Sync Rytm with Ableton for a live setup

Hi everyone,

I just want to know how do you set up your live using Ableton live and Elektron gear …
I’ve tried many different way but I have some issues anytime :
-Octatrack as master = very bad midi sync with Ableton and bpm switch
-live as master with rytm / analog four / Octatrack = Very bad midi sync too / patterns play delay …
-drum rack in Ableton to sequence analog rytm = no sync problem but can’t mute or use p-locks and other cool features of the Elektron gear …
-with or without overbridge = same issue

maybe I haven’t tried the good setup ?
Is there any way to have a good sync with a 1500€ computer and those 1500€ machines ???
I mean I love my analog rytm / four / in the studio … But I also want to use it live with Ableton flexibility
I have seen many topic on the forum but each time I see the same issues .
Any ideas ?

Thanks

1 Like

Hello i post so many times on that subject. Do you really can’t get something from OVERBRIDGE ??? because before that i would recommend Two ways to get a nice SYNC but now with Overbridge that’s a third solution and as the first " FREE " as my second ways is a PAID way

SO

1/ Find your SYNC with your ears

2/ Overbridge

PRO AND PAID SOLUTION DEDICATED SYNC BOX

3/ Syncgen 2 PRO

3/ Acme4

In 3/ There’s surely other SYNC system but i try SyncGen and Acme4 and i have a perfect sync with those. By the Way your soundcard is also important but with machine at 1500 and computer at 1500 you probably have something nice (RME, Universal Audio, Luxurious Soundcard) provide very Low latency and Jitter free “as they say” and that’s PART of a good SYNC but with Sync Boxes you should find the sweet spot anyway.

The more you put VST effects (in Ableton LIVE), the more machine you have to SYNC, the more SYNC all that is complex

ERM-1 . works for me. tight as f*ck.

1 Like

Price is Nice i’ve just see Shonky explain and showing it so that’s another PRO solution and way more affordable one :wink: Thanks for the name of this SYNC box… but i can’t find a european link with a shop in sale for that …

EDIT : oups thats the price from the single clock the multiclock is slightly cheaper than the syncgen but very close (e-rm multiclock 511 euro)

have you tried using ableton link with an iPhone/iPad and giving midi sync from there? The link to mid app is free, but there are many alternatives in iOS land for sending midi clock from a link enabled app…

^
Thomann have the ERM-1 Multiclock - cost me about £360 GBP 6 months ago…?

+1 E-RM Multiclock. Had so much trouble with Ableton Midi sync. It´s simply bad and dont works. Bought E-RM Multiclock solved everything! MAybe Overbrige will be good in the future, but not good enough now. Multiclock also clocks my Modular (+Rytm).

The Expert Sleepers is another cheaper sample accurate sync box.

http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/usamo.html

1 Like

I have Rytm and Live synced via midi over usb.

Rytm is set as follows:

(in global > midi sync)
clock receive: X
transport receive: X

(in system > usb config)

usb-midi only: X

I play live with this. Overbridge was crashing me out too often, so I bailed
on it for the time being and run two instrument cables from the main outs on Rytm into my audio interface (K-mix)

It works like a charm.

I can still start and stop Rytm on its own if I need to, and it also “listens” to transport controls from Ableton Live/Push

1 Like

Thanks guys for so many answers !

E-RM multiclock seems to be a good option but it’s a bit expensive just to get a good sync between such machines …
@PlumWrinkles I’ve tried the same setup as you explain,with overbridge it works but after two minutes playing it start to desynchronize … it sync again overtime i hit stop and play again … i’ll try without over bridge an tell if it works for me.

Computer > Expensive
Soundcard > Expensive
Monitoring > Expensive
Machine(s) > Expensive
Desk and Acoustic room treatment > Expensive
Cases, bags for transport > Expensive
Cables > Expensive

So Clock > Expensive

There’s no way around if you want THAT, it take TIME

1 Like

Is the E-RM MIDIclock+ doing the same job as the E-RM Multiclock ? but just for one or two device …?
Because it’s way cheaper and i don’t need to sync 4 devices, just my Rytm …

1 Like

Yes you should. Also you can add a MIDI Thru Box to duplicate your sync. SyncBox solution with 3, 4 or more is to get shuffle and shifting between those voice. Also the Syncgen offer Midi and sync for old machine like TR909 etc…

The problem is that our $2k computers don’t prioritize MIDI data like they do audio, or at all really. The MIDI gets put to the end of the queue behind every other command and the result is horrible jitter and crap sync. Fact is Apple thinks it’s more important to check your Facebook and email behind the scenes than sync your MIDI gear. I completely gave up trying to sequence hardware from Live and bought a Yamaha RS7000. It’s good to see there are some options now. I’d love to get back to sequencing everything in Live.

Help!

I have a similar problem but much worse. Using overbridge, i cannot put ableton as a master clock for the midi, meaning, when i press play on ableton, nothin happen on rytm…

Not sure if this is quite the same as the multiclock because it’s not syncing the midi pulse to an audio clock, so a slaved computer is still potentially going to suffer from jitter and lag.

Looks like Expert Sleepers USAMO is the best cheap alternative to the multiclock - the DAW is master and generates an audio pulse, which USAMO converts into midi clock and sends to the midi output.

2 Likes

Did anyone try NI Maschine standalone as clock slave ?

I have used NI Maschine slave with the octatrack , i used the Octatrack to launch the different scenes on maschine and it worked well for me .

Can’t figure out why my Midi controller does not start/stop Rytm, nor can it adjust the tempo. The only way it works is if I use drop Analog Rytm plugin onto a Midi track, but I just want to run Rytm into 1 audio channel.

My goal is just play Rytm into an Audio channel and most importantly control the play/stop and tempo with my Midi Controller. I’ve tried with and without Midi cable, with and without USB cable. Tried USB, and USB + MIDI settings on Rytm.

Any suggestions?

1 Like

@ChicagoAdomas
Does the focusrite have midi out? (Usb will work if it doesn’t)

Go to Rytm -> global -> midi sync -> clock receive and transport receive need to have a ‘:heavy_check_mark:️’ in the box

Ableton -> preferences -> midi set up -> “midi ports” -> output: Elektron analog Rytm -> turn sync ON.

That should do it