Subsequent 37 or Pro 3

Pro3 and a Boog?

1 Like

The more I listen the more I incline to PRo3… having the feel that is more flexible(at about same price range)…some say even that the subbass is better on it even though Sub37 has a really great tone.

I must say that I really don’t like the way they made the knobs…so toyish and not crazy about its design, Sub 37 looking and feeling better in this area… and the upgrade version of Pro 3 even though looks better…it feels sooo overpriced.

Now of course, for a mono a feel they both are overpriced…

Even though I am saying to myself that I have Minitaur, Model D and Evolver and don’t need the Sub 37 or Pro 3 and that I better get another synth like the Monopoly… still I keep thinking about these 2 synths… go figure.

Really don’t know what to do… :frowning:

Also this… shows me that a lot of the main sound that Sub 37 is liked for is mainly the overdriven side… not being as flexible for many different sounds…like being better than most other synths using the same sound design…:

…now I saw the it’s not the Subsequent 37 but the Sub 37 with I am no great fan.

Sorry for the long post and rant…

I have the p12 module and the Sub 37, they are very different, with p12 i can make very nice pads - evolving and clean sounding. Its nowhere near the Sub37 which is far better for lead sounds and bass tone. In my opinion get both. I would have preferd the peak in favour to the p12 module because it has more knobs. The Keyboard version is better in this aspect.

The good thing is that the p12 isnt that widley used so you can sound more distinctive from other people. At the end its the sound design capability of each person. Prophet has a matrix for assigning modulation source and target, also one source multiple targets. 4 LFO 4 Evelopes etc 16 slot matrix. I ghink that is true for the p2 also, and it has the sequencer as mod source.
Also the high pass filter is cool to set the range, you can create production ready sounds with it, where you dont need to eq.

I have choosen both carefully for their strength, so i would analyze where is the point in your process wher you have to make the most compromise. For me it was atmosphere so i got the p12.

2 Likes

I own one, and that’s not my impression at all. They look and feel very solid in person. I agree that the Pro 3 has a much more “modern” look than the Sub 37, but it doesn’t look or feel cheap at all.

3 Likes

That’s a good point. The pro3 is an absolute please to play and to program. Considering the complexity of the synth it’s amazing how fast and easy it is to either dial in the sound in your head or to stumble onto unique (and usable) sounds you wouldn’t have thought of. Likewise the sequencer is deep and comprehensive while remaining fast and easy. The synth as a whole has a lot of flexibility to the point where you can make your own workflow that works for you. Not saying that the others mentioned don’t necessarily have these qualities, just that the pro3 does.
@shinobi I fully agree with all who have said that it looks better in person. Obviously aesthetics are a matter of taste but it doesn’t look cheap or toy like in the flesh (I have the standard model). Everything feels super solid as well. If the look of the knobs is the main offender you can always swap them out with something more to your liking. It has the dave smith look for sure though and the sub37 has the moog look, neither is better than the other but they’re very different. Same can be said for their sounds.

1 Like

When I hear a demo like this and I look at the price tag…

…then I understand people liking more the PRo3… and this after I made my mind that the Subsequent 37 has better main sound. Not sure anymore I want to spend that money on the Moog… :thinking:

1 Like

Stop watching synth videos.
Make music.

11 Likes

or make music AND have a fun hypothetical discussion.

6 Likes

I’ve had the Subsequent37 since release (one faulty return then one that worked). I used it a lot for half a year, then moved it aside. If you’re going for a moderately to heavily modulated sound, it’s fine, but simpler raw sounds (which I wanted) always sounded too buzzy to me, and I always had to use a chorus or reverb. And the square sub Osc is best used at an almost sub audible level. It’s no model D or Minitaur, both of which I had too.
I’ve tried the Pro3 many times and think it can have a much more forgiving sound if you want, and definitely is a much more useable Bass synth. However, I have three other DSI/Seqential synths. So as much as I liked it, even lusted for it, I just didn’t need another synth and forgot about it.
I guess I’m saying, I regret buying the Subsequent37 and I’m happy I didn’t buy the Pro3.

2 Likes

Pro 3 all the way. Dave Smith is a master with implementing sequencers. His mod matrix system is so so so good

2 Likes

I played with the 37 and the Pro 3. I enjoyed playing the Pro 3 much more. But that’s to my tastes. I was able to stand at the Pro 3 and make it do what I wanted. The 37 just didn’t quite match the way I think. Like some above said, if you want that Moog sound, the 37 is your choice. In the end, I couldn’t justify $2k CAD on a monosynth. But that Pro 3 sequencer and mod matrix…

1 Like

Pro 3.

1 Like

Are the Pro3 envelops as clicky as on the P6? For most users it´s the problem when try to use P6 for bass sounds. And how are the envelops on the Sub37?

And would a Sub25 soundwise be the same as the 37? Just without that many modulation options?

sub25 is same as 37, less modulation, no sequencer, no arp

Clicky is good - it means they’re fast. If you want less clicky, just turn up the attack a wee bit. This is true on all envelopes that are fast enough to click. Envelopes that don’t click are just slower and less flexible, that’s the only difference. Clicky envelopes are a benefit for synths you want to do any percussive work on. You may also be confusing envelope click with oscillator reset - oscillators that are free-running can, with fast envelopes, have the VCA cut in when the oscillator is not at a zero crossing - this results in a sharp click that has nothing to do with the envelope per se. For bass sounds in particular this is an issue, and the way to solve that is to use oscillator reset on key trigger/gate.

Neither of these conditions is a defect or issue in the synth design - and I consider them a pro, not a con, since they can be easily dialled OUT but you cannot take a sluggish envelope and make it faster. Now, if the synth doesn’t have osc reset on key trigger… then you have to go for slower attack to smooth that transient, and you’re basically no worse than a vintage synth, but you don’t get the modern punchy bass attack. So that’s something to look for.

9 Likes

This really needs to be explained whenever possible in as many places as possible. :wink:

Cutting off a free running oscillator aside…

I wonder what happens when I go from 0V to +5V (for example) in a millisecond (or less is some cases)?

Oh yeah, a click :smiley:

Might need to bump up that attack a bit.

1 Like

Bringing this one back to life for more opinions. I will probably have to buy both but one at a time… leaning pro 3. Then selling Sirin and getting 37. Thoughts?

1 Like

I went with pro 3 and an ajh ring sm for subass…never did get a direct comparison. Can’t complain with the pro 3.

I ended up Subs 37. I preferred every demo even if they’re more basic. I guess if it’s going to be saturated in effects or one of many complex parts, the Pro 3 makes sense. But if you’re thinking like a Pink Floyd solo, I’d pick the Subs 37.

Love my Pro 3. Still kinda also want a Moog. Not sorry about my decision, though–I end up using the Pro 3 more than any other synth.

2 Likes