[survey] theoretical Digitakt companion app

hello,
some of you may know my apps for Rytm: Strom and SDS Drop.

theoretically, what would you people like to see in an app for Digitakt? :slight_smile:

(ignore technical feasibility for now)

I guess another way to ask this question would be: what features are you missing from Digitakt, which you think would be ok to use from an external UI?

or just: I want to do this thing, but canā€™t.

9 Likes

sample upload and then timestretch and chop then download back to digi would be useful (i know not possible yet)

6 Likes

Just getting samples on and off the machine in iOS without having to unplug it, faff about getting the AC adaptor out from my cable spaghetti and taking it through the house to where my family computer lives (and then repeat going the other way) would be a godsend for me.

7 Likes

Randomisation of everything.

Or basically ā€˜Stromā€™ for the DT!

4 Likes

Stereo Sample Drop!

8 Likes

Ability to:
Transfer all projects from DT.
Rearrange order of patterns within projects. Order of tracks within patterns. List of samples per project.
Make these alterations, and transfer back to the DT with the changes made.
Pretty boring but would be amazing.

12 Likes

Itā€™s like Rusty and Void should have a love child or something.

DigiEditDrop

Edit: ok, being serious, Iā€™d love to see something like the Rytm performance and Scene macros on an app that we an control the DT in realtime with.

5 Likes

DT2RYTM :slight_smile:

8 Likes

THIS.
It could be done with a lemur patch really but if it could be editable within the app
I would throw money at it sooo quick

1 Like

Filemanagement and file storage !

exchange projects with DT.
exchange tracks patterns and Tracks within DT.
Exchange and rearrange samples within DT or with App.
mostly: collect all samples from project and save to new folder named as the project is

all this with a good overlookability visual vise if possible.

2 Likes

Yes please!!!

3 Likes

Surprised no one said song mode! Among the other great functions listed here, the addition of a song mode that was basically a Program Change sequencer would really open up the performance. Midi sync would be a MUST so that this app could clock from Digitakt to other apps for backing tracks and other performance apps.

Sample chop and file drop is a biggie thatā€™s already been said. Alsoā€¦ if Elektron isnā€™t going to let you edit names of CCs in MIDI tracks, having a visual on an iPad could be a nice little feature. Maybe even an editor to drop in CC assignments from saved templates for different ā€œpopularā€ synths. For example - the Appā€™s library could let me assign my Moogā€™s cutoff via a dropdown rather than hunting down the correct CCā€™s (lazy example, but you get the idea) ā€¦I know thatā€™d be a lot of programming to give users the options, but with so many great ā€œpopularā€ synths, it would be amazing to have them in drop down format for assigning different knobs and functions.

Nice thread!

8 Likes

yea nameable MIDI presets is a no brainer. Itā€™s gonna have that for sure. Biggest question is how/where to get templates for various synths/assignmentsā€¦ tho could be shareable within the app between users. Like if you make one, you could post it to a public repo for others to use. Iā€™m kinda torn about ā€œcloud supportā€ but could be very useful for stuff like thisā€¦

sample choppage / transfer (ins stereo) - for sure! It could work with the good ol SDS protocol, but also gotta see if the new transfer protocol can be reverse engineered, for speedā€¦ hopefully getting samples from DT will be implemented, this would open up a ton of cool thingsā€¦ get/timestretch/send like @Buska mentioned would be awesome I agree.

library/snapshot/org things >>> yeah

I like the idea of scenes/macros as wellā€¦

@mattleaf @AdamJay DT2RYTM - i.e. copy patterns between the devices?

8 Likes

that would be sick :slight_smile: :+1::+1:

1 Like

I would purchase if available as IOS app. Would cry a little bit if Mac only.

2 Likes

android please [cough cough] :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™m afraid Android is unlikely, from meā€¦ my toolset is 100% Apple stuff.
thinking iOS first, but this time iPhone/iPad universal.

what do people think of subscription pricing, with continuous feature improvements and potentially cloud stuff as part of the deal?

afaik most music apps are still a one-time purchase up front, but tbh this is not very sustainable. Itā€™s just something I keep thinking about - imo would be good, since you could start with an affordable one-month sub for a few bucks, if you like it, stay subscribed, if you decide the app isnā€™t for, not much lostā€¦ it could cover potential cloud features as wellā€¦

3 Likes

song mode / scene macros

basically getting the DT closer to what the OT does.

i was already thinking about going to work on an app like that, but have too many unfinished projects already.

2 Likes
  • File management, exchange of samples, sounds and patterns between the app and digitakt with ability to rename and organise files.
    -Audiobus 3 / AUM / Modstep intergration
    -MIDI sync
    -system information, storage available/used
    -back-up to device
    -renaming, management of sample tags
    -system settings access

Would love to see an iOS app. hope this helps.

1 Like

Most manufacturers list MIDI implementation in an online manual. Thatā€™s a TON or programming for all those options. Maybe a better work around is support for some kind of CSV import for ā€œNameā€ and ā€œCCā€ that the user could upload themselves? For example, I could use excel or numbers and create a CSV (or really whatever format that is easiest to implement for majority users) and make my own ā€œtemplatesā€.

Additionally, I donā€™t know how the ā€œsend data to developersā€ feature works with iOS, but maybe when a user adds such a template, it becomes available for others to download somewhere? Probably outside of the app for import on his or her ownā€¦

Just riffing! Thanks!

1 Like