Sticky buttons - any solution?

I had already shipped it. As soon as it was authorized, it went out the door.

If they wanted to give me a label, they would have. They know it’s a problem and their procedure is for the customer to pay one way of the shipping. Which isn’t right for a known factory defect they are unwilling to recall because they don’t know which serial numbers are a problem.

However, the A4 MKII above shows this is a systemic QR problem.

It takes days to hear back from them anyway. I’ve waited long enough “trying to work it out” by tapping it. It’s really annoying and it didn’t “work it out”.

Yes I was told by zzounds that I would be charged a 15% re-stocking fee if there were any signs of wear. There were signs because I tried to “work out the sticky buttons” over the course of a few weeks.

So, I contacted Elektron as a cheaper, more time consuming alternative. I was wrong. The shipping was slightly cheaper than returning it. But then I weighed the chance that I might get another defective unit from a retailer to getting a fix from Elektron and I went for it.

I bought another one to use for the month or so my original will be gone. So far only one key sticks once in a while. Seems if I tap it at an angle, like bottom pushing up, it doesn’t stick.

I have no problems with my Octatrack MKII.

Sexcellent dude.

Can I put you on retainer?

Hi there. I own a digitakt for 5 weeks now, and I like very much. Since the beginning I had some (2-3) sticky buttons. Here is my solution which may help you to fix the sticky buttons. For me it worked perfect. Buttons go very easy now.
Here is what I did:
At first I took a good look at my buttons. I noticed that the distance of the buttons to each side was not equal. They all seemed a bit closer to the right side of the top plate. I assume that is the problem, the buttons get stuck on that side due to contacting the plate.
To fix this I

DISCONNECTED POWER from Digitakt,

then

1. Completely removed the six screws on the top.
  2. Opened careful the top.
    There is one board fixed in the base, and one board on the top (this one with the buttons, display etc.). Both board are connected with 2 cables. You can kind of swing it open to the top half without disconnecting the cable connectors.
  3. If you look now on the bottom part of the top plate you see the board with the buttons is fixed with some screws (about 8 as I remeber correct) to the top plate.
    I just loosened all those screws a bit.
  4. Now it was possible to change the postion of the board in relation to the top plate. I did changed it, so that the buttons where in the middle of each ones holes.
  5. Screwing the loosened screws tight again.
  6. Testing the perfect working buttons.
  7. Put the top plate back in place, screwing the top plate onto the base box.
    Fixed. :grinning:

If you try this please be sure the POWER CORD is DISCONNECTED from Digitakt.

I hope it can help some of you.

9 Likes

Yes, Elektron should definitely do this!

Or …

Authorize this DIY with instructions. And so that it doesn’t void your warranty

I have an AR2 preordered that I should be getting in about a week. If it has any sticky buttons it’s going back to the retailer immediately.

3 Likes

Thats the only way to deal with such a defekt. I‘ve send one DT back because it had a sticky button (2), got it immediatly replaced (Germany).

1 Like

This is the only clear solution… I sent back 2 A4 MK2s before finally getting what I payed for…

1 Like

I’m sure Elektron won’t endorse your suggestion, but I like it!

I’m patiently waiting for two buttons (kick and snare) to loosen up. If they don’t, it’s getting exchanged before the 1st month exchange period ends; next week. I’ve already had to swap it’s faulty PSU. And there’s other issues too, like freeze and buttons not responding.

But is it just an alignment issue (could be weak springs)? And if so, there’s an equal risk of making more buttons stick when reassembled. If I had no other option I’d try it for sure, and even hone the faceplate edges, as suggested by @phaelam

But for now, I’m trying to press kick and snare as much as possible. Mostly when it’s switched off.

Edit: after some thought and looking at my agenda for February, I just can’t afford to waste time or risk failure on a 2nd DT. Time spent on the DT’s quirks, I’m already behind on lots of work. I’ll be asking for a full refund, and if possible might grab a MkI rhythm if there’s any left. Bass guitar and Cello samples will have to wait.
:cry:

Unique squared on Reverb.com had some
rytm mki for $999

I wish you good luck with your decision. But in my case it was just pure misalignement. You can check this with a flashlight shining direct from above onto the buttons. Then the green board shines through the space between each button and faceplate. If it looks offset to one side you could try my method. All you need is a Hex ( or Allen) Screwdriver 2mm. In my opinion, there is no great danger to harm the digitakt - just use common sense and do it careful.
Anyway wish you the best.

