Stylish modern design home studio/music room pics?

Those are really nice, the construction here does not allow windows like that, in our case it is a more classic windows style like this:

But first things first, let’s get a floor in there … :wink:

2 Likes

Thats exactly what I just did :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Totally OT…but forgive me…is that electrical or some other form of in floor heating like geothermal or solar?

What kind of floor did you go for? We spent ages thinking about that, particularly because of our dogs.

Hydronic - hot (and sometimes cold for cooling) water pipes in the slab.

1 Like

Nice. What heats the water?

Analog synths, because they sound warmer.

Well, that or gas usually.

3 Likes

Hehe…I was about to say that I thought again and it’s not really off topic as heating/cooling methods can profoundly affect design principle, but you’re even more on topic!

No problem!

But trying to steer this back on topic…I’m really interesting in the original question too.

We have a very small inner city house, and kids, so dedicated studio space at home is a huge luxury.

I’ll post a photo of my setup later, but it’s very easy for it to get out of control, and so I think about the gear I use very very carefully. I have a few pieces that I rotate in and out to help manage that.

The one big problem is monitors. Right now I practice on headphones then monitor in other places to fine tune. Not ideal.

3 Likes

Yes, not much time at the moment, working for the new floor.

Nice thread,

I’m currently battling a similar scenario. Where the lounge room is the main space, but the studio desk lives in the bedroom. Space is limited but I kinda wanna bring the studio into the living space, to give it focus and also move away from the traditional TV type living room. Maybe this particular pad just isn’t the right place for it, but I’m itching to try some things. I think I just need a bigger more open plan place.

2 Likes

(Medium) Dark oak floor.

1 Like

First pic is brazilian architect Paulo Mendes Da Rocha - Concrete House …

2 Likes

I love this idea. If you live with someone that isn’t into gear per se, then it really helps if you can create a space that everyone can enjoy - which is basically what I’m working towards. I like the idea of living with the things you love rather than sticking them away somewhere, so that you can make them a core part of your everyday life.

One of my plans now that I have my new 32-track recorder is to try to always have a project on the go, and work on things a little bit each day like people used to do jigsaw puzzles back in the day. If I could spend 30 minutes doing that in the evening it would be so much more rewarding than watching something on TV or screwing around on the internet.

I also like the idea of having a space for listening to music. As I mentioned, I just scored some great monitors for cheap this past weekend, and the last few days I have been just sitting and listening to tunes in the evening. Oh man, such a great way to unplug and unwind.

The one with the stereo and the chair? That’s a great space.

stereo + chair :slight_smile:
Your loft is gorgeous!

Ive been thinking of a stylish way to acoustic treat my room… but its challenging - even for me, as an arhcitect…

1 Like

Thanks! Wow, that means a lot coming from an architect. I really appreciate it.

For me, one of my big concerns being in Tokyo was just being able to make noise without pissing off neighbors. We are on the top floor of a low rise building and I don’t share any walls with anyone except the person below me (a single university professor that is very cool). The walls are thick concrete and the windows are double-pane so it’s quite soundproof. Our floor is also up on risers, so it doesn’t actually touch the concrete between us and the downstairs neighbor.

All is good there and the combination of cork, odd-shaped rooms and the open floor plan makes for some decent acoustics. I’m no expert, but I’m not hearing any super boomy bass or weird echos or anything, and it’s surprising how loud I can turn up my tube amp before it starts sounding really loud.

You don’t, just for exposing a fetishized hobby :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The link did not work out that well, was pointing to the full list of ideas on the pintrest page.

Not sure if any help, but here is our space, which is half music studio, half study. Half the battle is cable management.

3 Likes

Funny thing is I really like having the TV in my space too. I don’t really watch TV on it, just put on vids of people playing tunes, or nice mixes on YouTube. I follow a couple of channels that have like, really nice nature pictures and great dnb or techno mix, maybe ambient. Or sometimes I’ll find some nice visuals and put tunes on a different input in my amp by chromecast or something. I really feel a home TV doesn’t have to strictly be a Tele anymore, it’s this nice internet age where it’s almost like back to the cable generation, people in their basement doing their own thing - which in our case is broadcasting their music. But then I guess I’m being passive potentially. The thing about listening to music is, you can’t really make your own music while listening to music at the same time. (Well u can but it’s annoying - to me anyway). But u can do a whole bunch of other activities, like read or write or whatever. Anyway I’m getting off the beaten track but yeah point I’m trying to find a balance between the two. I haven’t quite hit it yet because it means destroying my entire setup and having to rebuild it. But I think its coming hehe

2 Likes