Stylish modern design home studio/music room pics?

I think this is extremely important to consider. Poor cable routing or lack of capacity to route cable in consideration of design principle will bugger up the aesthetic of said design pretty quickly. :smile:

2 Likes

My wife always stresses the ease of keeping stuff clean (avoiding huge buildups of dust, etc), so keeping cables off the floor is a must

2 Likes

I think your space is absolutely beautiful and I think I have a few things you could try for this space. The desk may feel more inviting in front of that window and the guitars can be more a part of the decor (but still ready to go) by mounting them on wall with wall mounts. Bringing a plant and an end table on either side of the couch might not be a bad idea. The end table could hold a lamp and say a PO33 or DT or whatever you like. You have an advantage with a light studio set up in that you wonā€™t need to deal with very many cables. I canā€™t tell is the floor is carpeted but of not s nice rug and coffee table will do wonders. I like thelook of it though I think the trick is mostly how you arrange what you have and then maybe buy a thing or two, maybe you kinda already knew all this but itā€™s just what I first though while looking at your photos.

2 Likes

Also with that open space itā€™s probably important to keep the space clutter free for aesthetic considerations? Cabling definitely a location for dust or mould accumulation (depending on oneā€™s climate).

How is all that open concrete accoustically?

@Yohon

Thanks so much for the thoughtful suggestions and kind comments.

Plants are definitely something I want in there, and we have been talking about wall mounts for guitars or adjustable shelves for other gear. Great suggestion about the end table too.

I would love a carpet, but with two dogs, itā€™s sort of impossible as one of them loves to pee on carpets, lol. The floor is cork, which make it actually great for both dogs that are prone to leg breaks, and for absorbing sound.

One of my problems is that since those pictures were taken I added a large multitrack and got some proper monitors, so I no longer have room on my desk for everything (see attached).

Iā€™m considering putting the multitrack on a cart with wheels so that I can move it around as necessary and normally keeping it in an L-shaped layout with the mixer back on the desk. I like modular design, meaning that stuff can be shifted around as things evolve.

One other thing my wife has suggested is moving that little sofa somewhere else and having a long desk all along that wall, almost in sort of a workbench style to have lots of room to spread out.

I also need to get the monitors up on stands, either on the desk or freestanding.

Like you said though, itā€™s more about getting a few bits of well-thought out furniture/fixtures than anything else.

2 Likes

Surprisingly not an issue. We built a ceiling in that room, the floors are cork, and it opens up into the apartment, so that helps with reflections. The room is also shaped a bit weird, which actually seems to help. Itā€™s not boomy at all, thankfully.

1 Like

More dog photos please!

Itā€™s difficult to say without being there, as I think the exposed cement makes it look bigger than it is, but I second your wifeā€™s suggestions. In fact with a long low desk on that wall (wood, i think, would look great against the wall) you could put the sofa under the window and rearrange amps etc around the desk space of to either side of the sofa?

2 Likes

Surprising indeed, as my initial thought was ā€œgreat space for IR impulse recordingsā€. It looks complicated and boomy with all those anglesā€¦but then cork is, as you say, great for softening accoustically busy spaces.

Funny you should mention that because Iā€™ve been thinking the same thing. The rest of our place is open with exposed concrete ceilings, so I have been thinking about getting an LDC mic with omni and Figure 8 settings to experiments with miking walls and such in hopes of getting some cool room reverb sounds.

1 Like

Incredible space!
I guess you already though about it, but it seems like a nice space to play with light. Having an alternative lighting for composing /listening to music could be very very nice in a space like that, given that the room already has a sci-fi feeling.

2 Likes

Thanks!

Absolutely. I got all my lights on dimmers and have some rail/spotlighting. I knew I wanted to be able to get a nice atmospheric vibe at night.

1 Like

Funny someone mentioned a sci fi vibe, since my dogs are named Rocket and Comet.

7 Likes

Sorry way off topic now. Lol.

1 Like

I like the idea of having small coffee table workstations. In combination with a more office like computer based space.

Our living space will be mainly windows on all sides -1. This is not a bad thing at all but limits classic against the wall system shelving.

1 Like

the very cool Wallpaper* Magazine would be very interested in doing a feature article on the OPā€™s photographs!

1 Like

Mine? Send me a message.

Awesome! Is it like one of the old Eichler homes? I love those. I was really inspired by the Case Study Houses when we were designing our place.

2 Likes

oh! in fact if i worked for a magazine, Wallpaper* would be top of the list as a desirable place to ply the trade of wordsmith activity.

it was merely a guess on my behalf, but really itā€™s totally urban-cool without being self-consciously trendy in any way.

simple functionality and intuitively aesthetic arrangementsā€¦ maybe email them a photo or two and see what they say?

2 Likes

Haha. Cheers man. Perhaps after I sort out this room. :wink:

1 Like