Stem splitters, whats the best? Is lalal.ai worth the cost?

Yeah, perhaps someone can give a real-world use when it’s out.

Serato Sample has 16 stereo outs including the master out. Each cue point or zone you set in your sample can be routed to any of these 16 separate stereo outs.

You can then route the 16 stereo outs however you want from your daw.

1 Like

Good to know, cheers.

Been giving the Serato update a go over lunch, its very impressive!
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/E848HAlTQlQ

2 Likes
1 Like

Low key genius rickroll there

1 Like

Haha!, couldn’t resist :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Updated to Serato Sample 2.0 being a long term occasional user and it being a free update, but the stem separation isn’t a match for laial, by a long margin

Most of the tracks i quickly played with last night sounded unusable as stems, but it is still good software and some resukts aren’t too bad

2 Likes

That said, the stem bleed can produce some interesting results, but it’s roughly on par with RX8 imo, or maybe a bit worse than that

sorry to hear that

Yeah this is a quick splitter which is ok, but Stem Roller is free.

2 Likes

I had switched to UVR 5 for a while and was getting very nice results for free. Then, just for kicks, I decided to give RipX a try.

Late to the party here, but WOW. RipX isn’t going to replace my DAW, but as a stem separation and remixing tool, I’m kind of blown away. The quality of the separation is great, but it’s the DAW-like UI with insane editing capabilities for the stems and the unique way it treats audio and MIDI as one that’s really winning me over.

I’ve tried it with 3rd party tracks and loops, my own songs, and even AI generated music, and it performs like a champ. Being able to graphically cleanup in-editor and even reassign fragments of one stem to another is pretty insane, but then to also assign new sounds, change musical phrases, add harmonies, fix timings, etc. all in a single color-coded stems-based UI … never seen anything like it.

On the plus side, even though I’ve been sleeping on this, my delay means that I’m jumping on the train of a product that’s had a chance to mature for a bit.

Side note, I have a pretty good GPU and have installed the recommended CUDA tools, so stem separation is very fast.

Raw fidelity with UVR 5 may or may not be better for certain use-cases, I haven’t done a side-by-side yet. However, I’m certain that having all of the editing and deep control built into RipX as an integrated system with a unified UI is giving me better overall end results.

Downside? It ain’t free, and unfortunately, many of the features I like are in the Pro version. But as a creative tool for the music I’m doing, it’s going to be worth it.

sigh

on musicradar Gaudio Studio (free but online) won among other five. here the article:

I havent tested any of them.

Yes, so far there are no paid services that are that much better (than the Meta library Stemroller adds a UI) to justify their subscription service costs.

@DJSpaceP the next time you run a pass, can you zip the output of Stemroller and do the same with RipX and up to cloud storage? I’d be interested to compare the two.

I use stem separators for reverse engineering some of my favorite tracks to look into vocal and bass performance, drum programming. It’s pretty fun since many of the post-punky tracks I assume are robotic bass playing are… not “sloppy” but much more aggressive in articulation than I put together in my head :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Im not expecting much from the akai stem separation for their boxes as the hardware isn’t so powerful
Certainly don’t expect good realtime separation
Offline will likely be ‘ok’ but not the best

Apologies, but I’m not a Stemroller user. Side note, I took a look but the website doesn’t seem to currently work correctly for me, at least on my machine.

Also, I’ve temporarily (maybe permanently?) nuked UVR 5 and its models from my hard drive to free up space since I’m having such a good experience with RipX at the moment.

1 Like

No worries if it doesn’t work for your setup, I was just curious to see what the value-add is :slight_smile:

I recently tried out Spectralayers Pro 10 which came with my Soudforge Suite license. It’s pretty amazing at unmixing tracks.

It’s not something I find myself wanting to do often but it’ll be damned good when I need it.

Audacity added stem splitting in their new release.

6 Likes

FWIW I built one to suit my needs – https://stems.app

Features:

• Can paste a Youtube URL and split super easily
  • Lives on the desktop so you can customize download paths
  • Analyzes Key + BPM so you can easily go back through your catalog and find the Stem you need.

I’m biased but think it sounds better than Lalal.ai. It uses demucs v4 which is pretty state of the art. Check it out! Lmk what y’all think :slight_smile:

10 Likes