Syntakt 1.00 : bug reports

You may be starting with a fully open AHD envelope, so changing to a machine without its own decay (syn page, or fully open) would possibly do this … I’d expect a trig would need to be involved though

Hey all,

Update: after speaking to customer support they have explained what was happening and I now understand I was doing it wrong. Leaving the info here for those who might try to do the same:

A program change will not be repeated unless there are any changes (and this is the intended behavior to avoid quirks when an external synth won’t instantly load patches). If there is no difference to any of BANK/SBNK/PROG compared to what was last sent, a new message will not be sent when the step is triggered.

If you for example set it up like this (sending on the correct program change channel), pattern A01 should change to A02 and pattern A02 should change to pattern A01 when pressing play:

• Pattern A01 track 1 (MIDI track): PROG 2 locked to step 13.
  • Pattern A02 track 1 (MIDI track): PROG 1 locked to step 13.

Issue I reported, for reference (not a real issue but a misunderstanding):

I just found a problem when trying to send PC from my Syntakt to itself. So, I’ve connected the unit’s midi OUT to its midi IN and I hace a midi track in one pattern that’s set to send program changes.

The config is:

CHAN: 16
BANK: 1 (if this is inactive, it never works)
PROG: 19 (I want it to jump to pattern B3)

I’ve set a trig in the middle of the pattern to prevent delay problems, but it never works.

However, if I turn any of the BANK or PROG encoders while the pattern is playing, then at the end of the pattern it jumps correctly to the B3 pattern as intended.

What’s even stranger, if the unit is not playing anything and I turn any of those encoders, it also jumps to B3 immediately, which makes it impossible to configure the midi channel anymore unless the pattern is playing.

So that’s it :slight_smile:

Thanks to the customer support team for their quick response!

1 Like

Anyone not have any sounds on the +drive? I have the preset patterns and all that, but what strange is the preset sounds are in the pool when I’m in the preset project, but if I load my own project I have no preset sounds in either the pool or the drive.

2 Likes

You might want to do a factory reset.
Backup your material first :wink:

Mine arrived like that, Factory Reset did the trick for me.

I have experienced no bugs so far. This thread makes it look worse than it is.

2 Likes

Yes indeed, this thread is a collection.
And not all that was spotted got corrected for the launch: some bugs were found after the firmware 1.00 was released.
But seriously, I do believe it was a very successful launch, with a solid firmware overall.

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: How hot does your Syntakt get?

SY SHUTTR sound at bank E is muted by default. As in the volume is set to 0 at the AMP section.
Not really a bug but I guess it was missed.

I’d say the heat is a nonissue. Mine’s been on for a week straight now. No bugs here yet either.

1 Like

Anyone having issues with Step Record? Sequencer doesn’t advance to the next step (in either mode) like it does on the DT or DN.

3 Likes

Yeah doesn’t work for me either. It also created some weird problems like bright green steps in the sequencer that don’t go away and the sequencer not reacting to my changes.

2 Likes

I think this has been noticed already, but please report to Elektron support with as many details you can.

You have to engage the Keyboard by short tapping Fn+Keyb
It will light on (red led)

The Function key then temporarily toggles visibility of the keys, so that you are still basically in step entry mode

It’s a way to be in step entry mode (and monitor progress) and have ‘simultaneous’ access to the keys

1 Like

Yeah, for me neither, the sequencer doesn’t step forward after enter the note.

1 Like

The steps laid out in the manual do work (except one little issue)

STANDARD mode

1. Press [RECORD] + [STOP] to enter STEP RECORDING mode. The [RECORD] key starts to double-blink red. (Press [STOP] twice while keeping the [RECORD] key pressed to toggle between STANDARD and JUMP mode).
  2. Press a [TRIG] key to select the active step to where you want to start to add note trigs. The active step is shown with a green [TRIG] key that double-blinks. (If positioned on an earlier placed trig, it inherits the light pattern of that trig). You can also use [LEFT]/[RIGHT] to select the active step or skip steps.
  3. Press and hold [FUNC] and then press [TRIG 1–16] key to add a note trig on the corresponding track to the active step. The active step then automatically advances to the next step.

This should be 1-12 or if 1-16 the modifier input keys are meant to work in some cases (e.g. velocity) then there’s a bug there as 13-16 do nothing

Pinging @eangman as the manual needs a tweak here imho

3 Likes

Thanks for letting me know. I have already corrected this and it will be there in the next version of the manual :slight_smile:

6 Likes

So you can’t input modifier steps in step input mode, only live record them? That’s a shame if so

I suppose if you take retrigs, it makes a ‘bit’ of sense as you might normally run those for longer than a step - but even so, it does seem like a desirable option to be able to select a track and have the option to throw in some velocity variation

It’s perhaps not a bug, but more of an ‘oversight’ or feature request … it’s certainly worth having that possibility imho as those trigs are redundant anyway

1 Like

Agreed, I occasionally like to semi randomly mash buttons in step record mode (for instant techno :upside_down_face:) so being able to input variations like this would be really cool

1 Like