Status Update on Overbridge [posted February 2018]

€100 to enable the sample license on the blofeld contrasts Waldorf with Elektron for me too

1 Like

Huh … so Italy has sharks in its waterways. Learn something new every day!

one of the few things that has disappointed me over the years with elektron was that when the RYTM was released, late in an age of drum machines that progressively pride themselves on the quality of their pads (maschine, mpc, push etc) and the RYTM pads were stiff silicon, just barely better than an old roland.
I expected squishy deep pads that would allow considerable aftertouch control matrix wiggley fun. It was not the case.
to this day i find it more pleasant just to play the trigs when recording…

otherwise though, taking the digitone as their latest creation, is one of their best ever. it is too much of a leap to string together ‘overbridge is delayed = elektron is doomed = i’m selling all my elektron gear’. I don’t think anyone is selling their '69 gibson les pauls just because gibson are kaput.

(are we at 2000 posts yet?)

3 Likes

Beware, at 2000 there will be a lot of bugs!

1 Like

I agree that the hardware on the pads isn’t great, and my hands have gotten sore from holding down the performance pads, but I’ve also managed to get incredibly expressive phrases by using “Func + Synth” and adjusting the velocity and aftertouch parameters. Retrig also helps.

1 Like

First off, I appreciate you taking the time to post on this thread. Thank you.

That said, I feel like this doesn’t really help. You said so yourself that we have no idea what is going on. Why can’t you or someone there tell us, then? Why be so secretive? This really comes down to managing expectations. So much fear/doubt/worry could be alleviated by simply being a bit more open about what is going on. I’m not asking you to divulge the inner workings of the company or details on Overbridge’s implementation. But, I think a simple, high level update on what works, what doesn’t, and what you’re doing about it would go a long, long way towards satisfying peoples’ concerns.

Whatever ends up happening… I hope you and the Elektron team have good luck working through your Overbridge issues! Thanks for all the hard work. =]

4 Likes

If you want to know about OB, all you have to do is check with the online Magic 8 ball.

2 Likes

Before Christmas 2018?

Magic 8 Ball Results

2 Likes

I have posted in other threads that the delay in development is due to Apple and Windows updating the USB drivers in their operating systems. I use OB for my AR and AK and experienced a sharp decrease in bandwidth when I updated to High Sierra. I now have to run each through a separate USB port, even using Overhub.

Obviously, Elektron can’t blame it on another company, but I can and quietly do. I haven’t seen any real aggregate demand for higher USB transfer rate, even from the audio world (typically picky customers), but I have seen plenty of complaints about lack of compatibility due to “updated” versions of software. (I would actually appreciate a real argument for the benefits from someone who is more acquainted with the technology.)

Yet, the “next version” is always pushed out in order to sell more gadgets (and higher priced cables) at the expense of users and other (smaller) companies. The industrial revolution succeeded largely in part to STANDARDIZATION which the digital world seems so willing to ignore.

Addendum: Elektron makes hardware the lasts decades. They are a functional physical asset that will appreciate over time. My computer from 2001 is useless, and the OS is about the same, but MD is still in demand. That is just the nature of the high-end drum machine market and the computer market. The interface between those markets is naturally chaotic, and unfortunately the drum machines lose out to the numbers.

4 Likes

I have been facing the exact same issues when upgrading to High Sierra on my last MacBook Pro! You might have found a part of the answer for such a long delay here.
Although I’m not an expert in USB Bandwidth!
I still have an iMac running with Mountain Lion and this one is still able to stream properly the audio from my AR and A4 Mk1, even though I need to only have those 2 hooked up on USB ports and I can’t add any other type of controller nor Ssd while streaming, it actually works.
However on my High Sierra Mac, from the beginning I can only stream one box at a time otherwise audio is glitchy as hell.
So +1 for the half responsibility from Elektron.

Also when using your hardware or software, rule number 1 is to never do any kind of upgrade before being sure that everything will be stable. At least that’s what I learned for the last 10 yers or so.

I’m not in position of speaking for Mk2 users nor Digiboxes obviously and I haven’t been sold the computer seamless integration thing (which was definitely a bad advert). But I’m still quite confident in Elektron and, at the end of the day (or year maybe), that everything will work fine.

best we can all do is hang on and wish they find their way around this mess.

Im with you guys on this 100%.
Almost got a tempest then found out about their low par handling of things.
The Waldorf Quantum is on tge list, the prophet x absolutely is not.

3 Likes

I understand the desire, but this is never going to happen. Elektron is a company that holds its card to the chest and keeps the customers at (what they think is) a healthy distance. It’s a good strategy for the most part, keeps them safe from getting dragged through the mud over details. We’ve probably all seen companies that take a very different approach; heavy presence on forums, quick and detailed email responses…the folks at strymon and meris come to mind. This accessibility can be quite charming and may help cultivate brand loyalty.

Only, Elektron’s lack of communication is starting to backfire on them and is beginning to relect poorly on the company. I think we all feel bad about this - even those of us whom have never met the likes of Simon and Cenk in person can just tell that they’re solid dudes. Frankly, it’s awkward and uncomfortable to see them squirm because of this situation. Can’t wait till this is behind everyone.

I know he can’t say either way, but no one will ever convince me that Simon wouldn’t say more if he could. But he wants to keep his job, so he can’t.

4 Likes

As the old saying goes
‘You’re damned if you do, and damned if you don’t’

Now I am torn between believing @Ryan or believing Magic 8-Ball.
THE AGONY

Ummmm! Did your 8 BALL have a DREAM?!

I think NOT!

5 Likes

@TonyDS_1 I made a point to watch your video all the way through and I didn’t yawn… I hope others can say the same for my post.

@KOBOL-909 I have no knowledge of Elektron’s capability of anticipating OS updates as I am not in the industry, but I imagine it is pretty difficult to react to arbitrary changes across multiple platforms, especially with a small company. I’d be more like 80/20 in assigning my blame (20 at Elektron, 80 at market forces).

Elektron will deliver. The question isn’t when, but the quality at which they will deliver it at. Given their track record of hardware that lasts decades, I am anticipating that they are developing software that will reliably last through their next line of products with the ability to anticipate OS updates as well.

Forecasting the future isn’t easy, and I imagine that it is difficult to tame the software within the more limited parameters offered to USB1/USB2 by the early generations of USB3 software/hardware. Apparently they “nerfed” parallel USB1/USB2 communications with USB3 drivers. Where USB1/USB2 could send multiple pieces of information in the same message, now it only sends one.

@psyclone001 Yup. The eagle will always peck your liver.

And as the other saying goes, and my grandmothers favourite (bless her soul)
‘You’ve made your bed, now lie in it’

2 Likes

Cypress Hill always said:
“When the shit goes down you better be ready…”
:rofl:

8 Likes

They also said “what goes around comes around”