Strymon Iridium

Got this yesterday and I’m really impressed by it! In addition to playing my guitar and handpans through it I’m thinking about uploading some more experimental IR’s to use with synths. For example playing the DFAM through upright bass or piano body response would be cool!

Anyone know where to find good acoustic instrument IR’s?

3 Likes

Just got mine this week as well. It’s pretty amazing. I’ve been recording demos straight to my MPC One and can’t believe how much better it sounds vs amp sims in software. I also find it more fun. I just wish the MPC was a proper multitrack recorder :slight_smile:

3 Likes

First thing I wanted to try was to create an impulse response for my handpans. They have a built in mic which is alright but not great. So I recorded a small sample simultaneously with the pickup and a Rode NT1 condenser, used Ozone Match EQ to tweak the pickup sound towards acoustic recording, then applied the EQ settings to a flat impulse response file and uploaded the modified IR file to Iridium. Now the built-in pickup sounds almost like an acoustic handpan! The Round amp sim worked best with the signal as it seems the cleanest of the three amp simulations.

Today I’ve been playing with the Octatrack, live looping my guitar straight from Iridium.

What a wonderful little box this is!

7 Likes

It’s just a great pedal. Can’t wait to use it at open mics!

This is such a great tip! I would never thought of doing that, but now it seems so obvious. Cool!

1 Like

Walrus Audio just announced the release of a similar pedal - the ACS1. It will be interesting to see how/if it stacks up to the Iridium.

1 Like

Yes, the acs1 midi implementation looks pretty extensive, and ability to easily switch to different IRs for each side is more flexible than the iridium (where it needs to be done via the app).

The iridium uses 512ms 96khz 24 bit IRs, which, on paper at least, makes it superior to the acs1 in that regard. Its gonna depend what it sounds like though, right?

2 Likes

Who’s tried this thing on synths? Even soft synths, Rhodes, Whirli’s, etc…?

I’m wondering about the range - guitars are thin compared to keys, and also my use case - saxophone. I really want to have something shaping the end of my signal chain. I’ve been going direct on my pedalboard for over a decade, mostly great. But there are more than enough times I want something extra…

Edit: I’m debating the Iridium or the Simplifier. Stereo is not a concern. Nor is a built-in DI.

Used it recently on a synth lead (video not posted yet). Made it sound like an electric guitar, which is what I was going for.

1 Like

I run my Rhodes MK1 Stage through my Iridium all the time. It sounds great, which I guess is to be expected as the Rhodes pickups aren’t that different from guitar pickups. It’s a nice way to add some serious grit.

2 Likes

Very cool. Are you able to keep enough of the low end of the left hand on the Rhodes, if needed?