Sync Digitone with SQ-1

Hi friends, I’ve got a Korg SQ-1 sequencing my semimodular synth and I’m wondering how to sync my Digitone to the SQ-1’s tempo or vice-versa. Can I do so with just a MIDI chord and CV adapter?

SOLVED: Make sure to use the SQ-1’s included 3.5mm to 5-Pin MIDI Female adapter, others won’t work.

looks like you just need a midi cable and the midi to 1/8" TRS adaptor that comes with the SQ-1. this will sync the DT to the SQ-1. if you want to do the opposite, you need to use a computer and the USB port.

Synchronizing an external device to the SQ-1

You can use MIDI OUT (including USB-MIDI) or SYNC OUT to synchronize a MIDI device, volca, or electribe to the SQ-1. SYNC OUT lets you synchronize the tempo of a monotribe, volca, or electribe. By connecting an external MIDI device to MIDI OUT, you can also control the sequencer’s start/stop as well as tempo synchronization.

source: https://www.korg.com/us/products/dj/sq_1/faq_tips.php

1 Like

The SQ doesnt seem to be receiving the right clock information when i go MIDI out of the DN into the sync IN of SQ… the bpm is ridiculously fast when i hit play

Clock Send box is checked, is there another midi setting i need to mess with on the DN?

You will need to adjust the ‘tempo multiplier’ or some similarly-named parameter on your MIDI-CV convertor.

Edit: or are you using DIN SYNC output from the Digitone? Describe your connections.

The SQ-1 doesn’t have a MIDI input (apart from over USB, but that’s not relevant here). The sync input is for analog clock pulses.

You’ll need to use the SQ-1 as clock source, or use a MIDI to analog clock converter between the Digitone and the SQ-1’s sync in.

edit: oops sorry, re-read your post, I see you already have a converter (right?). The SQ-1 uses a half-speed scheme so as mentioned above, you’ll need to divide it to send 8th notes instead of 16ths. Unless the SQ-1 has a setting for that?

1 Like

read the link I posted. that’s not one of the options (unless you’re going over USB… are you?)

without a computer, just with these two devices, you need to go SQ midi out to DT midi in.

The only connections ive tried are Digitone SYNC A/MIDI Out to SQ1 CV Sync IN, and Sync Out SQ1 to MIDI In of Digitone. The former results in rapid trigger of the SQ1’s current sequence upon pressing play that doesn’t seem to be controllable by changing the DN’s tempo and is not triggered by DN’s play button—only when i press play on the SQ1 —the latter does nothing

Im not currently no. Could i achieve the same thing thru Overbridge or something?

Ok sounds like you don’t have a MIDI to clock converter after all.

MIDI puts out a lot of additional data, as well as a clock signal that is much faster than the analog sync pulses used by the SQ-1 sync in/out. You’ll need something in between to convert, like the Retrokits RK-006 (though that may be overkill for just this use).

Otherwise, going from the SQ-1 MIDI out to the Digitone MIDI in should work if you have clock/transport in enabled on Digitone.

3 Likes

no you need the one with MIDI symbol out, to the SQ-1 MIDI adaptor, to MIDI cable, to DT MIDI in. only option without a computer.

2 Likes

Why not just use DN as the slave? No need for extra boxes that way

Also does not work lol :bowing_man:t2:‍♂

Id be happy to if i could get them to speak to each other at all

you have the DN set to respond to midi clock and transport?

1 Like

Clock Receive is checked in the SYNC menu yes

SOLVED!! Turns out the SQ-1 doesnt like when you use a third-party CV-DIN adapter… swithced it to the one that came with the SQ and we’re live! One day these little machines will be the death of me. Can’t wait

2 Likes

weird. I actually just fished mine out and connected everything up, just to verify this (I mean the manual says it works, and Korg’s usually good about such things…). couldn’t find the SQ1 adaptor so I used the one that came with my M:C. worked fine.

anyway, glad you’re up and running!

Interesting :thinking: must be how the adapter i was using is rated, it came with my Plankton Ants! and worked just fine for directly controlling midi from a keyboard to the system. Oh well, i’m happy now nonetheless. Thanks for your help man!

So, the SQ-1 can only sync other devices via the adapter?

I would love this device if it could take start and stop in via the midi adapter.