Stone cold classic gear

It’s expensive and rather hipster, but I adored my old Leica Q when I had it. Dead simple, ergonomic, and it had some really nifty features such as twisting the barrel to change to macro mode. Really lovely gear. I had to sell it to make ends meet a couple of years ago tho 🥲

8 Likes

For me it’s the Elysia Mpressor. Probably the closest thing to a perfect piece of gear I’ve ever owned.

2 Likes

My pen and notebook.

4 Likes

Eunos Roadster (Mk1 MX-5) - Should never have sold it, great car. I always loved how many total strangers would openly call me a wanker for driving one.

On-One Inbred - Absolute classic UK mountain bike for people that aren’t dentists, but might well end up needing one.

Dickies Redhawk Work Shorts - Literally the only thing I’ve worn over my undercrackers for the last decade or so. Admittedly, I look like Papa Roach on his holidays, but I’m too old to give a shit about what I look like.

Quadraverb - So good no-one’s dared try and clone it for over 30 years, which in this industry is quite something.

Polivoks - Because fuck you if you don’t like it.

19 Likes

My Star Wars action figures and all the rest. I always wanted the Millenium Falcon but it was too expensive for my parents to afford.

4 Likes

Unbeatable, reliable, flexible, solid.

Built like a tank, sounds great, getting expensive now, but probably for a number of reasons one of the best stereo cassette decks worth having these days.

Always wanted one of these since starting out, never was able to afford one until a few years back, sold some other gear to get it, but don’t regret it for a second. Amazing sound and stability, they really don’t make ‘em like they used to.

23 Likes

Ensoniq EPS 16+. Still better than many of the samplers around today.

Akai MPC3000 - take your pick from the MPC range. Was without an MPC for a few years and then bought an MPC Live. Current / recent MPCs are future classics and great value for money when compared to the extremely restricted offerings from some other companies.

G

3 Likes

I can slice ginger into paper-thin slices, or butterfly a whole chicken… do it all with this one beautiful knife. Purchased in Osaka 10 years ago, use it every day, and I will never willingly part with it.

26 Likes

j2V06W

16 Likes

The Yamaha RM1X.

9 Likes

The System 100 was one of the original drum machines.

1 Like

My pair of Technics SL1210 MK2. Should never have sold them. Beautiful things.

8 Likes

Roland JV880/1080/2080/5080

Im not sure its my top top favorite gear but its really high up there.
For me I love these things because it hits a pretty deep nostalgic nerve. The JV880 was the first actual proper piece of gear that I ever bought. I got it mainly because I wanted something that had lots of sounds/polyphony so I could practice keyboard in order to improve. It sounds really great and of course it has all of the classic “good” Roland stuff which is awesome to me.

I come mostly from a piano playing background and I credit the many hours I have on the JV series for the reason that I was able to become comfortable on a synthesizer. Plus the expansion cards are cool as hell too.

3 Likes

8 Likes

That’s an excellent call. It was a game changer for me when I got my first and I’ve still got a couple of them.

That’s a sexy router. I’ve just started using Makita gear again at work. First battery drill I ever used was a Makita back in the early 90’s when I was just a boy

3 Likes

KC0390

I love these. Simple, elegant, classic.

3 Likes

Just looked it up on “marktplaats” (Dutch eBay like site) - a lot of money indeed…

Screenshot 2022-05-31 at 23.27.11

2 Likes

Aye… the early battery drill with the long handle? 7.5v…

Before that a Stanley Yankee!

Before that a hammer :laughing:

3 Likes

Yup, had a Yankee! My mate is a joiner and he got an Elu a few years after the we got the Makita at work. Forerunner of DeWalt as you know. That was like night and day! When I was a boy I worked with an old boy who still bent tube with a piece of timber. And another guy who we used to get in to joint paper/lead to armoured. He was retired but he’d worked his life down the pit, swore like 5 dockers and always had tab on the go but it was fascinating watching him melt the lead in a crucible and sweat the joint and wipe it off. A lost art.

3 Likes