Subsequent 37 or Pro 3

I’ve heard that owning neither unlocks zero realms. But I don’t know much about that.

3 Likes

Some kind of void, perhaps. Might be healthy in its own right. But quite dull, I’m sure.

1 Like

Maybe I should dust off me Tempest, try that as a poly for awhile.

2 Likes

Great idea.

So, in conclusion, we should all just use what we already have a bit more fully. Be it an evolver, a tempest, or a volca.

Because the grass will always appear greener on the other side of the fence.

16 Likes

Uggghhh…

I’ll buy all three then :grin:

4 Likes

Especially when we’re just talking shades of green.

2 Likes

green denoting envy or expense?

1 Like

Yes

1 Like

I have an evolver (desktop) and it’s one of my favorite synths of all time. There is truly something special about it that nothing else seems to have.
I recently got a pro3. It’s a fantastic synth. I know I’m still in the honeymoon phase but I think I’m in love. Haha. Since picking it up I’ve been selling off most of my monosynths. I’ll never sell the evolver though.
The pro2 is also an amazing synth. I have been lusting after a 2 and a 3 for a while and I just happened across a deal on the 3 that was too good to pass up.
All three of these synths are brilliant in very different ways, so different that they can’t be compared very directly. None are really successors of the others. They each have their own specialties and don’t overlap much. Unless you have specific needs you can’t go wrong with any of them.

4 Likes

I was debating this exact question a couple of weeks ago. In the end, I went with the Pro 3, and I’m not sorry I did at all. That said, the Sub 37 is also a great synth, so I don’t think you can go wrong here. After listening to a lot of demos and reading a lot of reviews and discussions, I concluded that the Pro 3 just does a lot more than the Sub 37.

But if you want a Moog, get a Moog, because there’s no substitute. The ladder filter on the Pro 3 is ‘Moog-ish,’ which is good enough for me, but may not be for you. The Pro 3 is a beast with plenty of mod options and great sounding oscillators and filters. It also has a very deep sequencer. I already have a couple of excellent polys so I don’t care much about the paraphony differences, although it’s worth pointing out that a firmware update brought better implementation of duophony to the Pro 3.

1 Like

I’d also add that while the Sub 37 has a classier look, I was pleasantly surprised with how solid the standard Pro 3 looks and feels, despite being mostly plastic. I didn’t think upgrading to the SE version with wood trim was necessary given the price difference. But the Sub 37 definitely looks better, IMO.

3 Likes

Good topic! I’m currently considering trading my sub37 tribute for a Pro 2.

2 Likes

I don t care about Moog sound per se. I just want a good synthesizer, melodic and flexible.
For example I had Prophet 12 and no way to gel with it, but I love Evolver and my Model D too.

I just think the build quality for a long lasting keyboard is also good on the Subsequent 37 and I feel is quite flexible. Pro 3 I didn t find any demos online to like…so I don’t know…(I know the specs are better on the Pro 3…but so was on the Prophet 12 and didn t like it) So in the end I just care about great usable sound…not specs.

1 Like

Then learn to get great sounds from what ever gear you have.

Buying more stuff wont address that.

5 Likes

Ignore him.

Buy both.

Then sell them and buy a Digitone.

6 Likes

Trust me - it sounds awesome in person.

I’m thinking of selling my Virus Ti to pay for a Pro2 or Pro3 too… great thread.

Haven’t owned either, but I’ve watched every demo there is on both and I always end up preferring the Subs37

1 Like