Status Update on Overbridge [posted February 2018]

I want an atm in my AR mk1 that withdrawals cash… :joy:

2 Likes

Actually, there’s a more constructive way of discussing this. How could Elektron make it up to me haha

Here’s my contribution:

Dual VCO, tuned lfo’s and variable env slopes on RYTM
Glide/Portamento on DN, Arp on midi, variable slopes on envelopes
ability to mono sum direct outs on A4

2 Likes

Overbridge is going to be free when it comes out at this point. I would assuse this is part of “making it better”. Can be seen as a good or bad thing.

Try to consider this without ire cause I’m sure it doesn’t match your view but I’ll going to throw it out there.
Overbridge at 50$ a pop just for the digitakt would have made the company a massive amount of money. It’s been said on this board by an elektron employee that the digi has sold more in its first year than the ot has since it released. The mkii machines had it listed as more expensive for their premiums versions of overbridge.
Making it free and losing out on potential profit may have been their first step toward trying to “make it right”.

Again not trying to debate you because you have obviously made up your mind on how you are feeling. Not trying to defend elektron either. Just some info to consider.

2 Likes

If Elektron do realise USB/Windows/MAC are just a total irresolvable ‘pain in the hole’ (as professional developers would call it) I for one would be perfectly happy with hardware firmware enhancements instead. It’s a joy when new features are added to the hardware.

I’d also be mind blown and I mean mmmiiinnndddblllooowwwnnn if Elektron chose to release a detailed Sysex map for the Octatrack.
Control the whole machine remotely - switch effects, choose menu options, play slices …

6 Likes

I understand your perspective. To help you understand mine, think of it this way. When I bought the Analog Four MKI and Analog Rytm MKI, Overbridge was included functionality. It was not always this way, but it was when I bought it. When the Digitakt was announced, they spoke of a new pricing plan for Overbridge. This outraged me because something that I thought was part of the product was now being charged for. I sent in a ticket voicing my displeasure. I’m sure many others did too. OTMKII, A4MKII, and ARMKII all got announced as participating in this pricing plan. I said to myself, there is no way I’m buying these new devices if I have to pay for something I was already getting for free. Then OB delays happened and they decided to make it free again. So from my view, the money aspect was never a factor since to me, it should never have been charged for in the first place.

Also, this…

2 Likes

I don’t mean to stir the pot but buying music hardware isn’t like buying a computer game where you pick up the box and read the back. At least I hope it isn’t for 99.9999% of people.

I guess if you’re relying on the box for details then you have some grounds to be pissed but even a perfunctory look on the web you’d have come across OB woes months ago (years even).

That box would’ve been designed and printed long before OB became the problem child that it is.

Seriously, if it’s such an issue you’re best selling up and moving on. Get back to making music rather than worrying about features you’ve yet to experience.

Not really features I’ve yet to experience. I’ve experienced them, with MKI models. It became a part of my workflow. So now I’m sitting waiting for functionality I used to have.

I doubt we’ll see eye to eye with this. I’d still argue you haven’t used these particular features but moving on…

In any case, with your MK1 experience then you must surely have been even more aware of OB issues. It’s not as I’ve OB has ever been flawlessly stable!

TBH I didn’t use it for the software interface, I used it to stream tracks into the daw. The only thing the software did was be a quick way to audition sounds and move them to the sound pool.

1 Like

I get your perspective, but I’m now confused? Did overbridge1 stop working for your mki devices? Also not understanding how the overbridge2 paid announcement made you upset if you already have ob1 enabled devices. There isn’t an uproar when people pay to upgrade ableton or fl, etc.

Dn was announced after overbridge2 was made free so of course it says that on the box.

Ot will never have overbridge, it’s not possible hardware wise. Be mad but please dont spread misinformation. People do refer to these post as info sources.

I appreciate your position.

I was following the developments as an owner of numerous Elektron boxes and my recollection was that when OB premium was announced there was still going to be OB basic - and it wasn’t in anyway a change of position that had tricked me into buying a specific ‘at purchase inclusion’ that was now an extra.

That said my sensitivity to this might be mitigated by the timing of my purchasing - I only got the DN about 6 weeks ago when OB no-B was a known struggle and my mindset was all about ITB and that B box was the DN.

There is no doubt that Overbridge is seen as a useful perk for many Elektron users but for others it is an absolutely critical dealbreaker requirement. I’m in the former camp for numerous reasons.

3 Likes

No, I sold my MKI devices to get MKII devices. Foolishly apparently. I didn’t mean to say that OT MKII would have Overbridge, only that it’s announcement, and the announcement of the other MKII devices continued the plan of paid Overbridge. (as is also reflected on my boxes).

1 Like

Actually the DN is the one device I don’t really care about having OB for. The one I care the most about is the A4 because I have no solution to get the outputs into my mixer without phase cancellation. There was a huge topic about it, I gave up and decided “i’ll just use overbridge instead”. Except not lol.

Overbridge is like being a 4 year old girl who just got a Barbie doll house made in the 1980’s at a thrift store. While the Barbie house is loads of fun, on the box it shows all the accessories you can’t get for it for but you wish you could.

Then there’s this thread…another story for another time.

3 Likes

I have to admit I’m about a million times more frustrated with my lack of groundbreaking creativity and recording than I can blame lack of Overbridge for!

3 Likes

Overbridge is taking a long time… There’s plenty of ways to use the machines in the meantime even if that was not the intended use case a year ago. If it were me I would have gotten on with it 11 months ago and squeezed whatever I could out of the device to the max.

Having it sit there saying it’s worthless seems a bit much, sometimes you got to roll with the punches and make the best out of a situations, get creative, come up with solutions…

I’m not saying it’s fair or right that the advertised feature is still not available, but just that where there’s a will there’s a way, and lots can be done. If anything just working the device standalone would get one to an awesome level of using it for when OB finally does arrive…

This comment has absolutely nothing to do with making excuses or apologizing for Elektron, so please spare me…

3 Likes

Noted. Thank you for your precisions Simon.

1 Like

This is a dangerous situation for Elektron in the long term if they don’t get it out soon. They will loose many customers because they wont be trusted anymore. It’s similar to the situation with Pioneer and the SP16 where they promised live sampling as an update but then changed there mind. The anger was identical to this thread and many costumers said there done with Pioneer.

5 Likes

I’m sure DSI lost a lot of customers over the bugginess and promised features not delivered on the Tempest as well. And then the discontinuing support while still selling it as a new item with a premium price.

4 Likes

Exactly the longer this goes on the worst it will be for Elektron, there is no good in this for them.

2 Likes