Strymon Iridium

Yeah something new by Strymon again! Haha, I’m almost surprised that they haven’t done yet another tape delay.

6 Likes

Yeh it was leaked a few days ago that it’s an IR/modeling box.
Anyways, good for guitarists, but not Bass or synth players. Unless they have future major OS swap options for those.
Imagine, an Abbey Road control room emulator with Chord amps an B&W 800 series :drooling_face:

2 Likes

Hrmmmm, I’m still looking into the NeuralDSP line but this tempts.

Interesting! I’d imagine they’re going to sell a boatload for all di and mobile guitar rig folks.

I wonder how it sounds with synths. Might be a really sweet little mojo box at the end of the signal chain. It could impart too much guitar amp character for that, but nonetheless I’m intrigued…

1 Like

You can disable the amp and cab sections separately so that should help using it with synths where you don’t want to color to signal too much.

I’m very likely going to get one at some point to use with guitars, will definitely also try with synths.

1 Like

Using impulse responses for synths seems cool to have in pedal format, apparently you can even load custom ones! All of the overdrive controls might be a bit tailored to guitar though, I suppose.

Imagine if you could import Kemper models :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Actually this might be a really nice way to plug a guitar into a sampler. I checked and it does instrument level and line level out like most of their pedals. This means I could plug my guitar right into my Octa, no di, preamps needed. So far I haven’t found a good solution for this, right now I’m using my audio interface di and then routing my line outs to the Octa. Needs a computer which I don’t always like, with this it would be so simple, just not 100% sold on the sound yet.

5 Likes

Actually now I’m not so sure. I can’t tell what kind of outputs it has. It’s not meant to be plugged into an amp so I’m not sure why it would be instrument level out.

Hopefully you can use instrument level in and line level out. If so you could have a really nice guitar sound with stereo reverb/ambience to record in to the Octa/digitakt, plus you could use any pedal before it, mono or stereo. Might be pretty impressive but I’ll wait until I know more about it.

You can switch the inputs from instrument level to line, according to the manual. The usage scenarios (“no preamp needed”) strongly suggest line level output in any case, I’d say.

2 Likes

Check this out, some synth, sample and drum machine examples. Sounds pretty cool and that reverb is super nice. Getting pretty excited about this actually

3 Likes

Looks like it could be a pretty neat solution for re-amping synths, depending on the sound of the thing.

1 Like

So I asked on a YouTube demo and strymon said you can change the outputs to line level with a secondary function. Seems pretty useful for quick and easy guitar sampling and it sounds pretty nice too the more I’m hearing.

4 Likes

Oh this might be my next purchase instead of yet another synth :slight_smile:
I always use a computer for amp sim in between to sample in the OT.
Also for rehearsing at home this would be great.
I know amp sim pedals exist for a long time, but Strymon usually always sounds great

3 Likes

Synths recorded through amps can sound great. This might be cool for synths.

Cool stuff. I’m actually tired of my amp and it’s a pain to record anyway… This has packed everything I need: thx Strymon!

2 Likes

same. never should have bought this damn heavy ac30

2 Likes

Haha the ac30 is awesome for shows but for playing at home it’s too much and it’s heavy as hell, awful to move around. Really looking forward to trying this pedal out if the sounds right it’s a no brainer for interfacing with samplers. Also would be cool to put it in the cue out on the ot and use it to “reamp” live or even just to resample. Could even keep it on the cues and just plug a guitar in then you can record guitar direct, plug a cable in and change the inputs from Hiz to line level and your back to a normal effects loop on the cues.

1 Like

I really like it that Strymon makes it easily compatible with stereo in. And it’s small. Got to think about something to sell and make room!

4 Likes

I didn’t even realize it had Stereo TRS in! That’s awesome…

Should be here tomorrow :upside_down_face:

1 Like