Stone cold classic gear

What are your absolute favourite equipment ever owned? Can be music gear, computers, camera gear, or any other tool/product/vehicle/hobby item which you get or got so much satisfaction from using. Can be old or new, still owned or long gone.

Wax lyrical, say why you adore it/them.

I’ll post some of mine later.

8 Likes

That could take a while.

5 Likes

Oh wait, I already did this - on the back page of every issue of Computer Music for, like, a decade.

21 Likes

I’ve always loved the Reaktor FX “The Finger”
Before the finger I was closely following the BeatLookUp thread by Chris List.
It was an attempt at rebuilding a device Tim Exhile had made prior to the Finger.

The Finger went above and beyond by being able to stack 6 fx in the order you pressed the keys, as well as velocity sensitivity.
It’s SO satisfying to “play” fx on a keyboard in this manner.
IT really shines if you set up your own preset and dial it in over time, using your favorite aspects of the fx.
The comb filters and all other filters can really offer a playable way to effect music.

After moving into pretty much a hardware only rig, I still always try to figure out how I can put the Finger in the mix in a simple way.
If someone made a piece of hardware that did such a thing it would absolutely be the coolest FX device ever.

8 Likes

Synth wise I’d prob put my Pro One near the top of the list. Owned for many years, fettled with, stripped, serviced and cleaned but most of all played.

Vinyl wise…, god, where to start… Dreams Of Santa Anna by Orange Lemon, Funk Boutique by The Cover Girls, Movin On by Techno Age… I could go on (and on and on!)

Tools… My trusty blue handled Estwing hammer mainly because I’ve had all my tools stolen twice and both times the Estwing wasn’t with them… it’s fate! Sadly my Elliot Lucas pliers went the first time. I know two guys who’ve both got sealed pairs, brand new but won’t part with them! Someone gave me a pair of shagged old ones; useless for sparking with but they still come in handy. Long time Knipex user now but I still miss my black handles babies!

Basses… got to be my 1985 MK1 Wal Custom but I dearly love my Aria Pro’s too, an SB1000 and an SB900.

3 Likes

My 1997 Jeep Wrangler. Hard to tote twins around so sadly I sold it.

@Bunker I have a blue handled Klein hammer that is over 20 years old. I love it, only tool to last that long. I’ve dumpster dived twice to retrieve it.

7 Likes

I totally get you. We love our Tools!

It’s funny, I was tidying up the back of the van earlier and I thought “I wonder if I should start a favourite tool thread”

3 Likes

Original Nintendo. Things never seem to die. Encapsulates a good chunk of my childhood and always brings about that nostalgic feel.

Swiss Army Knife. In case you got something in your teeth and also need to trim a bit of your mustache with those lil scissors, hahaha

9 Likes

The Yamaha CS-80. Symonds drum kit. Pipe organ(forget the name but German i think). Harpejji.

4 Likes

my sony mzr37 minidisc recorder

used it 7-8 years now as a studio swiss army knife…never fails to do what i need & captures audio beautifully

it’s my favorite “notepad” for wip pieces and unless it breaks i’ll keep it forever

3 Likes

circa 1982

7 Likes

pixel 2xl Panda.

it was magic.

18:9 aspect ratio - wider than today’s ratio’s of choice so the screen real estate felt more generous to the eyes.

haptics were tight, solid thumps with a bit of heft in the lower end.

aluminium chassis & weight distribution gave a really good feel in the hand. Much nicer than glass imo.

Camera - simple, yet pretty much industry leading for stills (at the time)

black on white with orange power button. :heart:

stock android with them haptics n build. ah, twas a thing of beauty.

I currently have a 4xl & 5 (I’m a pixel nut, lol) spoilt with 90hz screens now so the 2xl would be showing its age im sure, but it was a game changer for me.

stone cold classic

1 Like

Elektron Monomachine

7 Likes

Only recently had to let this go, I had it 19 years, well over a third of my life.

14 Likes

7 Likes

Absolutely! I love Victorinox army knives and have several models, from very small to large.

My favourite music related gear are cassette tapes. I love the portability, the sound and that you can make loops.

2 Likes

+1 - used this daily for almost 20 years for so many things

5 Likes

Boss BD-2 guitar pedal. Have used it for so many things over the years, both with guitar and synths. Clean boost, drive, distortion, etc. One of my favorite and most used pieces of gear.

2 Likes

Strings:
Strat
Tele
Precision
Jazz

Keys:
Nord Wave (mk1)
Studio Electronics ATC-1 / ATC-X

Things:
EchoFix tape echo
SM57/58