements digital to analog interfaces like in the Analog series.

1 Like