[survey] theoretical Digitakt companion app

The Sequentix Cirklon sequencer has “Instrument definitions” in simple JSON files that contain lists of MIDI CC assignments and short labels for their functions. Users just post the files on the Sequentix forum to share with others.

The Sequentix team is re-locating to Berlin this month.

8 Likes

oh that sounds about perfect for this! thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

A separate CTRL all for the midi tracks. That would be hoT if possible.

2 Likes

Well the Rytm can’t sample. So even if the DT had a similar SDS type app with its 8 little buttons, simply dragging a pad from the DT app to SDS, transferred that pads sample to RYTM. Pattern info would be a bonus. Then you head back to the DT, free up that pad, choose a new sample and keep going… Imagine if the DT sample muted at the point it dropped on RYTM and everything kept rolling in Sync? It would be like sample offload to RYTM :slight_smile: I wouldnt mind if it was an unlockable app upgrade, and the default app did something else more useful for straight DT usage (ie stereo, chopping)

edit: This kind of software union between DT and RYTM would be a match made in heaven, it’d really be a one stop shop for sampling and beat making between the two devices I’d really have no need to open Ableton and be my mucking around there. That said DT users may love that ability to offload to the Desktop also, although I imagine Elektron may add that function at some point (although who knows you still can’t back samples up on the Rytm right?)

4 Likes

aye gotcha!

I would probably consider subscription - but only because it’s you.

I would be happier to pay for in-app additions that increase the app functionality.

6 Likes

Control-All that behaves like on the MD.

another vote for sample/project management

normal folder view of samples, projects , sounds.
patterns , settings
remove unused samples , find duplicates.
use mouse to cut/paste them around.
load pattern , grab lfo/delay/reverb settings
abillity to grab a project and share it (patterns, samples etc).
easy rename of patterns.

basically , help with the easy stuff that a big screen and mouse / touch screen can help with.
but i suspect much might be in overbridge .

1 Like

have you got access to these as they seem quite careful who can get on their forum.
i’m not on the waiting list.
i dont have one
but would find these lists very useful

1 Like

I sent you a personal Message; feel free to message me if you have any follow-up questions.

2 Likes

thanks , when i get home i’ll dig through things.

in general i’m hoping they’re a handy reference list to work from instead of digging into manuals/online things myself … anything that helps speed up the monotony of working out cc commands is going to help.

ive been doing work within midi designer 2 , its partly midi cc settings and the ussual stuff , but also finding good values to use within those settings so i can snap to nice values.

e.g. within delay time values , which values from 0 to 127 correspond to 1/2 , 1/4 , 1/8 step values for syncd delays , though that is very specific to what I’m putting together.

1 Like

I doubt whether these files will help you at all in this. All you see is the MIDI CC message number and a six-character label, in an arbitrary order. There is no information about what the values of the messages mean. It will generally be much easier to read the manufacturer’s manual.

1 Like

Make part 1 to 8 to behave as part 9 to 16 : Digitakt to be a 16 tracks midi sequencer !

1 Like

Some ideas :

@AdamJay would be glad to be able to p-lock FX :wink:
I’m all for MIDI CC naming and project mgmt.

But what I found really missing in DT was the recording trig.
I just can’t get a loop starting right where I want and end when I want.
No transition trick !
So if I could use e.g. a MIDI track to place recording trigs (with trig condtions and a length !) that would be neat.

5 Likes

I know that you are Apple only… But I would love to see something like this for us Android guys too.

2 Likes

Really the key thing is… the best workflow I have come up with is to record samples using my audio recording app on my Samsung Android phone. I do my basic recordings on the phone, and then I go through the process of transferring those recordings to my Digitakt.

I grab a 1/8" to 1/4" TRS cable, connect my phone to my Digitakt, and then when the Digitakt is ready to record, I press play on the recording on my Android phone.

The process is a bit annoying… it works!.. but it’s annoying. Because it requires so many extra steps. However, when I do it, it really works great for field recordings. My Samsung Galaxy phone has a really good built-in mic, so the field recordings become instantly usable in a musical context.

Here’s the thought… if I could just transfer the files to the Digitakt’s hard drive, directly, it would save on the trouble of having to do a needless conversion – D/A, then A/D – and it would mean I don’t ever need a cable, except for a USB cable.

Even better would be if this app could do the recording… or if the app could trim the samples to a reasonable degree. Some people said timestretch and all that, which is an awesome thing to imagine… you could even say BPM detection and everything else, sure, but keeping things realistic:

1. You hear a sound you like! You pull out your phone, and open the app.
  2. Hit Record“OK, Done. Normalize? (Y/N)” [Yes]
  3. "Normalizing… OK, Done."
  4. "There are samples ready for upload!"
  5. Plug a USB cable to the Digitakt. "Uploading… ok, done."

It would be great if it was a simple Librarian. That way you could utilize your phone’s storage (which many people have tons of storage these days). If you could audition your normalized recordings before putting them in.

I think the update to SDS Drop adding a Stereo feature was actually really genius. Taking up two tracks with Left / Right content is extremely difficult to do in an intuitive way, and you did that flawlessly.

There’s always a ton that can be done, but the best design is one that still depends on the device to do what it does. And I think the Digitakt is actually an excellent device… it does sample editing pretty damn well. The only issues are the usual Elektron file management issues. Which I doubt Elektron will be making an app for.

I think the Digitakt has so much potential as a Field Recording device when used in conjunction with a good cellular phone or mobile device. There can be a whole subculture of producers going out there with their Samsung Galaxies and iPhones doing awesome field recordings and putting those recordings into their Digitakt with your app.

If you hadn’t planned on doing an Android app, I recommend doing it. Now that the Samsung phones have great mics and are water-proof, people will be doing all kinds of wacky underwater recordings, which would be great for the Digitakt :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m late to this party. Still waiting for my Digitakt which will arrive this week, I hope! Any news on the app front?

A scenes bank (OT kinda scenes), with built-in morpher or fader. 11 scenes per pattern/set with selector mappable to chrom keyboard of the midi tracks we have in the DT itself. Assign to A and B buttons on each extremity notes of the octave ( for the fader ). Midi Assignable fader also. Program Change input capability to swith loads of scenes simultaneously with pattern change.

With all sounds parameters pre mapped to the DT midi ( Don’t have to be visible and tweakable in the app, just somewhere to receive values from DT, store them and send to it in return)

I tried to realise one in Lemur but a complete mess as soon i recall a scene. Too much parameters and conflicts i can’t handle with i guess.

Please

Ps: Sorry i didn’t see that u already agreed with Scenes, hope few ideas in my post can help. Peace

Oh yes, and a +Drive / Ram capacity monitor :slight_smile:

I doubt that I would purchase this app if it was subscription-based. Just the idea of having yet another $$$/month obligation to track and to worry about brings me anxiety.