Strategies for Randomness on Elektron Sequencer

I’m considering getting my first Elektron box, a Syntakt, and wondering if folks have strategies for adding randomness to sequences… quickly, and on the fly.

Currently I’m using a Beat Step Pro and it has a simple, yet fairly effective way to add randomness to the sequence: two knobs, one for randomness intensity, and one for probability of the randomness to occur. These effect the entire track, not individual steps, which in some ways is limiting, but it also means you can very quickly add a varying degrees of randomness to the track.

I’ve read the Syntakt manual and think I have a decent grasp on Trig Conditions & Conditional Locks. Specifically the X% lock looks like it could do what the BSP does. But from my understanding these Conditional Locks are always adjusted on each individual step? Is there any way to effect the entire track? Or even better: a way to effect all the steps simultaneously for which the X% has been enabled? Then I could simply turn up this percentage globally, not mess with steps I don’t want to randomize… and maybe each step could have offsets. Whoops I didn’t meant to turn this into a feature request…

I guess I’m wondering how folks quickly add randomness to their sequences while improvising live, while also being able to remove that randomness just as quickly.

Thanks!

I don’t have a Syntakt, but I have other Elektron boxes, and I think they behave similarly. On the Trig page, there is a probability setting for the whole track (10.2.4 in the Syntakt manual). Individual conditional locks override this, it is not cumulative.

3 Likes

Nice! Thank you.

3 Likes

You can also use a random LFO to modify your sequence.

1 Like

Which destination would you set it to to do that?

You can also randomise the parameter pages. Might be too drastic for performing but will lead to happy accidents when shaping sounds.

1 Like

Use probability trigs, trig locks, both LFOs on settings together with odd track length for each track to achieve randomness mayhem.

1 Like