Stimming’s Instant Mastering Chain

I suspect that this might have to do with the DOA stage. Which might be amplifying the sound a bit before the compressor.

Because that is the actual point of the drive circuit. It clips the signal, rounding off the peaks. If you push it too far it goes into total distortion. If you push it to the edge, you “chop” the peaks of the signal off and therefore are able to higher the overall signal. Which is, very similar to what one can achieve with a limiter. Hence my comment about that. Saturation in itself can be seen as a form of compression.

Because it’s impossible for the compressor to work at 0 seconds at full capacity. This is what the attack handles. So the transients of the sound will go through uncompressed pretty much as the attack stage handles how long it takes before the compressor works at full capacity. The attack cannot be 0ms. This is how compression works. It lowers the signal in volume. So it’s logical that the RMS becomes much lower, since that is how RMS works. It measures the avarage loudness in a certain window of time (300ms, I just looked that up). So you see that the avarage volume drops as the compressor is lowering the volume of the signal. But the peaks are not lowered as much since they don’t get compressed at full force immediately. Hope this makes it clear for you.

The drive happens AFTER the compression circuit. As I mentioned before you are in a way limiting the signal as peaks clip.

As mentioned you are contradict yourself here with point 3. The drive indeed sits after the compressor.
To answer your question: The reason for this is A. This procedure is explained as the right way to get the optimal drive setting through the transformer, and B. This makes sense since you first drive the signal into distortion, then compress the signal as much as needed to get it just short of that distortion. Thus limiting the signal. of course one could do it the other way around as well. Keep drive at 0, compress until you are pleased with the sound, then higher the drive until you hear it distort and dial it back a little. The downside of this is that when you compress the signal gets lower in volume. So to hear it well and to compensate you’d want to add gain. But once you then start to use drive to clip the signal it becomes super loud. So starting with drive, start very loud, then compress, thus lowering the volume. Basically two birds with one stone in a sense. (If that makes sense)

Two differ approaches where I guess the former is to get your level as loud as possible. And the latter to gain the most pleasing compression amount. There’s no right or wrong here really. Both methods can also end at the same result. This is why I go back and forth between settings until I’m pleased with the balance between sound and loudness.

You are comparing loudness levels in two different realms of audio here which doesn’t make much sense. In the digital domain things are measured at full scale (dbfs) and in the analog domain things are measured in dBu. Changes in one domain happens relatively the same as in the other domain. However, 0dBu = -18dBfs. So you can see that the numbers on the front panel work on level measurements in dBu not dbfs. So what you wrote here doesn’t add up.

If you want to hear the IMC clearly compress the signal, listen to the part where I am working on the break of the track. You can hear the pad sounds pump really heavily (even more than they are in the track itself) after I engage the IMC.

Hope this clears it up for you. And please, next time, try approaching a discussion and questions with a bit less of an aggressive and defensive manner. Then you can expect an open conversation and answers to your questions in a normal manner as well.
And from my end, I do apologize for the one comment where I said that your opinion doesn’t mean anything because you haven’t tried the unit. I shouldn’t have said that.

Cheers and have wonderful holidays everyone. I’m signing off of the forum for a little while.

51 Likes

🫶

2 Likes

I just wanted to provide a counterpoint to the “if it’s not reviewed online, it’s not a good product” idea. Here are a couple clips of professional musicians you have heard of using IMC in their hardware live acts:

• Carl Cox:
  • JakoJako:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CvhyQYpgwIR/

People are out there using this product in its intended setting, they’re just too busy gigging to spend time talking about it on discussion boards.

13 Likes

It only arrived this morning, so take all of this with a pinch of salt:

Initial impressions are that it’s less of a colour-box than the +FX (it has a lot less mid-range saturation/drive potential), but the +FX sounds muffled in comparison – the IMC has way more headroom and clarity. I don’t seem to need to fight it as much to find a sweet spot, most settings sound good. The input/output knob markings do seem to be misleading: I think there’s about 10-12db of overall gain with them both set at "0"dB. Compressor is more subtle than I was expecting, and I can’t get the sidechain to do much (but I’m sure that’s my error). I can already tell it will work better for me as an end of chain mastering box, getting me much closer to the sound of a finished mix, AND the loudness I want for live-streaming, completely in the analog domain!

I’ll play with it for a few days till I understand it better, then do some science-y tests and comparisons.

