Super Compact Physical Modeling Modular (w/Octatrack)

Ah perfect! That’s exactly how I planned it! I probably going to create a small case, that can be used for effects and some cool synthesis forms I can’t do with a normal synth. Probably going to buy mutable instruments „Elements“ modul, a resonator, nice filters(maybe a Formant-filter, and lots of LFOs, a mixer and a VCA. Maybe I going to control it with my A4 and record sometimes with my Octatrack.
Again, thanks a lot!

cool. You’ll certainly have fun with it.
just a note: Elements has a resonator built in. But you can never have too many resonators :wink:

If you are cool with little menu diving, I strongly can recommend Pamela’s new workout. Especially for a small case. 8 hp, 8 outputs for lfo’s (and/or gates, envelopes)

1 Like

Thanks, I will check it out. 8 LFO Outputs sounds awesome. Menü Diving isn’t a problem for me. Can’t wait for it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Omg, this is brilliant! So many possibilities, it would be perfect for my case. Thanks a lot!

1 Like

my most used module

Kind of a side question, but has anyone used any of these modeling modules with a Tubbutec Mutune? It’s a pitch quantizer that can load Scala tuning files

https://tubbutec.de/µtune/

Was Googling a bit and apparently Plonk has issues with pitch quantizers like Mutune, unless the user follows specific directions from Intellijel.

it’s now almost 2 years ago, but i’d like to ask if anyone can explain the (dis-)advantages of using the OT’s LFO’s for modular.

i’m planing to build a max. 3U 84HP skiff for morphing-wavetable-synthesis and looking forward to use the FH-2 from EXPERT SLEEPERS along with my OT, and i’d really like to go crazy with the LFO-DESIGNER :slight_smile:

Midi lfos are pretty sufficient imo, it really depends on how fussy you are. I don’t know of anything equivalent to OTs lfo designer honestly. I really neglect the lfo designer, there’s just so much you can do with OT even before that. The amount of LFOs and modulating them with each other, it would be crazy to not use it because there’s “only” 127 values. Some people are purists though

1 Like

that’s my thoughts on this, too, and i think that the pure possibility of complex p-locking and cond.-trigs will already be brilliant hands down :slight_smile:

thx. for the quick and nice respone!!

I’ve been watching dangerous videos of the Intellijel Plonk and Qu-bit Surface.

Got me wondering, are there any modern physical modelling standalone synths?

not really.
Great offers in eurorack, great vsts as well.
But not standalone.
Still hoping for a digitone like box with modal synthesis instead of fm

5 Likes

Not really an ideal solution, but the Microfreak is meant to do a few things with Karplus-Strong synthesis. I don’t know how deep it goes, but they’ve put some Mutable Instruments code in there somewhere. It’s all over the place these days. A free iPhone app, even.

For crude DIY play, there’s fun to be had with delay pedals, and noise bursts put through the OT’s comb filter.

But yes, I guess it would be nice to have a proper little instrument. I guess it’s a market gap?

1 Like

you are right. There the physical modeling modes of plaits in the microfreak. Also available for the minilogue xd‘s and prologues digital oscillator.
These plaits are based on 2 modes of mutable instruments rings, but you have less control over them I believe. They are awesome nonetheless.
I think you can use all the rings modes in organelle as well.
All these kind of algos in an elektron box would be killer

2 Likes

Me too - well more vids of Mutable Rings than Plonk but no less dangerous. I blame Sarah Longfield. Her video demo and walkthrough of her (then) small modular setup featuring Plonk, Mutable Elements, and SubH got me started on (virtual) modular exploration.

Sorry, can’t add to what’s been stated. Nord Modular G2 had some physical modeling modules but it’s been out of production for a long time.

Oh yeah, forgot about Haken Continuum/Continuum Mini and Expressive E Osmose, which is not yet in production but uses the same EaganMatrix multi-engine that includes physical modeling.

1 Like

Korg NTS-1 running a 3rd party physical modeling oscillator might be the most compact hardware physical modeling synth - keeping with the original thread topic. NTS-1 itself is cheap but cost could add up, the more 3rd party content you buy.

https://www.sinevibes.com/korgtube/

https://www.soundmangling.com/2020/05/14/pluck-v2-user-oscillator/

This is not meant to be a comprehensive listing. It’s quite possible I overlooked something from Korg’s page:

Korg’s Kronos line has some physical modeling engines but they’re not as compact and quite a bit more costly. They might have introduced some working person’s, stripped down models that has the modeling stuff but I haven’t kept up closely.

1 Like

A4 external inputs!
I need to try it, direct output of plaits into A4 input without vca in between, like osc source signal. Then elektron seq with CV outs for plaits OSC modulation.

Got a link of that demo by any chance?

Setup starts after the song around 1:15 ish

2 Likes