Syntakt One Machine Only Challenge: SY BITS

Back from the dead :skull: :ok_hand:

1 Like

Love it, thanks!

1 Like

This is next level! clearly you have Leon Thermin’s ghost trapped in your machine.

2 Likes

(on a side note, making patterns with slides using the LFO on the Syntakt is still faster than programming them on the TB-303’s sequencer :stuck_out_tongue: )

6 Likes

I tried yesterday for 2 hours to do an industrial kick but the result is not good :sweat_smile:
I probably need to take lessons with you, or buy a pack of presets :laughing:

1 Like

I’m all in on the challenge! This one is ambient, 8 sy bits were used.
My next one will be rhythmic! great challenge and great way to learn this instrument inside and out, one machine at a time.
Loving all the sounds I’m hearing from everyone!

18 Likes

Ah! Do you have a quick tutorial for that? I remember vaguely seeing something about slides a while back, but maybe I didn’t yet have a ST at that point.
LFO on pitch for the trig you want to slide?

I’ve seen some comments about kicks… If anyone is struggling, here’s some starting points, 2 different simple methods that can easily be combined.

1. Ping the Filter: Sy Bits is easily a noise generator, so on the SYN page, change Balance to 0, on the FLTR page, lower the FREQ, increase the RESO, increase the ENV and then change the DEC to something short (as per preference).

2. Pitch Envelope: On SYN (as a starting point), set BAL to 127, on LFO page, choose DEST as SYN TUNE, for WAVE, select the exponential wave type, change MODE to a single triggered cycle, adjust the speed to taste (at default the pitch will slowly ramp down, if using MULT, then BPM 16 should work well and then adjust as needed).

As mentioned, you can combine both by enabling the ENV on the FLTR page. You can of course add noise back in as needed.

The Sy Bits machine is ridiculously flexible for an insane amount sound variation using wave types, sample/bit rate reduction, unison. If getting stuck, I would use all of those as secondary sound shaping tools after creating a base kick patch.

Hope that helps someone.

Indeed this was a fun challenge and I likely would have overlooked this one if not for this thread so thank you @x0x

4 Likes

Hey dear all, here are four challenge entries in one video :stuck_out_tongue:

0:23 - Rhythmic Noise Industrial
1:24 - 303ish Acid
1:56 - Hardcore Gabber with Hoover
2:20 - Kosmic Space New Age Theremin Ambient

There’s also the answer to the question how the “Theremin” was performed. Enjoy :wink:

30 Likes

Some noise, some bass, some (notso)mellowdy
1 pattern, 8x SY BITS

2 Likes

“Accoustic” drums & “steeldrum” with chord pads
3 patterns (for melody), 8xSFY BITS
(Aeolian minor scale used)

Thanks for this challenge !
It’s a fun way to explore sounds :slight_smile: .

4 Likes

One pattern, one Sy Bits machine.

10 Likes

I like its craziness. I would use filters more !

I tinkered with filtering but it really didn’t go with what I was aiming for. Maybe it was just my headphones.

1 Like

Love it!
Kickin hard

1 Like

My attempt
I hope I don’t get Copyright claimed I usually dont do covers :rofl:

13 Likes

Acid is sweet

1 Like

Amazing!

1 Like

This is fire!