Studio One 5

Studio One 5.5 released.

1 Like

Have it installed. Its stable. And the project page features are nice to have

2 Likes

Yes more stable for me as well, really happy about that! Just Melodyne ARA integration still doesnā€˜t work for me in native mode, only running in Rosetta (I have Melodyne 5 Editor and it tells me no version installed). Do you happen to run into this problem as well or is it all smooth sailing for you?

PS: Studio One 5 is so great for composing, mixing and even mastering, real happy that Iā€˜m not the only one on here that appreciates it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

as I hardly use melodyne, I havent run into that issue yet. but at the moment I use rosetta mostly anyway, as some plugins I want to use still dont run natively yet. so far its smooth sailing. cant wait to see how native mode works then when all plugin are ported. I try to start in native mode for projects, then switch to rosetta when needed.

yeah, S1 is great. I produce techno / house (more house than techno), and Im really productive in S1. I really like how you can either ā€œmasterā€ in the song itself or create a project where the song is rendered to where you have all fresh ressources to master. I like the concept.

1 Like

S1 user here as well :). Havenā€™t installed the update yet but usually Iā€™ve had no real issues with Melodyne - just Command + M and then Iā€™m into the editor. Itā€™s not that youā€™re having issues with, right?

// OTOH, using Melodyne is convincing me more and more each day that itā€™s playing a major part in destroying the magic in music (just as the non-use of ambience/rooms in a lot of modern music) //

2 Likes

Iā€™m somebody who did a lot of DAW hopping over the years. I mostly bounced between Ableton Live and Cubase (capture ideas and finish respectively).

I was given a NFR copy of Presonus Studio One a few years back from a rep at a trade show I was working at.

I wanted to give it a go again last year so I upgraded my old copy to 5.

I was happily surprised by some of the features and how well things were thought out.
Itā€™s really grown into something special now.

The Softube Console 1 integration is the best Iā€™ve seen. Presonus always seems to be the first to jump on new features (like colored tracks reflected on the fader unit).

ARA integration is awesome as well.
I like how you can use melodyne to quickly extract notes from an audio recording as MIDI.
If I record an analog synth but want to add a filter+envelope (Volcano 3 or other filter) itā€™s super easy to make that happen.

Everything seems like itā€™s thorough without feeling like tacked on bloat.

Point being, Iā€™m going to fully switch to S1 for a while as a replacement for Cubase (and maybe even Ableton Live). I probably wouldnā€™t have done this before version 5 honestly.

Edit:

As far as Melodyne destroying music; it depends on how you use it.

If you just correct and perfect errors, then yes.

I use it more creatively. To make parts that didnā€™t exist. Add harmonies that didnā€™t exist, or extract information to create cohesive parts related to each other. Sometimes to correct a bad error without having to re-record.

As long as youā€™re aware that a little imperfection is a good thing, youā€™ll be fine :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fully agree with this, buddy :blush:

And also about the Melodyne thingie (issue is, IMO, that almost every commercial release doesnā€™t consider that thing about the little imperfections being a good thing)

1 Like

Opportunity to stand out from the crowd is what I see :wink:

1 Like

Hereā€™s a thing I figured out how to do last night.

Recorded myself strumming my guitar into studio one.
Then opened the track with melodyne. Then created a tempo track from the recording. Dragged that tempo track into the tempo track in studio one.

Now studio ones ā€œmaster clockā€ is my performance, and I can program midi which will play in time with that recording. Pretty sweet.

There are a few settings you have to implement to do this, but when you know them, I would say itā€™s a one minute process.

I can write down the process when Iā€™m in front of a computer, in case anyone finds this intriguing

1 Like

Thanks for sharing! Studio One is so great, it does so much - often in a slightly weird way lol - but I feel once I understand how it wants me to work itā€˜s the DAW I am fastest and most creative in.

1 Like