Suggestions for a Versatile Synth Under $800?

Thinking about getting a deepmind 12. It seems something very versitile when it comes to styles and characteristics.

However, is there any other synths under the price of $800 that also has a lot of character to it.

Looking for hardware suggestions. Not a fan with Synth VSTs. They just don’t feel right to me…

Used A4 mki?

5 Likes

you can buy a used A4 for < 800

4 Likes

JINX (this is a complete sentence)

3 Likes

Not yet.

How is the low end on those things?

Also kinda want more polyphony.

No? I thought I heard they were.

Idk honestly. I assume really good. I’ve never used one. I just see a lot of people I respect speaking highly of them.

Same with the Deep mind though, so…

Anyway you’re going to get a million answers. Best to work out whatd be best for you. So many options.

I may at some point wanna try either the synths that elektron has to offer ( A4 & Digitone). I like the idea of those having a sequencer built in it.

Q1: Analog or Digital?
Q2: IMono or Poly?

If it’s Analog Mono:
The new Dreadbox Erebus 3 if you’re willing to wait a month or so, is likely to be the definition of character.
Price is €499 or so.

1 Like

Dreadbox (lil) Erebus is a must have. Gonna be for my eurorack im starting to build soon.

But I am lookin for an analog polysynth, or at least those digital analog ones. Can be vintage or new on the market. Anything ballpark $800.

1 Like

Obvious, and you’ve probably already considered the Korg Minilogue. At $500 it’s a good deal if you adapt to the keyboard. Has both character and versatility.

1 Like

have it

Just a little out of the price range, but similar price to the Deepmind 12 is the Studiologic Sledge.
Digital Analog. It’s also doubles as a cool multifunction controller.

Or further outside the price range the Dave Smith Mopho X4 keyboard at $1000.

Digitone for FM, or maybe Waldorf Blofeld for really versatile and weirdo sounds…

I know most suggestions are probably going to push right up to your $800 limit, but I gotta throw in the Audiothingies Micromonsta at $350. Very easy to program, has some cool features of its own (for example: chord feature, highly programmable arp with randomization, user wavetable capability). Sounds great to me, I’m happy with it. It has 8 voice polyphony, not sure if that’s enough for you or not. You can also two still under your price range and they have a “link” feature to get 16 polyphony I think.

Only downside for me is no onboard note input so you have to use an external MIDI keyboard or sequencer of some kind. Also it’s monotimbral so no layering or splitting.

You should be able to get an original Virus TI for that price(desktop).

1 Like

Pick up a DSI Evolver and Kurzweil K2000 and you should have a couple hundred left over to update/mod the Kurz.

Man, so many really cool synths for under 800…

Arturia Microbrute, Minibrute, Minibrute 2(2s
Korg Microkorg, Microkorg S,Monologue, Minilogue, Volca FM, Volca Keys, Arp Odyssey
Novation Circuit Monostation, Bass Station 2, Ultranova, Mininova
Waldorf Blofeld, Blofeld Keyboards (Sledge is derived from the Blofeld)
Clavia NordLead 2r,A1r
DSI Mopho, Tetra, Evolver
Elektron Digitone, A4 Mk1, Monomachine
Roland SH01a, JU06, D05, JDXi

My favourite of all those…Elektron Digitone…

2 Likes

Get a Deluge. You will not be disappointed. This machine is a revelation.

Analog and polyphon has never been cheap and the price depends on the polyphony. Each voice costs.

It’s also important to know, what the synth shall be used for. Shall it be a pad-machine or is a very flexible synth engine required, to use it many ways, from deep bass to soaring leads?

As a rule of thumb, the more flexible the engine of a polysynth is, the higher the price will be. Just check out the Modal 008 or the Schmidt as two examples.

If you want to create thick-classic-creamy pads, I would recommend to get at least 8 voices.

If you are content with the sound engine of the DM12, why not get it? A Prophet 8 could also be an alternative. Second hand prices should drop, because of the REV 2.

A most underated little box would be the VA-synth Blofeld by Waldorf. It would also give you wavetables, FM, and loads of modulation options for much less than $800. The Blofeld is very versatile and creates IMHO very good sound too.

2 Likes

It’s not just about getting a synth. You are going to want to make beats. If you want polyphony and a sequencer, you should strongly consider a Digitone or Digitakt.