1 Like

Returned and refunded with no hassle.
Will check it out again in a year or so with a new production lot.

But was happy to find out the AR is as capable with general sample play as it is with drum samples.
So, a few $$$ more for 2/3rd’s of the Digitakt, but a whole lot more in other capabilities.
Happy customer.

I swear I’m not picking a fight, but seriously, you’re happy with this experience?

You bought something defective on 3 levels: PSU, buttons sticking and “freezing” and you had to return it.

I’m disappointed.

It’s like going out for dinner and they burn your steak, they add something your allergic to that wasn’t listed as an ingredient and the waiter dumps hot coffee in your lap. So they refund you. They don’t compensate you with a free dinner on the house.

You leave saying “Man! I’m happy!!! I got a free dinner!!! Yeah!!! And I know not to order the steak next time”

Believe me, if you got this service at a restaurant, you’d be calling a lawyer for the 3rd degree burns and emergency room visit.

1 Like

It’s ok for you to be unhappy with your experience as much as its ok for that person to feel happy about theirs. But telling people how they should feel over their own subjective experiences… When you do that it does seem like you are picking a fight.

No one has been injured by their Digitakt. If Digitakt were exploding or catching fire you may have something there.
People already know the digitakt are flawed.

I know where you’re coming from. But what I meant was, I’m a happy customer of the retailer. They were always helpful, provided technical support, replaced the faulty parts they could, and when the other malfunctions were verified to be more than simple running-in issues, they offered a full refund. They’d have done it sooner if I asked, but I wanted to make sure it didn’t just need a good running in.

They always treated me courteously, never put pressure on me or suggested that I was at fault. There was none of this “we’ll send it away and get back to you in a few weeks”, or “it’s not our fault it’s Electrons fault so cop it sweet mate and f^<k off”.

The way you were treated is atrocious. Your retailer should be named, shamed and black-listed. You have every right to go ballistic over this. Compared to your experience, I’m happy with mine.

ps: I’m subconsciously channeling all my ill will toward people with working DT’s

Mine is fine and making me millions, millions i tell ya. I also have a loving family, a cool car, people contacting me for great gigs every day and a super sweet dong.

Of course I have none of this, or anything of note in my life really, but my DT works flawlessly.

6 Likes

You have us

3 Likes

Thanks James. I’m glad you understood my intent.

Yes, your retailer did the right thing. Mine did not. Although they are usually fantastic.

What happened is that they have a stock letter that goes out regarding returns with signs of wear.

The guys on the phone just read the script.

What annoyed me with them is that I bought a replacement and they didn’t express ship it as they said they would.

I told them to have the package re-routed.

They then wanted to hold my money until they processed the return.

They finally expedited the refund after I finally got angry.

I try to be cool. But this nice guy attitude isn’t working out.

Thanks again man.

1 Like

Based on the experienced you’ve shared I will never utilize zzounds as a retailer.

2 Likes

They’re usually pretty easy to deal with.

So, they issued a return label within a day. But threads here had me convinced that in a week it would work itself out. It got worse.

I then called them and they issued a second label within 24 hours. But they said any signs of wear would suffer a re-stocking fee. Huh?

I looked it over and there were subtle scratches from moving it around and re-routing cables.

Ok. So contact Elektron. This goes on for a week.

Then I ship to Elektron and I get a message that I’ll be without the Digitakt for a month.

I call ZZOUNDS and explain the situation. They guy says I’ll get it next day. Then I see it was shipped ground from half away across the continent, delivery set for the following week.

Then when I call, I get these snarky kids trying to buck up with their corporate talk script. They have to receive the “return” and process it. What?? It’s not a return. I never received it. So, they added insult to injury TWICE. Lying about express shipping and then trying to hold my funds for their own convenience.

I finally got a supervisor and he sounded defeated and embarassed. He says he’ll have a processor process the return promptly, which he did.

I’ve accepted my fate. No Digitakt for a while.