8 Likes

Re the IMC compressor, I liked Stimming’s comment on it in a previous post in this thread - see point (4) of his post:

4 Likes

point taken and appreciated.
English is not my first or even second language, and I was under the impression that this was a common shortened for both “transformer” and “transistor”. Very sorry for getting this very wrong. People who tried to ‘correct’ my presumed mistakes re:IMC could’ve done much better showing this real misuse.

of course not. Again, I just read “dialing back” as “bringing back” as clearly seen in my question. But both points still stand, ie how far do you dial it back? You dare calling my argument bullshit again, but the reality is still there: 3dB above the T, 1.5dB compressed at most — this won’t make your drive clipping go away. Other inconsistencies are there too. You just ignore it all and ridicule others for no reason at all, grasping on simple language mistakes.
Very poor, and you know that. Have some respect to the readers, if not myself

if there was such an idea, it wasn’t mine. Why creating strawmen again? The idea was the complete absence of any mentions for years. And it was not a major point even there. “Intended settings” you repeat without knowing intended functioning — otherwise, again, what does T do? is there limiter, what settings does it have? how about gain added by default?
Going by endorsers, whether Carl or Ritchie, and missing the rest is just that — why bother with reviews at all?

Thanks for that, so this is confirmed and even way above +8…+9dB I presumed.

Waiting patiently. There’re some real simple tests to dis/prove the Threshold lowering the Drive, it is crucially important. Same with the presumed presence of the Limiter.
+
AH is a distortion unit (‘colour box’), IMC is a compressor+limiter with some drive, AH attenuates your input silently by more than -10dB, IMC boosts it by 10dB… the only thing in common they have is EQ. AH is not built to be ‘end of chain’ 2bus device, if only for some slight saturation (evidently its designed for more than a slight saturation), so naturally IMC fits the purpose better. Yet, we do not call anything that can be put on 2buss a “mastering” device, much less so a compressor w/o meters, input or make-up gain… To each their own, it’s just rarely useful calling a 200bpm track a downtempo one.

I’ll read into DM’s reply tonight and answer separately

1 Like

I’m sorry, but give me a break.

That’s exactly the point you’re trying to make here.

7 Likes

I’m using the IMC along with a few other mix processing boxes on the end of my almost entirely analog-hardware rig with the purpose of being able to record, play-live, and livestream with no real need for any post processing. I don’t really mind what you call that. I was using the +FX, and the Boum before it for this same purpose.

It sound so good I’m able to hear things in a new way, and tweak the gain-staging and eq of the mix running into it, and loving the results in the studio, on my hi-fi and car stereo. Everything is simultaneously sounding clearer and more glued together. I’m sticking with an if it sounds good, it is good approach.

I still plan on objectively testing the unit; hopefully over the holidays I’ll find time to record a video or post some measurements. But I will say if there is a limiter I’m miles off it on with my gain staging, and I’m safely hitting my converters at -18LUFS, -3dBFS – with a lot of dynamic range – so I can squish the mix a bit more if I want to. I want a higher headroom DAC now :face_with_head_bandage:

11 Likes

Cool. Where can we listen to your music (with or without IMC)?

There’s some random home noodles on

But I’m working on a new collaborative project that I’m super excited about. I’ll share details when it’s public.

6 Likes

Just pulled the trigger and ordered one. A year without gigs (obvious reasons), so in 2024 I have to double up. New live set is working as I’d hoped and this will be the cherry on top.

29 Likes

There’s nothing else really like it. Can’t wait to see/hear how you use it!

1 Like

I think you tried around different setups throughout the last year or two right? What’s the setup? What mixer did you choose for live?

1 Like

Yeah indeed. Have been experimenting with various combinations over the years and since a year or so have been focussing on creating a true improvisation setup. Various reasons for this but mainly I just want to be able to switch things on and create whatever comes to mind on the fly more or less without preparations.

This is the current setup;

Current mixer is model 1.4. Really fits perfectly with push 3 + adat interface.

3 Likes

Dominion 1 on stage? Very dope! Wish i hadn’t sold mine.

1 Like

Ah interesting! I remember you experimenting with the Bluebox. But this move to this mixer doesn’t surprise me, big knobby mixers just work so well for this. And nice that the dominion is back. Push for looping amongst other things?

Enjoy the new live rig/set of 2024!

1 Like

Thanks ! :pray:
Push is doing multiple things. Mostly a pre-mixer and heavy fx processor, 1 synth, 1 drum rack and some other stuff :slight_smile:

Yeah I agree. Knobby mixers are just wonderful to play with. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice setup.

The only thing with the Model 1.4 + IMC is that you’ll be flying blind with output level metering because of the lack of a master insert. But I’m sure you’ll find a way to mitigate that.

1 Like

Thanks.
A master insert would have been nice for sure .
dont have to fly completely blind though since you can make sure the IMC in and output levels match in the studio. Then its just a matter of keeping an eye on the mixer output level not going over a certain level.

1 Like

How did the gig with the IMC go? I had one on the 6th about two weeks ago, still in love with this unit. I had this thread muted for a bit, thought I’d come back in and check after I saw the IMC in your setup last month.

1 Like