Stimming’s Instant Mastering Chain

No gig yet. There was maybe a stream I wanted to do but I canceled it because of the state I’m currently in. Still have to recover before I dare to start performing again. Hopefully soon. But yeah definitely still happy with the IMC :slight_smile:
Cool to hear it performed well on your gig !

1 Like

Look at the Carbon, that is marketing. (no need for carbon full laminate!? weird man) it’s no Lambo.
Look at the psu, that is cheap. Well maybe 150,- and next to the Carbon the most expensve elements?
Do i have the unit. NO. But i know it’s old tech in a new jacket.
I know how good stuff sounds, Emperical labs, Culture vulture, i have been in 100K studio’s

No presets is an easy way of making it a cheap simple analog design that has been proven.
What you need in a club is something that has light to see, and a couple of presets or maybe one knop to dial in. it’s a bit funny since i only experienced to get the volume under controle instead of not being to loud!? With modular analog gear?

Back in the days i programmed for every track a mastering chain in my G2 Nord modular rack with program change. Does not every track need tweaking?

Look, i want the best for Stimming, and Doctron.
But keep it real, evolve.

Don’t make things overpriced so the clone masters will cross you.

P.s. i am almost 50 and out the clubscene and this is the first time i am a bit critical online.

2 Likes

Thank you for putting this up front.

11 Likes

@jemmons do you have the unit?

I can buy it, but can not rationalise this one.

I believe If the sound is based on api 2500 and britisch eq is good.

But the Carbon thing just makes no sence for such a small device. It makes me think of perfume were the bottle is more expensive then the content…

How many gram did they win you think?

Is this the most un-Elektronauts topic here or what? Sounds more like comment sections from music mags half of the time …

10 Likes

Probably should not, but I cannot help but respond.

I think you’re vastly overestimating how much the BoM influenced the actual price and how much such a small piece of carbon would cost. R&D, 1-man operation on request by an artist (that helped in development and testing), and a projected amount of sales that are probably in the tens rather than the hundreds (total assumption on my end by the way but going by serial numbers I suspect this), all have a much bigger influence. This device falls into a niche within a niche. If you want studio equipment like culture vulture and the like, you go for that. But you won’t be lugging that around to gigs most likely.

if you’re going for as small and as light as possible in combination with a no-compromises design, then why not go full on nerd and slap a piece of carbon on there? I don’t think anybody buying this (myself included) was tipped over the edge to buy this based on the fact that carbon housing was used.

Most of your other wonderments and critiques were covered in previous posts :).

Cheers

22 Likes

After being in the club scene for 60 years and been in 200K! studios, I personally always bring my Fairchild to gigs. None of that carbon fiber nonsense on my stage!!!

6 Likes

I’ve been in 800K!! apartments. Now that has to be better than 200K studios :crazy_face:

2 Likes

I’ve been in my mom’s basement! So there!

2 Likes

There’s a certain entitlement that creeps up on many musicians (especially online) where they interpret the existence of something not made for them as a personal insult or threat. Someone should do a psychology study on this.

8 Likes

Personally, I felt the criticisms were fair and I didn’t sense any entitlement. It seems like everyone is ganging up on dude for having a personal opinion.

I appreciate hearing both sides.

6 Likes

Well, I can totally relate, why produce stuff that’s not for me. But half the time those are wrong when they like stuff that’s not for ME!

I am as far from the target audience as possible.
(I’ll not have a single live gig in my life, it’s just a hobby)

I find it cool that strimming was answering himself here.

Reading through it, it does not seem like a musician or audio engineer product, and more like a personal convenience and audiophile thing. There are probably way cheaper and more readily available options (first and foremost going to the digital domain with a high quality audio interface, doing the quick master, and sending that out to the in house crew…). But I do get the convenience… But not for the price with that feature set. There is a little bit to much hand waving going on in this thread.

At the same time, people enjoy what they enjoy, if strimming can create a product that does exactly what he wants, that sounds great to me (doing something similar on a tiny scale currently). And if somebody else likes it, sure, buy it.

If anything, one could say that Stimming probably mentions his master chain a bit too often when talking about his setup. Last time he played in my city, he also offered a little production workshop before that were he was apparently also presenting his master chain (was already mentioned in the program info). But then again, why forbid yourself to talk about something you use in your setup and production for a good reason and went to the length of developing it for your needs? I don’t suspect he’s after making big money with this thing, so why not.

3 Likes

Well the thing is, i am a little more experienced then young-stars, (and so are you) putting a name on a device is like a quality stamp. Young people trust that. So there is a responsibility.

Facts:

Stimming contacted yt’ers and willing to pay for review.
Hey collected all his well known famous friends to endorse it.
There is now a 500 serie’s model, witch makes more sense for a non laptop gig or studio.
It’s on Thomann… Boutique?

I worked part time in the high end composite industry. If you would have come to me with this idea i would have said design it in (ppe) plastic or steal. Carbon makes NO sense for this item. It just looks expensive.

The only use that makes sense to me is a gig with laptop, high-end converter, IMC.

But then again. why not build a small 500 series set, with your own taste. Some modules come with preset recall these days. (invest in a craneborn audio 500r8 or something…like that)

Or when a modular artist, start with a premium linear psu and build the best comp, eq, summing, tube saturation in you rig?

If your gigging full blown with 30% of your studio. It does not really matter that one item is in Carbon.

My advise is make a poor man’s edition, look at FMR RNC or an upgraded AH type of unit.
More and more digital devices use 32bit float. A nice Hybrid set could also be interesting.

Look i wish Doctron a healthy business and evolving into a premium brand.
But keep it real.

I think that you are really locked into the carbon fiber part being a huge part of the price tag and I do not agree lol. I have several carbon fiber hockey sticks, they’re nice and light, that’s why they cost more. If this was made entirely of metal it would weigh more, that’s why there’s carbon fiber - to keep the weight down if you have to put it in a travel bag. And there’s only carbon fiber on the top and sides, FYI, the rest is metal and it’s durable (and it comes with a nice foam travel case too btw). I’ve gigged with my IMC several times now both locally and at far-away gigs. It fits in my backpack and it’s about the size of a good book.

Almost 700 posts into the thread it’s kind of turned into folks just saying over and over they won’t buy it like Stimming put a gun to their heads lol.

13 Likes

Nice i used to play icehockey to. and i can tell you as graduated industrial designer worked for the the largest compositie factory in the world.

And i had them in the office….

Carbon is very rare to chooce as a material!
I had designers that wanted to use Carbon to MAKE iT LOOK high tech or Expensieve.
Or using prepreq because they liked the tech.

I know the logic behind weight / strengt.

I did check the design and popping two sides of Carbon is even more obvious it’s for show. E-Glass/epoxy is alsmost the same.

Aramid would have been a more logical choise since its less brittle when you drop it.

Please enlighten me on how many gram they won with using Carbon?

that’s a really weird hill to die on, who cares about materials and marketing and price, if people like it they buy it, if it fits their needs and does what they want then who cares about materials?
some people complain the AH for being too expensive for what it is, some AR, some A4, hell, some even complain the models are too expensive…
who cares? if it suits one’s needs and it costs X then X it is…
why bother and waste time on proving that ot doesn’t work for them because MaTEriALs?
it’s a box, it does something, you like it - you get it, you don’t like it - don’t get it, simple!

I want to hear people’s performances with this box, just post something to stop this silly materials debate

side note
I ride steel bikes, I don’t like or want carbon bikes, I think they’re overpriced and silly unless you’re doing Paris-Roubaix and you’re sponsored, but I’m not going to waste my life to argue about that with someone who wants to buy a carbon bike!

12 Likes

Yes it’s to silly

For me it’s also a bit funny. Lol

And i just don’t want that people buy things that are a bit of snake oil.

If it’s a “inspired on” api 2500 with britisch eq and a non smps psu i really believe it sounds and works good!

I like high end gear. 2 people have sent me a link af the IMC. But did not care at that time…

It popped up again on yt so i took a better look and listen.

Let it be clear all the best to Stimming and imc users.

But its just informative to read about products before you buy them.

And i believe Andy Warhol Saïd something like: don’t read what they write about you messeure the text in inches :wink:

the 500 series looks pretty interesting, it’s fairly priced imo. pretty boutique kit and probably not made in massive quantities like more popular 500 series brands

Personally, i would rather spend a lil more money and get something like Zahl Eq1 + a nice stereo or 2x mono comp but this will take up more room and be much harder to use in a live setting especially with weird lighting/angles of access

I can see where the doctron fits in for live, and i’ve heard personally from a trusted engineer that this thing sounds fantastic so without trying myself I imagine it’s not too over priced

It’s informative to read about them, mostly from people that are actually using it or talking about specs, possible uses and sound etc. Not post after post about the trivial carbon fiber. Maybe Srimming just likes the look of carbon fiber and it saved a few grams. Who gives a damn.

Unfortunately you pretty much completely ignored my response to your first post and simply keep repeating what you said in that same post.

Calling this snake oil or comparing it to audiophile stuff is quite laughable to be frank :slight_smile:
Also would like to add that your comments regarding “youngsters” are quite patronizing. And this device is not really aimed at the group that you describe either with its price tag and being a very specific niche product.

I’m using mine a lot lately while preparing for a new solo live setup and a new setup with a mate of mine. It does what it is supposed to do and it does it well. And it is incredibly small, which is great.

I’ve used the analog heat and OTO boum in similar ways. You can even setup octatrack in a similar way. You can create a similar effect in Ableton / Push standalone as well obviously. Have tried all these methods and they work. Some better than others and each one with a different end result and sound.

22 Likes